Broken ankle --6 weeks before cruise--need help

DD broke her ankle (both her lower tibia and fibula) last year and now has pins and plates. 6 weeks post op she still couldn’t put any weight on her foot. Those first 6 weeks she was in a hard splint. In a boot by week 8 and at 25% weight bearing. No way could we have taken her on a trip at that point in her recovery. YMMV.

—Ask her surgeon if she can fly 6 weeks post op. Blood clots are a huge possibility. So is swelling. Otherwise cancel now to minimize your losses. During the flight she’ll have to keep her leg elevated. Would need at least business class seats for that. DD broke her ankle overseas. They advised her to get surgery at home because of these post op issues.

-DD had issues getting into and out of our home shower that has a lip lower than getting into a standard Cabin bathroom. Doubt that an HC Cabin is available at this time. She’ll need a shower chair and a shower leg sleeve. The leg sleeves are only good for a few showers before they stretch out and are no longer water tight. We got ours at CVS.

She’ll also need a way to help herself off the bed and toilet.

We used a bariatric travel chair borrowed from a friend. It worked great because it had larger wheels than a regular travel chair. She took off the foot rests and was able to fold down the handles. She used her good leg for propulsion. DD never figured out crutches, couldn’t use a knee scooter until she was weight bearing. A walker did come in handy at times.

There are motorized scooters that are narrow enough for a standard Cabin door. These need to be stored in the cabin when not in use.

Contact Carnival Special Needs to request a shower chair and rental company info for a scooter.

At home we put pillows under her mattress for elevation, onboard we have used lifejackets when leg swelling becomes an issue.

Edited by SadieN

Swelling and pain will be huge issues for her unfortunately, and if there are any post op complications that pop up, you will not be near her doctors. Doesn't seem like it would be a great trip trip under those circumstances for her (and possible other issues as result of this injury). Not the mention the increased possibility of re-injure or falling as she obviously will not be stable on her feet. I am in the camp that this is exactly why you have travel insurance, this is an emergency circumstance and not the ideal travel conditions. She should not chance it at this point, too many unknowns. Sorry, but this doesn't seem in her best interest to continue with these trip plans. :(

Not too sure which ports the Legend goes to. Last year we were on the Alaska Journeys cruise.

Juneau and Ketchikan both suffer from low low tides and high high tides. In both ports the gangway when debarking was just below or level with the dock. In the afternoon several crew members were needed to push each scooter up the gangway.

- in Juneau quite possibly the Mt Roberts tramway would work. The Visitor Center is accessible.

-Skagway is flat. Don’t remember curb cutouts in the wooden sidewalks. The train would be good, need to confirm how she’d get onto the train.

Sitka has a steep dock up to the building and street, then a school bus shuttles pax into town. Unknown what is arranged for those who cannot go up the bus steps. The Fortress of the Bear is accessible but the walls are 4 1/2 feet tall to look into the enclosures. The lower level of the Bishop’s House is accessible.

The Alaska and Disabled Cruisers boards will have more info for you.

Edited by SadieN

Your Mom will be 6 weeks post op, she most likely will be fine to travel with her Doctor's approval. The Alaskan cruise you are close to ports if necessary and there are Physician clinics in town if necessary. You will know more as you get closer to the travel date so don't cancel unless it is ill advised by her Physician. We have done the Alaskan cruise 4 times and hopefully you have a balcony and you can ask for room service if she doesn't feel like going to the dining room or you can make a Buffet run for her. It will be fine as long as she is healthy and approved for travel, I would get a letter from her Dr. that she is fit to travel as a precaution.

We use this for my Mom( see below) A combination walker/transport chair with footrests that can be stored in the seat. We used it on a cruise and they can be found cheaper online. The Hugo Navigator is about 25 pounds, folds up into a large square and she can use it as a walker or you can flip the back over and use it as a transport chair when in towns. There are other brands out the there too. I know I paid under $200.00 for it. It takes a few minutes to practice setting it up but once you get it figured out it is a great device. I like that this comes with foot rests which you will need on excursions and when she is using it as a walker to get to the bathroom that will come in handy.

