Broken ankle --6 weeks before cruise--need help

Exactly, its different at my age of 51--I have time (hopefully :) ) to change plans and hold off on things I want to do. In your late 70's just 1 incident can change that forever.

As long as the recovery goes well and the Ortho Dr is ok with it (and right now she is), I am going to do whatever it takes to make it a fun and comfortable vacation for her.

Since we have trip insurance, we can wait until the last few days if necessary to cancel (if the Dr says she cant travel). We wont make that decision now and then she is ok when we would have left. That would really upset her.

Everyone has their own priorities. I'm just a few months short of 70; DH is on the verge of 84. We are both in excellent health. If one of us "broke an ankle" or had something else that would make traveling less than easy, we'd postpone until we were both up and running.

Although you have a "life is short" attitude (which I certainly do).....I want my days to be easy and comfortable. We've "just not shown up" (no insurance...total loss) in the past because we wanted to avoid "high probable" unpleasant situations.

Everyone has their own priorities. I'm just a few months short of 70; DH is on the verge of 84. We are both in excellent health. If one of us "broke an ankle" or had something else that would make traveling less than easy, we'd postpone until we were both up and running.

Although you have a "life is short" attitude (which I certainly do).....I want my days to be easy and comfortable. We've "just not shown up" (no insurance...total loss) in the past because we wanted to avoid "high probable" unpleasant situations.

Just got back from pre op apt with PCP. Asked her about the trip---all is ok with her too as long as recovery goes well. Being 6 weeks after surgery she said that is past the typical 4 weeks of blood clot issues that may happen on the flight.

I think I am going to book an extra seat for the flight there just in case we need a seat to elevate her foot.

I am renting a mobility scooter for the cruise, so that will take care of getting around and I am bringing a transport chair for all other areas (we are going to Denver after the cruise for a week).

Mom is adamant she is going on all of this trip, so its my job to make it happen and be pretty issue free. I am not a stressed out type of person, so we will go with the flow and do what is necessary each step. My DD 12 yrs old loves being grandmas helper--she is by her side 24/7, so she will have non stop assistance :)

Just got back from pre op apt with PCP. Asked her about the trip---all is ok with her too as long as recovery goes well. Being 6 weeks after surgery she said that is past the typical 4 weeks of blood clot issues that may happen on the flight.

I think I am going to book an extra seat for the flight there just in case we need a seat to elevate her foot.

I am renting a mobility scooter for the cruise, so that will take care of getting around and I am bringing a transport chair for all other areas (we are going to Denver after the cruise for a week).

Mom is adamant she is going on all of this trip, so its my job to make it happen and be pretty issue free. I am not a stressed out type of person, so we will go with the flow and do what is necessary each step. My DD 12 yrs old loves being grandmas helper--she is by her side 24/7, so she will have non stop assistance :)

I feel for you! My mom went into the hospital 3 weeks before our cruise together and came out 1 week before the cruise, after 2 surgeries and countless lung treatments. We wheeled her onto the cruise ship and she walked off a week later. A cruise ship is a good place as any for a recovery. Possibly better in some cases because it forces movement.

I hope your Mom recovers well and that y'all enjoy your cruise.

I would consider the possibility that she may not be able to put weight on her foot at the time of the cruise. It may be longer than 6 wks time depending on healing. I would see how she is able to move around following this surgery, consider her pain and swelling and make your decision from there. If she is requiring a lot of assistance moving around then the cruise may be difficult. Go into it thinking about how she will move around not being able to put weight on that foot and how will she get into the bathroom in the cabin and around the ship. If she can place some weight on that foot at the time of the cruise then that will be an added bonus. Even if she can, moving around is still going to be very difficult with stiffness, pain, swelling, and atrophy.

I agree that a transfer chair is going to be the easiest device to bring with you as it folds up and is lightweight. She may still need crutches or a rolling walker (Standard one with 2 wheels in the front) even if she is able to weightbear (whatever device she is most comfortable with using) to provide her with a little support. A rollator is nice because it has a built in seat but can be difficult to use if she is requiring support with walking because you can't get your body up close enough for the proper support with the seat in the way. A knee scooter can be very difficult to use as they can be unsteady and require quite a bit of coordination and if your mom has any knee arthritis it will be uncomfortable and not helpful. Also, she will need a shower chair in the cabin and I would make sure she can get up and down a step without bearing weight on that leg just in case she is unable to at the time of the cruise. We are going on our first Carnival cruise in the next few weeks but on Royal Caribbean they have a step to get into the bathroom and it's a narrow doorway so that's something to consider.

