Bed Bugs on Dawn?!?

phoenix1181

I hope they get this cleared up before our October cruise. We're not on deck 8 but if they can survive the laundry, no one is safe!

No, they will continue to sail for the next 3 months with full bed bugs all over. :rolleyes:

This is a very unfortunate report. I was watching the Boston news on WCVB and heard the story, too. I have been planning my Bermuda cruise in September and have read in the Bermuda forums here that there have been recent outbreaks on Bermuda of “sea lice”, which are actually baby jellyfish in the water. If you watch the clip, the girls show their rash and bites with welts that did not happen their first 2 days on the ship (the time they cruised from Boston), but appeared after they went in the OCEAN at the beach! I have been on the Dawn and other NCL ships and they are spotless, I would be shocked if there was a single bed bug onboard. I think the girls were bit in the water at the beach and the physician treating them thought the rash and bites looked very similar (which they really do, Google it) to bed bug bites.

No, they will continue to sail for the next 3 months with full bed bugs all over. :rolleyes:

Was this really necessary?

We all know NCL will do whatever they can to eliminate the problem. HOWEVER, it is my understanding that bedbugs can be quite difficult to eliminate which is why I believe there is room for concern.

I hope the problem is sea lice..............

Since they said they noticed red and blackish stains on the sheets every day, sounds like bed bugs to me. Should have notified the room steward pronto. Then again the room steward should be trained to look for that anyway. The bites also may not be reactive for a few days, sometimes a week later. Just hope they didn't bring them home, THAT is costly and hard to get rid of.

Trying not to be alarmist, but this is concerning. With such a fast turn around, they don't have time to close up all the room to do the heat treatment. Regarding what someone said about the cabins being "closed units," the bugs can be spread from place to place on shoes, clothes, towels carried back and forth. Anyone know what NCL's protocol is for this type of situation? It MUST have happened before.

It happens everywhere so they must have something. This was brought up on the Carnival page and people seemed to be aware of the strict protocol used. I would hope NCL is as vigilant about it. I’m alarmed that the room steward didn’t do anything even though there was clear evidence on the sheets (assuming they are telling the truth).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It happens everywhere so they must have something. This was brought up on the Carnival page and people seemed to be aware of the strict protocol used. I would hope NCL is as vigilant about it. I’m alarmed that the room steward didn’t do anything even though there was clear evidence on the sheets (assuming they are telling the truth).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My guess is the mattress in question was probably quarantined/stored until it could be inspected/cleaned and replaced with a new one.

WCVB in Boston just showed a news item about a family just off the Dawn who encountered a bed bug problem. Photos clearly showed multiple bites on the passengers. I didn't catch the cabin number other than it was a cabin on deck 8. NCL was contacted but only stated they would look into the allegations.

I hope they get this cleared up before our October cruise. We're not on deck 8 but if they can survive the laundry, no one is safe!

EVERY hotel in the US has had bedbugs at some point..its just a normal occurrence that you hope NCL stays on top of...here are your 5 steps to see if your room mattress has any:

1. peel back any "fitted" sheets and mattress protectors...

2. Turn on every light in the room.

3. separate the edge of the mattress that rolls the corner or edges...

4. turn on phone flashlight (like on an iphone) to shine brightly in the crease of the mattress

5. look for any trail of dark or rust color in the crease...

6. contact room steward...house keeping..if you find things listed in #5.

Here is an official statement from NCL

Please be assure we are taking this issue very seriously.

Please find our statement regarding the bed bugs from Norwegian Dawn.

The health and safety of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. We operate to the very highest public health and sanitation standards. If any concerns are reported in a stateroom, the housekeeping and pest control teams are immediately dispatched to conduct a thorough inspection and, if required, treatment of the room. The ship’s officers’ then conduct an exhaustive inspection of the stateroom and continue to closely monitor the situation.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Rosa M. Martinez | Reservations Help Desk Supervisor

P: +1 800-327-7030 Ext 22448

rmartinez@ncl.com | www.ncl.com

Norwegian Cruise Line

7427 E Hampton Avenue, Suite 121 | Mesa, AZ 85209

Bed bugs are no joke. Long story short, was traveling for work early this year and got them. I spent 375 total nights in hotels the last 3 years. I never thought about it once. I could understand why they never thought anything of it. I didn't notice it until about a week after getting home and I had all these bites on my back. I thought they were bug bites. Anyway hotel confirmed they had them in room after I called. I had two bed bug dog sniffers (this is a real thing) come to my house. Luckily they didn't find any and didn't bring any home. The cost to fumgate your house is very expensive. Basically they to heat it to something like 90+ degrees to kill them. Don't quote me on the temperature.

As another person mentioned they tend to hide underneth mattress and along the bed skirts and walls. They come out at night to feed (on people).

The best advice I could give is to check those areas, with a flash light. Also, my next cruise I might not put my suitcase under the bed. I feel like you roll the dice with this because that's where they hide. The worst thing you want to do is take them home with you. If you have no choice, bring a giant black trash bag and put your suitcase inside of it. Then when you put them outside to get picked up after cruise is over, throw the bag out.

Not trying to scare people. But hoestly it's good to be educated. It really sucked to get them, I couldn't sleep good for a few weeks later because I was paranoid. I have gone to a hotel since, and am just more careful. You never know too. The hotel was almost brand new. It's whoever is on the outside that brings them in.

WCVB in Boston just showed a news item about a family just off the Dawn who encountered a bed bug problem. Photos clearly showed multiple bites on the passengers. I didn't catch the cabin number other than it was a cabin on deck 8. NCL was contacted but only stated they would look into the allegations.

We were on deck 8 in May, never had or heard of a bed bug problem but it could be Bed bugs can be found many places including upscale hotels. They are brought in, as I have heard in people's luggage. Once in they are not super easy to get rid of. On the other hand pictures do not tell the entire story/ A lot of things can cause bites, like sand fleas for instance. Only a doctor can tell for sure and even then, as I understand the bites have to be pretty new to be 100% identifiable. I only hope NCL does check the reports. I am sure they will. I so remember years ago when a similar claim was made by a passenger on another line and it was proven to be untrue. I don't mean to say the complainer wasn't telling the truth I meant that the bites that appeared to be bugs were something else.

Regardless as to whether sand fleas, sea lice or bed bugs for those not traveling for a few weeks even, I don't think I would get to alarmed. No cruise line takes matters like this lightly.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Saw that report too. Freaks me out. I can't remember the cabin either but it was Deck 8. They did notice blood spots on the sheets every day and have welts all over their legs that a dr. confirmed as bed bug bites. Yuck. Could have been brought on by the people that vacated that cabin.

very true. I did not see the report. Did they report this to the hotel manager right away? Lord only know how fast those little bugs can multiply and move to other places

WOW....I hate to be the bear of bad news but a couple of years ago I did EXTENSIVE research on bed bugs...my daughter was convinced she had brought them home from vacation and thought she was being bit in bed. I had an expert come to the home and confirm we DID NOT have them. Back to research....they are one of the most DIFFICULT pests to get rid of...If they are in 1 cabin....they are in a lot more than that. They are worse than cockroaches to get rid of..You can't just treat one cabin..they have already gone to other cabins...Good luck...I will remember the cruise ship name "DAWN"....AND I WILL BE STAYING AWAY ...