City of Galveston/Royal Caribbean

Maybe the signage should be better.

From Beltway 8 to Nasa One - five main lanes in each direction are completed .

Past Nasa One - three main lanes in each direction cannot be that difficult, but it is for some .

HW is under construction, and soon will be four main lanes in each direction close to Galveston !

When complete , construction will begin on four main lanes all the way to island causeway.

Besides more lanes and better frontage,

State is straightening out the HW ,

and removing the elevated main lane overpasses to flatten to one level to make HW safer !...........

Consequences of progress:):)

From Beltway 8 to Nasa One - five main lanes in each direction are completed .

Past Nasa One - three main lanes in each direction cannot be that difficult, but it is for some .

HW is under construction, and soon will be four main lanes in each direction close to Galveston !

When complete , construction will begin on four main lanes all the way to island causeway.

Besides more lanes and better frontage,

State is straightening out the HW ,

and removing the elevated main lane overpasses to flatten to one level to make HW safer !...........

Consequences of progress:):)

Just curious - what is HW? Is this about I-45 or ???

I know on my first Royal cruise, we missed the turn to Harborside. That was 10 years ago. Ever since then, I go to my off-site parking lot first and then let the shuttle driver navigate the port traffic.

Anytime Houston or Galveston get 11 inches of rain in a single day they flood.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

11 inches in short period of time will cause flooding anytime anywhere .

In Galveston ,

it also drains off into bay very fast.

We were eating dinner out at 5 .

Carnival departed Galveston today around 7:00 with all arriving passengers . ........

And RCL Majesty of Seas in Tampa Florida is not leaving until later tonight at Midnight . ..........

Mother Nature affects us all at sometime when we are cruising .

In Galveston ,

it also drains off into bay very fast.

We were eating dinner out at 5 .

Carnival departed Galveston today around 7:00 with all arriving passengers . ........

And RCL Majesty of Seas in Tampa Florida is not leaving until later tonight at Midnight . ..........

Mother Nature affects us all at sometime when we are cruising .

I should have said any city would flood.

All is well for those cruising out of Galveston tonight.

I think the demographics of the Houston metro area are now vastly different from 10 years ago. I’ve been here 5 years and seen it change a lot. Hopefully they will give it consideration, now that we seem to be meeting the criteria for an Oasis class ship.

There is plenty of money in Houston as well as South Texas. My biggest issue with sailing out of Galveston is that it seems as though if you get onto a passenger cruise ship in Galveston, you'll go to Cozumel. Not that I don't like Coz; it's just that I have been there a few times now. Time for more creativity in their itineraries

There is plenty of money in Houston as well as South Texas. My biggest issue with sailing out of Galveston is that it seems as though if you get onto a passenger cruise ship in Galveston, you'll go to Cozumel. Not that I don't like Coz; it's just that I have been there a few times now. Time for more creativity in their itineraries

Is that why all the cruise lines go to Cozumel sail to Progresso just once then you'll know why they stop Cozumel.

Tell us a prefer itinerary

If one cruises a lot in Southeast US , you will soon be looking for overseas destinations. With creativity how many times condochristi will you be happy with cruising to Coco Cay , Nassau , St Thomas , SanJuan , Cozumel , Cayman , southern Caribbean. Roatan , Belize , Jamaica , Cuba.

Under your theory Florida also would need to be more creative with itineraries . Corpus certainly could not compete either with more creative itineraries.

If you want variety out of Galveston and Florida , try cruising the many repositioning , transatlantics to from other parts of the world. Or just cruise overseas. We have done many and are happy every now and then , along the way being in Cozumel , St Thomas and Nassau .

Besides it’s usually more important who you are with , not where you are at .

Edited by ssb

My first sailing out of Galveston back in 2003 was to the Panama Canal (11 days partial transit) with stops in the Aruba, Curacao, Panama and Costa Rica and a couple more I forget. Interesting itineraries are not impossible.

My first sailing out of Galveston back in 2003 was to the Panama Canal (11 days partial transit) with stops in the Aruba, Curacao, Panama and Costa Rica and a couple more I forget. Interesting itineraries are not impossible.
7 day?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ssb- Which captain said LB is leaving May 3, 2020? We have sailed LB many times with Captain James, I am surprised that he would commit to a date. Seems most pronouncements from staff turn out to be incorrect..