My sister just broke her ankle at the end of April. She is 28 and had plates and screws put in as well. She was able to weight bear after 6-8 wks per her ortho and was lucky to be able to after 6 wks. However, it has still been very difficult and she still needed her crutches for support the first week or 2 after being told she could weight bear.

I'm sorry for the long post I just know how difficult it is with the unknown and thinking about all the medical issues and mobility issues that can arise. Even with the best planning and knowledge challenges arise. I work with the orthopedic population and when my sister broke her ankle it was challenging even for me to come up with new ways and strategies that would work with the environment and for her as each person is different.

I would consider the possibility that she may not be able to put weight on her foot at the time of the cruise. It may be longer than 6 wks time depending on healing. I would see how she is able to move around following this surgery, consider her pain and swelling and make your decision from there. If she is requiring a lot of assistance moving around then the cruise may be difficult. Go into it thinking about how she will move around not being able to put weight on that foot and how will she get into the bathroom in the cabin and around the ship. If she can place some weight on that foot at the time of the cruise then that will be an added bonus. Even if she can, moving around is still going to be very difficult with stiffness, pain, swelling, and atrophy.

I agree that a transfer chair is going to be the easiest device to bring with you as it folds up and is lightweight. She may still need crutches or a rolling walker (Standard one with 2 wheels in the front) even if she is able to weightbear (whatever device she is most comfortable with using) to provide her with a little support. A rollator is nice because it has a built in seat but can be difficult to use if she is requiring support with walking because you can't get your body up close enough for the proper support with the seat in the way. A knee scooter can be very difficult to use as they can be unsteady and require quite a bit of coordination and if your mom has any knee arthritis it will be uncomfortable and not helpful. Also, she will need a shower chair in the cabin and I would make sure she can get up and down a step without bearing weight on that leg just in case she is unable to at the time of the cruise. We are going on our first Carnival cruise in the next few weeks but on Royal Caribbean they have a step to get into the bathroom and it's a narrow doorway so that's something to consider.

My sister just broke her ankle at the end of April. She is 28 and had plates and screws put in as well. She was able to weight bear after 6-8 wks per her ortho and was lucky to be able to after 6 wks. However, it has still been very difficult and she still needed her crutches for support the first week or 2 after being told she could weight bear.

I'm sorry for the long post I just know how difficult it is with the unknown and thinking about all the medical issues and mobility issues that can arise. Even with the best planning and knowledge challenges arise. I work with the orthopedic population and when my sister broke her ankle it was challenging even for me to come up with new ways and strategies that would work with the environment and for her as each person is different.

Thank you for all the great advice. My aunt is coming today to help (surgery is tomorrow). My Aunt has been an ortho rehab nurse for 30 years, so she is going to help us figure out the equipment we need and best rehab strategies.

Mom is getting around great using the rollater (sitting and rolling it backwards with her good leg). She only uses it in the house. Outside the house we use the wheelchair.

I have called Carnival and they are arranging for the shower seat and a commode chair for the bathroom. I am renting a mobility scooter (she is small so we can get the smaller one) and will have a transporter chair also. There are no accessible rooms left, but we do have a premium balcony on the Legend, which from the pictures has some nice space to move around.

So now we wait for the surgery and to start recovery. She is very good at keeping it elevated all day and night, so that is a good thing.

Okay - so since you're going, let me give you a couple of pieces of advice on travelling with someone in a wheelchair/scooter (my mom is a full time wheelchair user).

I know people have said, "call to see if there's an accessible cabin available". That won't work; the Legend is a Spirit class ship, it has 1 accessible cabin for 3 and that's a suite. Since it's a fully accessible (not a modified accessible) cabin, it is also most assuredly booked by someone else who needs it.

The Spa has a wheelchair accessible shower (no lip, no barriers, and has a fold down seat); have her go there to shower it will be so much easier for her.

Take the transport chair to dinner in the MDR instead of the scooter; she can remain in the transport chair during dinner instead of trying to transfer from the scooter to a regular chair.

If you have a set dining seating (i.e. either early or late), there is a big ramp up to the 2nd floor MDR. Wait at the bottom until it's clear and then roll her up in one continuous effort. It's really difficult to hold the chair halfway up that ramp.