Hugo Navigator Combination Rolling Walker + Transport ...- Hugo Navigator Combination Rolling Walker + Transport Chair, Red |

Edited by gwsster

I didn't read the whole thread .... but I have a DH with mobility problems. Your mom's age may add to the difficulty for her to get around without putting weight on the foot. I'm retired and after I had surgery for a shattered elbow requiring a plate and screws it was at least 6 months before I felt "normal"

Your mother's endurance will be low after not being able to walk around for a month and a half. Also she may find using a walker unless it's something like the rollator linked in the post above with big wheels will be difficult for her getting on and off at ports and/or getting around places with cobblestones or sand/soil My suggestion would be to buy a wheelchair before you go - in fact she could use it between now and the cruise. It's not much more expensive to buy one than rent. Check with a medical supply store - it's possible medicare will pay for all or at least some of it. If she's getting Occupational Therapy the therapist will also be knowledgeable on what she's eligible for. The orthopedic office staff may also be able to help.

Carnival does provide wheelchair assistance boarding and last day disembarkation. Our TA contacts Special Needs to let them know. When we reach the port we tell the first employee we see wearing a uniform shirt we need the wheelchair assistance. They will take over the rest of the process. One person is allowed to accompany the one needing assistance. For my DH who can get around (once he gets past the long walk getting aboard even if it's slowly) Carnival provides a wheelchair for the ride and they deposit us on the Lido deck and take the wheelchair away with them.

If you decide to rent a chair it's our experience that Carnival itself does not provide or rent wheelchairs for the actual cruise except for embarkation and disembarkation. You'd need to make arrangements with one of the 2 companies they endorse.

If you think of anything else ... please ask ... we've experienced many of these issues. :)

My 77 year old mom just broke her ankle in 3 places 2 days ago. She will need surgery next week Wednesday to get plates and screws to repair it.

We are going on an Alaskan cruise on 8/21 so now I have to figure out the mobility issues she will have. It will be me, mom and my 12 year old dd going.

Dr. says she cant even step on that foot until 8/20 or so. We are flying in and not sure what to do about a wheelchair/knee scooter etc?

Anyone have any good ideas about handling her mobility needs getting on the cruise and during the cruise? What about excursions, are they accessible? Does it say anywhere which ones are?

Thanks in advance for any advice...this has been a bucket list cruise that we have been planning since jan 2017...there is no way she isn't going :)

I am hoping that you had travel insurance!!! My DW broke her leg at the ankle several years ago, right before a cruise!

We rescheduled and the insurance handled the rest. Traveling is hard enough, IMHO...don't complicate it by traveling with an injured person. It just takes a toll on everyone....including the injured one.:):):cool:

An afterthought....have you tried for a Handicapped accessible room? This might be helpful as they have showers that are easier to use. Just a thought.

We use this for my Mom( see below) A combination walker/transport chair with footrests that can be stored in the seat. We used it on a cruise and they can be found cheaper online. The Hugo Navigator is about 25 pounds, folds up into a large square and she can use it as a walker or you can flip the back over and use it as a transport chair when in towns. There are other brands out the there too. I know I paid under $200.00 for it. It takes a few minutes to practice setting it up but once you get it figured out it is a great device. I like that this comes with foot rests which you will need on excursions and when she is using it as a walker to get to the bathroom that will come in handy.

Hugo Navigator Combination Rolling Walker + Transport ...- Hugo Navigator Combination Rolling Walker + Transport Chair, Red |

I am hoping that you had travel insurance!!! My DW broke her leg at the ankle several years ago, right before a cruise!

We rescheduled and the insurance handled the rest. Traveling is hard enough, IMHO...don't complicate it by traveling with an injured person. It just takes a toll on everyone....including the injured one.:):):cool:

We do have travel insurance...always a must for us.

The ortho dr has said it shouldn't be a problem to travel. It will be 6 weeks after the surgery. The mobility is the only issue, she thinks. Obviously we will see how recovery goes...she is staying at my house for the recovery, so I will be making sure she is following all the drs orders :)

We have an extended trip to Denver after the cruise also, with an Amtrak trip too. That part I may have to send her home to my sisters house for. We are traveling every day in Denver for 5 days when we are there....that may be too much for her.