Captain Anders Ingebrigtsen said for the second time this week (cruise week ending 09/02/2018) that May 3, 2020, Liberty will leave Galveston. No idea where she’s going and again, he says the plan is for an Oasis class ship to come to Galveston.

Captain.jpg.63d5b4978c7dbdbd94eafbe3626a2174.jpg

In Galveston ,

it also drains off into bay very fast..

This. Unless you're dealing with a storm like Harvey or Ike, flooding is a nuisance in these parts that we've learned to deal with and try not to freak out over. Street flooding drains within a matter of hours, and as long as you respect the barricades and don't drive into any water where you can't see the pavement below, you'll be okay.

From what I could see, as long as you didn't drive around the barricades on Harborside and took the detour at 51st to Broadway you could get in and out of the terminal yesterday. I'm not sure what it was like coming from the direction of the Strand, though.

I do take flooding into account when I sail from Galveston and pick parking lots that are elevated or take an Uber/Lyft to port. For that matter, I think about the same things when I fly out of either Houston airport. I live here. It's what you have to do.

If one cruises a lot in Southeast US , you will soon be looking for overseas destinations. With creativity how many times condochristi will you be happy with cruising to Coco Cay , Nassau , St Thomas , SanJuan , Cozumel , Cayman , southern Caribbean. Roatan , Belize , Jamaica , Cuba.

Under your theory Florida also would need to be more creative with itineraries . Corpus certainly could not compete either with more creative itineraries.

We've done all of the ports we can possibly do out of Galveston. There's only so many ports you can hit within a 7 day round trip out of there and we've hit them all a couple of times. New Orleans pretty much hits all the same ports, too. We did Anthem out of Cape Liberty and have some stuff booked out of Florida to get a change of pace.

I love me some Nachi Cocum, but it's fun to try new places.

We've done all of the ports we can possibly do out of Galveston. There's only so many ports you can hit within a 7 day round trip out of there and we've hit them all a couple of times. New Orleans pretty much hits all the same ports, too. We did Anthem out of Cape Liberty and have some stuff booked out of Florida to get a change of pace.

I love me some Nachi Cocum, but it's fun to try new places.

You'll get tired out of Florida pretty quickly unless you do 9+ nights out of south Florida

Isnt that a niche market? What can you do with a 9/5 itinerary out of Galveston?

Sure it is niche. As I recall it was periodically offered from Galveston as it was from Miami.

John, I just looked back and it was 12 days ~ Galveston-Sea-Cozumel-Belize-Sea-Panama Cruising- Cristobel-Costa Rica-Sea-Grand Cayman-Costa Maya-Sea-Sea-Galveston.

For some variety RCCL could do a 9 day. Galveston-Sea-Key West-Sea-Cuba-Cuba-Sea-Cozumel-Sea-Galveston. That would be 21 days and they could return to a 7 day routine or a 9 & 5 day routine.

Sure it is niche. As I recall it was periodically offered from Galveston as it was from Miami.

John, I just looked back and it was 12 days ~ Galveston-Sea-Cozumel-Belize-Sea-Panama Cruising- Cristobel-Costa Rica-Sea-Grand Cayman-Costa Maya-Sea-Sea-Galveston.

For some variety RCCL could do a 9 day. Galveston-Sea-Key West-Sea-Cuba-Cuba-Sea-Cozumel-Sea-Galveston. That would be 21 days and they could return to a 7 day routine or a 9 & 5 day routine.

That would likely require 3 ships.

Oasis for 7 day trips

Enchantment for 3/4

And something seasonal for 12/9

We sailed Galaxy TA out of Galveston in 2005. Great cruise. Long trip to Galveston from Bush was a downer. Stopped in KW, Nassau, Azores, Gibraltar, Villefrence, Rome

Edited by John&LaLa

That would likely require 3 ships.

Oasis for 7 day trips

Enchantment for 3/4

And something seasonal for 12/9

We sailed Galaxy TA out of Galveston in 2005. Great cruise. Long trip to Galveston from Bush was a downer. Stopped in KW, Nassau, Azores, Gibraltar, Villefrence, Rome

No, the Enchantment could maintain its 3/4 day schedule and be used for the occasional 12 and 9 day itineraries. It could even do an occasional 7 day which would allow B2Bers the chance at a 10, 11, 16 & 19 day sailing.