NCL upgrade program question

Halftocruz

Hi

I’m new to NCL and will be on the Jade next summer.

I booked a balcony cabin but we have 4 adults so maybe looking for more room.

How does the upgrade program work? I know I can bid for up to 2 levels up but what I don’t understand is how and when do you do it? Also how do you know what price will be accepted? What’s fair?

Thanks for any help.

Kellie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will be invited to bid closer to sailing. What is fair? Who knows, it is basically in NCL's favor for any bid. I think if you want more space to buy now what you want, don't rely on the bidding process because its a crap shoot if you will get what you want.

You will be invited to bid closer to sailing. What is fair? Who knows, it is basically in NCL's favor for any bid. I think if you want more space to buy now what you want, don't rely on the bidding process because its a crap shoot if you will get what you want.

this is so true. I would never bid unless I feel I can live with what I have. It is like a gty cabin. If you really feel you need something in a certain category or location book what you need. As for the bidding process so far we have tried twice: neither time did we get it and once we were very generous with out bid. We will bid again but don't expect to win. :*

Hi

How does the upgrade program work? I know I can bid for up to 2 levels up but what I don’t understand is how and when do you do it? Also how do you know what price will be accepted? What’s fair?

Thanks for any help.

Kellie

Bidding is a crap shoot, no guarantee of winning. Look at larger cabins such as suite or Haven 2 bedroom, weigh the cost it may be cheaper to just book two separate balcony cabins, then all four would get whatever perks

Are sail away rate cabins offered a chance at an upgrade bid?

what I don’t understand is how and when do you do it? Also how do you know what price will be accepted? What’s fair?

You are offered the chance to bid at 80 days from sailing. Bids are typically processed 2-7 days prior to sailing. You have the ability to change your bid right up until the moment it is processed. If your bid is accepted, your payment method will be processed immediately and you will be "stuck" with the room you are assigned. You are not given a chance to cancel or change your bid after it has been processed.

As for what is fair or whether it will be accepted, that depends on a LOT of factors. Clearly, availability of staterooms is the most important. After that, it's what nets NCL the most money. Those who bid highest will typically be awarded the upgrade, however there are other factors as well, such as the demand for the stateroom you are upgrading FROM. If other bidders have bid a lot for YOUR room, they you may be able to get away with a slightly lower bid than someone who had a less desirable original category.

My advice is always to book a room you will be happy with and then bid what you are comfortable with for an upgrade. Ideally, you want to be in a situation where you are thrilled if you win the bid, but are content with your current room and using that bid money for something on board or an extra excursion. That way, you win either way!

A couple of cruises ago I got a bid invite, and since I was not bidding, the invite would come and go. I'd have it for a few days, it would disappear for a few, and then I'd get it once again. They are attempting to make it seem like that elusive prize everyone is looking for.

Are sail away rate cabins offered a chance at an upgrade bid?

Yes, we're in a sail away balcony cabin on Getaway and were offered an upgrade bid. We sail on July 22 and all of our bids are still pending today.

I have never heard of the bidding process. How does that work and does NCL contact you or do you contact them

I have never heard of the bidding process. How does that work and does NCL contact you or do you contact them

You will receive an email at 80 days out and then some "reminders" between that time and your sail date. You will also see a big "Let's Get You Upgraded" ad on the main screen whenever your first log into MyNCL past the 80 day mark,

You will receive an email at 80 days out and then some "reminders" between that time and your sail date. You will also see a big "Let's Get You Upgraded" ad on the main screen whenever your first log into MyNCL past the 80 day mark,

I guess I have never paid attention in the past . I don’t think I’ll want to change cabins but it will be interesting to see what is offered.

Thank You !!

Hi

Thanks for any help.

Kellie

Also important to note that not all bookings are eligible to participate in the Advantage Upgrade Program!!! Several Travel Agencies have opted out so if you booked through one of those companies then you will never receive an invite.

Read the T&Cs here..... and understand that if awarded it is non-refundable...... not all upgrades mean a better location or view.

https://www.ncl.com/ch/en/content/upgrade-advantage-terms