Bed Bugs on Dawn?!?

phoenix1181

WOW....I hate to be the bear of bad news but a couple of years ago I did EXTENSIVE research on bed bugs...my daughter was convinced she had brought them home from vacation and thought she was being bit in bed. I had an expert come to the home and confirm we DID NOT have them. Back to research....they are one of the most DIFFICULT pests to get rid of...If they are in 1 cabin....they are in a lot more than that. They are worse than cockroaches to get rid of..You can't just treat one cabin..they have already gone to other cabins...Good luck...I will remember the cruise ship name "DAWN"....AND I WILL BE STAYING AWAY ...

If there are bedbugs on the Dawn, or any other cruise ship, the cruise line will do everything possible to eliminate the problem.

I'm concerned for current cruisers since it appears the problem wasn't reported while onboard. A doctor was seen after the cruisers were home, not while on the cruise although I would have expected them to see the doctor when they all had that rash after swimming.

Edited by phoenix1181
hit enter too soon!!

People are under the impression that bed bugs are only on/in/under beds. Yes, they tend to hide close to the bed...but they hide ANYWHERE in the room...behind light sockets....in the drawers, behind pictures...they are EVERYWHERE....I don't believe for a minute, if someone transfers bedbugs from their home onto a cruise ship or hotel room themselves....that they they DIDN'T KNOW they had them....inconsiderate...you CANNOT have bedbugs in your home and NOT KNOW IT!

Edited by abby1257

I will remember the cruise ship name "DAWN"....AND I WILL BE STAYING AWAY ...

That's just silly. NCL isn't going to be sailing for months with bed bugs on board. If there really are bed bugs, they will address the issue immediately in order to prevent future passengers from being affected. I am sure that by the time you had booked a cruise and boarded, the problem would have been long resolved.

It does take several treatments to get rid of them, though I dont know much about the heating process. I know that isn’t as practical in homes since it would ruin things in the home. Maybe a small room on a cruiseship or hotel is more doable.

My friend had a guest who brought them into her home and they had dogs come in to identify where the problem was. They then had to treat, continuously wash everything and dry on high heat, encase their mattress for 9 months or so, essentially living out of suitcase for weeks. It was a nightmare.

I avoid putting suitcase under the bed if possible and thoroughly check mattress, drawers, headboards.

It sounds like bedbugs since they noticed red and brown stains on the sheets every day, telltale sign. I’m alarmed that the room steward did not do anything, they are trained to inspect for these things.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

WOW....I hate to be the bear of bad news but a couple of years ago I did EXTENSIVE research on bed bugs...my daughter was convinced she had brought them home from vacation and thought she was being bit in bed. I had an expert come to the home and confirm we DID NOT have them. Back to research....they are one of the most DIFFICULT pests to get rid of...If they are in 1 cabin....they are in a lot more than that. They are worse than cockroaches to get rid of..You can't just treat one cabin..they have already gone to other cabins...Good luck...I will remember the cruise ship name "DAWN"....AND I WILL BE STAYING AWAY ...

you are free to make your own decisions on what ship to cruise but for many of us, we have no idea where we may have stayed that had a bed bug problem at one time or another. You do know or maybe you don't you have probably stayed at more than one hotel with bed bugs.

I’m currently on the Dawn, deck 5 (front of ship/ ocean view) and absolutely no sign of bed bugs nor have I even heard anyone mention them at all on our trip. We were in Bermuda for three days and didn’t experience any sea lice either (we went to Horse Shoe Bay every day). In our experience this ship has been absolutely spotless and our room emmaculate. This is our first time with Norwegian (we’ve cruised Carnival & Royal for years) and we’d definetly come back. I recently found this Board when I was looking for information about Hurricane Chris and what ships do you hen their is a hurricane. Hopefully the reports are not true because it would be a shame.

Edited by scendro

Am I understanding this correctly that they did not complain until they got home? I would have been down to customer service from the very first sighting. Most likely sea lice.

According to what was reported, the cruisers did not seek medical attention until they were home at which time their doctor said the bites were from bedbugs.

There was no indication they reported the problem to the cabin steward.

People are under the impression that bed bugs are only on/in/under beds. Yes, they tend to hide close to the bed...but they hide ANYWHERE in the room...behind light sockets....in the drawers, behind pictures...they are EVERYWHERE....I don't believe for a minute, if someone transfers bedbugs from their home onto a cruise ship or hotel room themselves....that they they DIDN'T KNOW they had them....inconsiderate...you CANNOT have bedbugs in your home and NOT KNOW IT!