Praying for a good recovery so we can enjoy this--she loves to cruise as much as me and since Alaska is almost done for the year at that time, we wouldn't be able to do that until next summer if she cant go. At her age, you just never know what lies ahead.

Don’t get a knee scooter. I try using one earlier in the year and they are not very safe. If you every hit a bump you could go over the handlebars. Also she would have too use the leg with arthritis to push herself. I would look into getting one of those transport wheelchair. Their a little smaller and more lightweight. Costco sells them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would suggest an alternative opinion... there will be times when a scooter or wheelchair is just toobulky to maneuver. The knee scooter might be the perfect addition, for times like moving around in your cabin, going to the bathroom in the airport... make sure your mom is relatively steady on her feet or this won't work. But if she can manage it, these are great! They have a little basket to store stuff in while scooting around and when you have to stand for more than a minute, I would just lock the brakes, pivot around and voila! I had a seat!

You can get them pretty cheaply on Amazon, if you're paying for it yourselves... rentals through your insurance often have time limits on how long you can keep them.

OP....here's my suggestion

Have your mother read this thread so she can see what other people went thru.

Maybe she "can" travel, but does she want to travel? She may not want to disappoint you and dd...and that's why she's going.

If I were in her condition I'd stay home (especially because you have insurance)...and let the 2 of you go without her.

One thing to ponder, if your mom is 77, does she have medicare? If your dr will write a script for her due to limited mobility, medicare will pay for 80% of a scooter. It would make her recovery much easier if she has one of her own. She would be much more mobile, and would not depend on you to get around, in or out of the house. My scooter fits through the doorways of my home and I can drive it if I am having a bad day. The heaviest piece is 30 lbs which makes it super portable. I use it at the mall, wal-mart etc.

OP....here's my suggestion

Have your mother read this thread so she can see what other people went thru.

Maybe she "can" travel, but does she want to travel? She may not want to disappoint you and dd...and that's why she's going.

If I were in her condition I'd stay home (especially because you have insurance)...and let the 2 of you go without her.

Oh yes...she is the one who is dead set on going. I suggested even cutting off the Denver portion earlier today...she said no way. She is a very determined person.

Even though she is 77, she mows peoples lawns, shovels their snow, is a lunch lady for the local school and takes her dog to the dog park 3x a day etc.

She is antsy already and surgery isn't even until this coming Wednesday. if I cancel any part of this trip, she will be very depressed. So I am going to help with the recovery any way I can and try to make this happen.

One thing to ponder, if your mom is 77, does she have medicare? If your dr will write a script for her due to limited mobility, medicare will pay for 80% of a scooter. It would make her recovery much easier if she has one of her own. She would be much more mobile, and would not depend on you to get around, in or out of the house. My scooter fits through the doorways of my home and I can drive it if I am having a bad day. The heaviest piece is 30 lbs which makes it super portable. I use it at the mall, wal-mart etc.

She does have medicare...so far we have a wheelchair and one of those wheeled walkers with a seat (so she can sit and push herself backwards with her right leg). She cant do crutches at all..she tried. We were able to use a borrowing program in town to get this equipment free so far (its up to 90days and that should be plenty).

I am loving the idea of the motorized scooter on the ship. I showed it to her online and she was excited about that.

She does have medicare...so far we have a wheelchair and one of those wheeled walkers with a seat (so she can sit and push herself backwards with her right leg). She cant do crutches at all..she tried. We were able to use a borrowing program in town to get this equipment free so far (its up to 90days and that should be plenty).

I am loving the idea of the motorized scooter on the ship. I showed it to her online and she was excited about that.

Be very careful when pushing herself backward. Friend’s mom did that, fell back and got a concussion.

Be very careful when pushing herself backward. Friend’s mom did that, fell back and got a concussion.

I was wondering about that. I said she can only use that in the house (is all carpeted in my house) and she goes slow :):)

DD broke her ankle (both her lower tibia and fibula) last year and now has pins and plates. 6 weeks post op she still couldn’t put any weight on her foot. Those first 6 weeks she was in a hard splint. In a boot by week 8 and at 25% weight bearing. No way could we have taken her on a trip at that point in her recovery. YMMV.