There is a great accessible bathroom on deck 2 between the Atrium and the Alchemy Bar (it's a companion bathroom in case your mom needs your help transferring from the chair to the toilet). at carnival.com, they have maps that show where the accessible routes are and which washrooms have accessible stalls. You may want to print one out.

They will have a special needs muster drill; talk to guest services to confirm where it is. On the Pride, it's on deck 3 in the bar area just outside the MDR.

You'll find few accessible excursions and even those marked accessible will often require the ability to take a few steps (often up the 2-3 steps in a motor coach). I would start looking at private tours now.

Okay - so since you're going, let me give you a couple of pieces of advice on travelling with someone in a wheelchair/scooter (my mom is a full time wheelchair user).

I know people have said, "call to see if there's an accessible cabin available". That won't work; the Legend is a Spirit class ship, it has 1 accessible cabin for 3 and that's a suite. Since it's a fully accessible (not a modified accessible) cabin, it is also most assuredly booked by someone else who needs it.

The Spa has a wheelchair accessible shower (no lip, no barriers, and has a fold down seat); have her go there to shower it will be so much easier for her.

Take the transport chair to dinner in the MDR instead of the scooter; she can remain in the transport chair during dinner instead of trying to transfer from the scooter to a regular chair.

If you have a set dining seating (i.e. either early or late), there is a big ramp up to the 2nd floor MDR. Wait at the bottom until it's clear and then roll her up in one continuous effort. It's really difficult to hold the chair halfway up that ramp.

There is a great accessible bathroom on deck 2 between the Atrium and the Alchemy Bar (it's a companion bathroom in case your mom needs your help transferring from the chair to the toilet). at carnival.com, they have maps that show where the accessible routes are and which washrooms have accessible stalls. You may want to print one out.

They will have a special needs muster drill; talk to guest services to confirm where it is. On the Pride, it's on deck 3 in the bar area just outside the MDR.

You'll find few accessible excursions and even those marked accessible will often require the ability to take a few steps (often up the 2-3 steps in a motor coach). I would start looking at private tours now.

Thank you for all the great tips! Especially the spa shower--I never thought of that. I bet that will be a lot easier for her. We will definitely check that out.

For tours, she doesn't like to leave the ship usually, but I would like to get her on at least 1 tour--probably a simple bus tour. I will start looking for an easy one for us that would be accessible.

Not that you asked, but you may wish to consider a private tour so as to provide an experience customized to your exact needs. I have used http://www.toursbylocals.com with excellent results. Not cheap but can be a great value when the total cost is divided by the number in your party. There are other tour sources that Google will likely find for you. Best Wishes for a fantastic cruise!

My 77 year old mom just broke her ankle in 3 places 2 days ago. She will need surgery next week Wednesday to get plates and screws to repair it.

We are going on an Alaskan cruise on 8/21 so now I have to figure out the mobility issues she will have. It will be me, mom and my 12 year old dd going.

Dr. says she cant even step on that foot until 8/20 or so. We are flying in and not sure what to do about a wheelchair/knee scooter etc?

Anyone have any good ideas about handling her mobility needs getting on the cruise and during the cruise? What about excursions, are they accessible? Does it say anywhere which ones are?

Thanks in advance for any advice...this has been a bucket list cruise that we have been planning since jan 2017...there is no way she isn't going :)

I would not take her, my husband had surgery on October 10th, 2017 and was not back to normal for a good 5 months and that was after threapy, we had a December trip to Florida already paid for but we canceled and I am glad we did, he was so worn out everyday just doing the trips to the bathroom and moving around the house, he is 22 years younger than your mom and is very active in his daily life, she will be tired just getting around in a chair or a wheel cart, I would change my plans if I were in your shoes. Good luck and I hope for her to have a speedy recovery.

I would not take her, my husband had surgery on October 10th, 2017 and was not back to normal for a good 5 months and that was after threapy, we had a December trip to Florida already paid for but we canceled and I am glad we did, he was so worn out everyday just doing the trips to the bathroom and moving around the house, he is 22 years younger than your mom and is very active in his daily life, she will be tired just getting around in a chair or a wheel cart, I would change my plans if I were in your shoes. Good luck and I hope for her to have a speedy recovery.