My husband's family were landlords, you have no idea how some people live and how quickly it deteriorates when someone gets ill. We took over a building and had one tenant complain about bed bugs, we asked every neighbour to prepare their suite for fumigation, one said no, he didn't have a problem - it was an ongoing fight to deal with the bed bugs and because the previous owner had used chemicals, heat treatment would cost $20,000 and it probably wouldn't have worked

Cruise ships are not built like land based buildings - each room is self contained, fit in like lego. I would not be surprised if they heat treat suspicious cabins on disembarkation/embarkation day.

If indeed the problem was sea lice while swimming, wouldn't they be caught up inside of their swimsuits? They are baby jellyfish, and could continue to sting for a while.

The ladies should wash their swimwear very carefully, and see what comes out of them.

If indeed the problem was sea lice while swimming, wouldn't they be caught up inside of their swimsuits? They are baby jellyfish, and could continue to sting for a while.

The ladies should wash their swimwear very carefully, and see what comes out of them.

You could be right but that means if it was sea lice, they would more than likely have had a rash on other parts of their body, not just their chest. Wouldn't they?

We'll probably never know for sure what the problem was but it appears most of us agree that if it was bedbugs, NCL will resolve it as quickly as possible.

The first thing we do before bringing any of our belongings into the cabin is check the seams of the mattresses for evidence of bed bugs.
I had never considered doing this is my stateroom - only in hotels. However, I will be checking now!

Is it for sure it was bed bugs and not sand flea bites??

My thought precisely and initially. But sand flea bites don’t leave red spots on sheets. That’s a hallmark indication of bedbugs. And I can tell you they are NO FUN AT ALL.

I always check the corners of the bed by the pillow where they might hide and always pull down the sheets to check for spots on the sheets. Always, wherever I go.

The only thing more gross, was pulling down the sheets in a motel and finding pubic hairs. Didn’t pay for that night and cancelled next two nights. :eek:

Spoke to a native Pensacola resident today about "Sea Lice" versus Bed Bugs. He said they would sting and burn as you'd imagine little Jelly fish to do and leave tons of welts. They would not cause spots on sheets as described in the article, in his opinion.

I've never encountered bed bugs before. I've never seen lice either. I don't blame the young family for not notifying. I probably wouldn't have had a clue either.

sorry as much as I feel for the couple if I had sores and here was blood on my sheets I would be at the reception desk or notifying the hotel manager asap. There are so many things that could have been responsible for the bites, none of us will even know for sure, but whatever it was, let's hope we hear no more about it. I am sure NCL or any other line will do al they can to make sure the problem in cleared up.

My thought precisely and initially. But sand flea bites don’t leave red spots on sheets. That’s a hallmark indication of bedbugs. And I can tell you they are NO FUN AT ALL.

The only thing more gross, was pulling down the sheets in a motel and finding pubic hairs. Didn’t pay for that night and cancelled next two nights. :eek:

Hey, at least it wasn't a used condom like my husband found in an Athens hotel.

you are free to make your own decisions on what ship to cruise but for many of us, we have no idea where we may have stayed that had a bed bug problem at one time or another. You do know or maybe you don't you have probably stayed at more than one hotel with bed bugs.

Actually I haven't....I inspect the hotel room before i stay in it....

This thread is definitely enlightening. Thanks for the image of pubic hairs a couple of posts back. ;-)

I'm about to go on my fifth cruise in October - it will be our 4th on the Dawn. I love that ship. I'm weird. I like already knowing the layout.

I have never checked my bedding before on a cruise - but from now on I will. I was also going to suggest the large trashbag over your suitcase especially if you're going to be putting it under the bed. Another thing is don't put it on the bed or anything upholstered. Put it on a desktop when unpacking. When you return home, leave it in the garage for (I can't remember how long) a week or so before bringing it into your house. Personally, I'd unpack it in the garage and take clothing straight to the washer.

This issue is also a great reminder to say something immediately if ANYTHING is amiss. I feel bad for the family - the welts look so painful. I wonder if they were afraid, after the welts on their chests showed up after swimming in the ocean, if they thought going to the ship doctor was too cost prohibitive. It is expensive to see the ship doctor - but that is what he or she is there for! If it were bedbugs it would have been quickly dealt with and, if sea lice they would have gotten a remedy that may have curbed such a horrible reaction (possibly for waiting too long to see a doctor).

I'm on Deck 12 in October. I think I'll be fine, but I'll be double checking anyway.

Maybe it WAS sea lice. Usually bed bug bites appear on exposed areas while sleeping - wrists, ankles. Not the chest as someone reported where the bites/rash appeared. And with a slew of new passengers off the Dawn yesterday, there haven't been new reports here.