—Ask her surgeon if she can fly 6 weeks post op. Blood clots are a huge possibility. So is swelling. Otherwise cancel now to minimize your losses. During the flight she’ll have to keep her leg elevated. Would need at least business class seats for that. DD broke her ankle overseas. They advised her to get surgery at home because of these post op issues.

DITTO!

I would seriously consider postponing the trip because she will need physical therapy once she is able to bear weight. My daughter, then 15, broke her ankle much less severely than the OP's mom and was non-weight bearing for a long time post op. As a nurse, I would be concerned about all of the possible things that could go wrong post op, especially with a senior citizen, even the healthiest. It takes longer to heal as we age. Prayers for your mom.

OP, we purchased my scooter for $700. If you are doing additional legs of the trip, it may be cheeper to buy one if the dr doesn't prescribe it.She could use it traveling and even take the dog to the dog park. I have a major knee issue plus invisible ones so it has been great for me. I crutch to the bed of the truck if I am alone. DH provides doorside pickup.

My 77 year old mom just broke her ankle in 3 places 2 days ago. She will need surgery next week Wednesday to get plates and screws to repair it.

We are going on an Alaskan cruise on 8/21 so now I have to figure out the mobility issues she will have. It will be me, mom and my 12 year old dd going.

Dr. says she cant even step on that foot until 8/20 or so. We are flying in and not sure what to do about a wheelchair/knee scooter etc?

Anyone have any good ideas about handling her mobility needs getting on the cruise and during the cruise? What about excursions, are they accessible? Does it say anywhere which ones are?

Thanks in advance for any advice...this has been a bucket list cruise that we have been planning since jan 2017...there is no way she isn't going :)

My husband has mobility issues (bad knees) and can't walk far or stand for long. Last two cruises we have rented him a mobility scooter from one of the companies that Carnival endorses. It cost around $275 but his is the larger one for heavier people. Even the bigger one WILL fit in a regular cabin, but since it has to be left in the cabin for charging, it is a tight fit. However we did two cruises with two adults and two teenagers and it worked okay. Well worth the money.

When you reach your 70's you begin to realize that this life is a finite thing regardless of how active you may be. Not to sound morbid ... but .. you realize that if you want to do "stuff" you'd best get on with it before permanent health issues make the "stuff" impossible.

I totally understand the OP's Mom wanting to go if at all possible.

When you reach your 70's you begin to realize that this life is a finite thing regardless of how active you may be. Not to sound morbid ... but .. you realize that if you want to do "stuff" you'd best get on with it before permanent health issues make the "stuff" impossible.

I totally understand the OP's Mom wanting to go if at all possible.

Exactly, its different at my age of 51--I have time (hopefully :) ) to change plans and hold off on things I want to do. In your late 70's just 1 incident can change that forever.

As long as the recovery goes well and the Ortho Dr is ok with it (and right now she is), I am going to do whatever it takes to make it a fun and comfortable vacation for her.

Since we have trip insurance, we can wait until the last few days if necessary to cancel (if the Dr says she cant travel). We wont make that decision now and then she is ok when we would have left. That would really upset her.

Look into getting a transport chair- you can rent them cheaply from any medical supply place. MUCH smaller, lighter and less bulky than a regular wheelchair or a scooter, I know- I was in one for 9 weeks.

You can actually buy a transport chair cheaper than renting one. Walmart, Sams Club, Walgreens run about $129. We paid more than that to rent one, including the insurance for a cruise on the Glory. Good thing we took the insurance because someone walked off with my Mother's rental when we were at dinner the first night. We wheeled her to the table, got her into a chair and took it back to the area near the door where they told me to park it. When dinner was over, I went to get the chair and it was gone.

Carnival let us use one of theirs without putting up the deposit. They said it was not the first time it had happened.

I checked with the company we rented with and they were able to recover it. Whoever took it to use during their cruise left it in their cabin. There really are some low life people on this cruise who would rather steal someone else's wheelchair than rent their own.