She is actually getting more active and stronger each day since last Wednesday when she broke it. The surgery is tomorrow, so we will see how she recovers. She is dead set on going and I am not the one who is going to tell her she cant go....her arms are getting pretty strong from lifting herself onto her wheeled scooter and I don't want her to hit me LOL !!!

We will see how the next 6 weeks go with her recovery. My 12 year old DD has a workout plan for her each day too :) There is very little that will stop my mom...she is old school and stubborn.

She is actually getting more active and stronger each day since last Wednesday when she broke it. The surgery is tomorrow, so we will see how she recovers. She is dead set on going and I am not the one who is going to tell her she cant go....her arms are getting pretty strong from lifting herself onto her wheeled scooter and I don't want her to hit me LOL !!!

We will see how the next 6 weeks go with her recovery. My 12 year old DD has a workout plan for her each day too :) There is very little that will stop my mom...she is old school and stubborn.

Please talk to her surgeon about flying. Legs swell a lot for those of us regularly, being in a cast or splint will not be fun. Have you looked into business class seating for her? There’s no way to elevate her leg in coach.

If she’s allowed, arrange a pedicure for her. Her toes and lower leg will be ugly. It was amazing how much dead skin floating off DD’s leg when she was finally out of the casts and splints.

For the boot—- DD used men’s athletic socks under the boot. Because her injury was in the summer she cut off the toes.

Please talk to her surgeon about flying. Legs swell a lot for those of us regularly, being in a cast or splint will not be fun. Have you looked into business class seating for her? There’s no way to elevate her leg in coach.

If she’s allowed, arrange a pedicure for her. Her toes and lower leg will be ugly. It was amazing how much dead skin floating off DD’s leg when she was finally out of the casts and splints.

For the boot—- DD used men’s athletic socks under the boot. Because her injury was in the summer she cut off the toes.

I did ask the ortho surgeon last Friday when we met with her about the surgery. She said it would be fine as it is 6 weeks after surgery. I will ask again tomorrow (after the surgery) and at her follow up on 7/23.

We are flying Southwest and was thinking about buying an extra seat and then my 12 year old would sit in that row also--so mom can prop her leg up on the middle seat and not bother anyone else. I will ask the surgeon about that also. She will be able to preboard, so maybe she can get that front row that gives extra leg room ?

I will have to find out how long the cast is on before she can get the boot.

Lots of questions...thank you all for sharing your experiences....I am making notes to ask the surgeon and to plan for different things as we travel.

don't be too quick to judge her recovery timetable based on pain right after surgery.

When I had plate and 10 pin surgery after shattering my elbow there was a lot of pain for the first few days and then the "bad stuff" pretty much went away (able to control with Advil).

I had the cast on for 2 weeks and started physical therapy right after. I wore a sling for an additional 2 weeks to ease into the transition. I didn't have my strength back at first but the recovery was faster than I thought.

I guess my point is don't judge how your mom will be feeling in her long term recovery until 2 or 3 weeks after the surgery.... and go with your Dr's advice.

Thanks for the info...I looked up our cruise and a regular wheelchair is 85 for the week..a motorized scooter 185...that's not bad at all. She may get a kick out of the motorized scooter.

Unless she is completely bedridden, she is going on this cruise...she is 77 now and you never know what could happen in the future.

We do have trip insurance luckily, so we are not worried about losing any money on the cost of the trip.

My dad broke his ankle and had to have surgery a couple years ago when he was 73. sounds like a similar break to your mom's. After surgery he was in the hospital for a few days and then they sent him to a rehabilation/ nursing facility for i believe it was around a month. He was in a lot of pain for most of the time. When he came home I know he was still in some pain and probably would not want to go on a cruise. Hopefully, your mom will heal faster than my dad did.

She should not go. there will be other times.

Pointless response if you read the last 7 words of the post! :rolleyes:

OP.. I wish you luck with this. By the time the cruise comes around in late August, your Mom and you will have figured out her mobility needs and what she is capable of on her own. I would plan on at least a wheelchair, and maybe a electric scooter. Personally if it was me, I would prefer to push around a wheelchair, but if I think of your Mom.. she may want to have some freedom and go where she would like to go on her own.

Good luck.

My dad broke his ankle and had to have surgery a couple years ago when he was 73. sounds like a similar break to your mom's. After surgery he was in the hospital for a few days and then they sent him to a rehabilation/ nursing facility for i believe it was around a month. He was in a lot of pain for most of the time. When he came home I know he was still in some pain and probably would not want to go on a cruise. Hopefully, your mom will heal faster than my dad did.

