Over the Wings?

grsnovi

Just as an airline seat over the wings evens out air turbulence, so too will a stateroom amidships even out rough seas. We been blessed with fair seas on all of our cruises - all of which have been on smaller ships than Bliss. I'm looking at an aft stateroom on Bliss for the 9/30 repo out of Vancouver. I've never sailed south along the west coast so I'm not certain what is typical but I'm wondering if an aft cabin on a 168 ton vessel is going to be affected much if seas are unusual. Not sure if I should opt for a cabin amidships or go with the aft. Thoughts?

Just as an airline seat over the wings evens out air turbulence, so too will a stateroom amidships even out rough seas. We been blessed with fair seas on all of our cruises - all of which have been on smaller ships than Bliss. I'm looking at an aft stateroom on Bliss for the 9/30 repo out of Vancouver. I've never sailed south along the west coast so I'm not certain what is typical but I'm wondering if an aft cabin on a 168 ton vessel is going to be affected much if seas are unusual. Not sure if I should opt for a cabin amidships or go with the aft. Thoughts?

lmao....rofl...thanks for the laughs...are you sure on the first, let alone, perhaps you left a few ZEROS out on the second? lmao...lol

If there are large seas and wind it doesn't matter where you are the ship will be moving.

This keeps getting better and better! Yes, the sea sometimes is small and sometimes it is large! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:......lmao

make that a Capital K..............lol.

Interesting that you're mocking someone for using the common nautical term of 'large seas' but you want to measure the displacement of a vessel in degrees Kelvin, used for measuring temperature...? Maybe check your SI units before activating pedant mode again...

OP - large seas/high wave amplitude/heavy weather/big waves or whatever you want to call them, fancy or simple, are very normal for any California Coastal cruise in fall. Even passing by the area of the Columbia Bar tends to make for a bouncy ride, let alone crossing it - we had a high forward cabin on a southbound late Sep coastal (free upgrade that in hindsight I wish I'd refused!) and passing the Bar was the worst nights sleep I've had on any vessel in my life (I slept like a baby through a force 9 gale on the Bay of Biscay on a much smaller ship without stabilizers).

Since you seem to have the option, I'd be booking as low and central a cabin as you can get if ship movement is a concern for you. Bliss might be heavy, and I'm sure it's built legal, but it's a huge boxy beast rather than a cruise liner - once it gets rolling it will be very noticeable, especially high up and front or back!

And regardless of which "k" you use to denote "thousand", just remember that that GT figure is not the "displacement" (or weight) of the ship, just a unitless measure of internal volume, that has no direct correlation to its actual enclosed volume. I would be surprised if Bliss' displacement was over 70,000 tons.

Comparing airplane motion to ship motion is silly. Air turbulence does not travel in waves like the sea does, and most airplane motion is vibration or bouncing. Yes, midships will reduce the pitching motion, but the rolling will be the same. Aft cabins on ships with azipods may experience the "azipod shimmy", a side to side horizontal motion (not a rolling, more of a yaw), but this is dependent on course, speed, sea direction, sea period, wind, etc. It is caused by the azipods tracking back and forth to keep heading, causing "sweeping" of the water flow into/out of the propellers across the flat hull above the pods.

And regardless of which "k" you use to denote "thousand", just remember that that GT figure is not the "displacement" (or weight) of the ship, just a unitless measure of internal volume, that has no direct correlation to its actual enclosed volume. I would be surprised if Bliss' displacement was over 70,000 tons.

Comparing airplane motion to ship motion is silly. Air turbulence does not travel in waves like the sea does, and most airplane motion is vibration or bouncing. Yes, midships will reduce the pitching motion, but the rolling will be the same. Aft cabins on ships with azipods may experience the "azipod shimmy", a side to side horizontal motion (not a rolling, more of a yaw), but this is dependent on course, speed, sea direction, sea period, wind, etc. It is caused by the azipods tracking back and forth to keep heading, causing "sweeping" of the water flow into/out of the propellers across the flat hull above the pods.

Is there an answer in there somewhere?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Forums mobile app

Another thing to consider when aft is vibration from the props when docking etc.

If this would bother you I'd avoid aft. But the ship will move regardless of its displacement depending on the sea state.

Sure. But it is a 5 day cruise with 2 port calls. A few minutes of vibration from the azipods is not a big factor.