I bought her a red transport chair and on the next cruise I decorated the chair and used paint pens to write her name all over it.

From experience when my SIL had foot surgery before a cruise, I would strongly suggest getting a wheel chair. You mentioned that you are flying in to the port. How is she going to get through the airport? With a wheelchair, they will put her on the plane, then stow the chair until the end of the flight. Then they will help her off of the plane first before letting other passengers off of the plane.

At the cruise terminal, they will help her along with one other passenger on to the ship. You said her good leg is bothered with arthritis which means that the knee scooter is probably not a good idea.

From experience with SIL, other passengers do not look out for handicapped people. They do not get out of the way for motorized scooters. In a wheelchair, the person pushing it can more easily maneuver around the crowds. In the cabin, the wheelchair can be folded to minimize taking up space.

In ports, the crew goes out of their way to help going down the gangway. Getting back on the ship, there is always a huge influx of passengers trying to get on the elevators. They will push right past you to get on them first. After about six times, we had to say in no uncertain terms that the next person that pushed past her was going to have to deal with us. We were on the next elevator. Be prepared, people can be insensitive to handicapped people. That statement may sound cold but we dealt with it all week.

SO not my ankle or a cruise, but I flew 1 week post op on knee surgery when I wasn't allowed to put any pressure on that leg. I had crutches at home. When we got to the airport, my mom ( who I was traveling with) went in and told the airline people. They came out and put me in a wheelchair. Then they escorted me through the entire check in/security process. At TSA, I had to be patted down due to not being able to walk. Then at each connecting airport, they met us at the gate with a wheelchair and helped us through the entire airport. There was even one plane where they got this fancy elevator to put me in the plane because there wasn't a ramp.

MY suggestion would be to see if there is a way to either have the scooter/wheelchair there for you at the port or take a cab to the rental place.

My similar, but different experience:

Three years ago, I broke my ankle on Memorial Day Weekend. We were scheduled to land in Paris approximately 6 weeks later for our wedding anniversary. ( We had scheduled 3 days in Paris and 3 days in Amsterdam.)

At my first consultation with the surgeon after the surgery, we told him our plans. He made a face, but then said that if all went well, we could still do the trip. (Otherwise, we would get a letter from him and submit it to the travel insurance company.)

We did make the trip, though I thought my DW was going to get me seriously hurt at Versailles as she started to go up a very steep staircase. Luckily, a worker there got us and took us to the hidden elevators. We took it much easier in Amsterdam where we had been before. By the time of the trip I had been in physical therapy and was in a walking boot.

They will let you on the plane before the other passengers with the boot. It was interesting how I was treated by security. In Newark, two security people almost fought to allow me in without any checking while in Amsterdam, they made me take the boot off.

I was not as old as your Mom, but was in my late 60s at the time.

Good luck with the cruise. I hope it works out for all of you.

Make sure you call Carnival and see if any handicap rooms are available. I was told by Royal after I broke the arch of my foot that they are the first ones booked. But they put me on a "list". We stayed in our original room. Who knows its worth a call worst case you stay in your booked room. You can request a shower chair for any cabin but if she can not put any weight on either leg, transfers will be hard in the limited space.

Its great you have insurance so after you have a better idea of what your mom can and can not do you have the luxury of making the call if the trip is a good idea.

I would not recommend a knee scooter. They look like fun but are actually very hard on your back, hips, and knees. I was on one for 6 months. Sounds to me like a wheelchair or scooter will be required for her recovery.

We went on our cruise when I could not walk because we knew it would be a year before I would walk again. It was not easy but doable. Ours was Caribbean so very different but I only went ashore once. I had spa appointments and lots of books to keep myself busy.

Here is the thing about cruise ships when you walk you never notice. There are a million surface changes, tile, marble, wood, carpet, door jams, fire doors. Every single one is a jar and that hurt me over and over. People will push you and cut in front of you to go up one floor on the elevator. Drove me crazy but you have the just breath and be chill about it if you want to enjoy your trip.

Good luck I hope your mom surgery goes well and she heals quickly