Surgery was yesterday and went very well. I talked with the surgeon at length about the trip and the concerns people brought up here.

She has no doubt that mom is ok to travel in 6 weeks. She said she may have her wear a compression sock for the flight, but we will see as we get closer. I brought up many questions and she had no doubts about the trip at this time..so I feel comfortable with that so far.

Mom will be rehabbing at my house, so I will be able to see day to day how she is recovering. I am going to be doing exercises with her everyday to keep her on track of getting stronger.

But so far so good...surgery is done so now its the road to recovery..and Alaska :)

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to provide an update on mom.....she has been doing 100 percent perfect with her recovery from her broken ankle surgery (plates and screws put in). She is even stepping on her left foot with her boot on...slightly. She was not supposed to be weight bearing until next week...oh well..no stopping her :):)

We have 2 appts this week before we leave next week for the Alaskan cruise and Denver trip after the cruise. A surgery follow up and a physical therapy appt.

She is never tired or sore and the swelling has been gone for a few weeks now.

That 77 year old woman is definitely a tough cookie and ready to roll!

Just wanted to provide an update on mom.....she has been doing 100 percent perfect with her recovery from her broken ankle surgery (plates and screws put in). She is even stepping on her left foot with her boot on...slightly. She was not supposed to be weight bearing until next week...oh well..no stopping her :):)

We have 2 appts this week before we leave next week for the Alaskan cruise and Denver trip after the cruise. A surgery follow up and a physical therapy appt.

She is never tired or sore and the swelling has been gone for a few weeks now.

That 77 year old woman is definitely a tough cookie and ready to roll!

Glad to hear everything is going well.

As I mentioned in a previous post I had broken my left ankle about 10 weeks before we were supposed to land in Paris for our wedding anniversary. We were able to make the trip with the doctor's blessing.

My only piece of advice based on my experience is not to overdo it.

And as bad as breaking your left ankle is, it could be worse. If you break your right ankle instead, you cannot drive.

Glad to hear everything is going well.

As I mentioned in a previous post I had broken my left ankle about 10 weeks before we were supposed to land in Paris for our wedding anniversary. We were able to make the trip with the doctor's blessing.

My only piece of advice based on my experience is not to overdo it.

And as bad as breaking your left ankle is, it could be worse. If you break your right ankle instead, you cannot drive.

I haven't let her drive since this happened. Since she is only getting around in a wheelchair for now, she cant load and unload that. Plus she is staying with me to recover, so I am her Uber :):)

We just talked about excursions yesterday, and we both agreed she wont be doing any formal ones, I will wheel her into port for shopping in a few of them. She likes to get her tshirts from the ports

I am guessing that you probably couldn't get a handicapped cabin so close to your cruise date. My brother (65) broke his ankle only 3 weeks before our New Year's Eve cruise. We ended up renting him a power wheelchair that we took onboard so there was no issue getting him on and off the ship. We made sure when we rented it that it would be narrow enough to BARELY make it through the cabin door. It was a tough fit, but we managed. Showers were out of the question, but he was able to hop in and use the toilet okay. We were glad he was still able to go. Also, because of the scooter, there were only 2 public restrooms on the entire ship that he could maneuver into, but we made it work. Have a wonderful trip!

I am guessing that you probably couldn't get a handicapped cabin so close to your cruise date. My brother (65) broke his ankle only 3 weeks before our New Year's Eve cruise. We ended up renting him a power wheelchair that we took onboard so there was no issue getting him on and off the ship. We made sure when we rented it that it would be narrow enough to BARELY make it through the cabin door. It was a tough fit, but we managed. Showers were out of the question, but he was able to hop in and use the toilet okay. We were glad he was still able to go. Also, because of the scooter, there were only 2 public restrooms on the entire ship that he could maneuver into, but we made it work. Have a wonderful trip!

No, I called right away and I guess the Legend only has a few handicapped cabins to begin with.

We do, however, have a premium balcony room. From the pics I have seen, they are quite spacious (according to my PVP, the size of a suite but with a regular bathroom). There are only 6 of these on the boat.

Since she is getting around so well in her travel wheelchair, she doesn't want the scooter. So the wheelchair folds flat. Also bringing her walker to get around the cabin.

I am getting so excited for this now. We all (mom, me and dd12) cant wait