Body Composition Analysis

jc4me

We are booked in a spa balcony on Breeze in October and one of the extras is a Body Composition Analysis. Can someone tell me how they do this? Does it become a huge sales pitch for their products? I looked up the machine online and it says that it takes 45 second for the test, but Carnival's spa menu shows it is an hour procedure..... Thanks!

We are booked in a spa balcony on Breeze in October and one of the extras is a Body Composition Analysis. Can someone tell me how they do this? Does it become a huge sales pitch for their products? I looked up the machine online and it says that it takes 45 second for the test, but Carnival's spa menu shows it is an hour procedure..... Thanks!

Both are correct. It's 45 seconds for the test and 59 minutes 15 seconds for the sales pitch.

We did this a couple of years ago and the results seemed a bit off. At that time I was a junk food addict. DH ate healthy always. According to the analysis he was in worse shape than me!

IMHO, a waste of money...but, if it's included for you go for it. Our "professional" told us that he accepted tips at the end.

Both are correct. It's 45 seconds for the test and 59 minutes 15 seconds for the sales pitch.

We did this a couple of years ago and the results seemed a bit off. At that time I was a junk food addict. DH ate healthy always. According to the analysis he was in worse shape than me!

IMHO, a waste of money...but, if it's included for you go for it. Our "professional" told us that he accepted tips at the end.

I really dislike sales pitches! I have read a little on the machine used and it doesn't look all that helpful unless you have your own data to compare it to....how do you know if your body composition is improving if you have nothing to compare it to?? I suspect that we will have it done just to know what our visceral fat levels are. Thank you for the quick and honest response!

I have read a little on the machine used and it doesn't look all that helpful

It's sham science and the thing looks like the " audit meter " used by a particular cult. The old refrain " when something is offered for nothing, you usually get nothing " rings true here.

Had this done by a local nutritionist (supposedly with a doctorate in that field), during a eat health fair. The results I was at a good body balance and health, but lacking in some amino acids, which they were willing to sell me till I told them I was allergic to iodine. While my husband was liable to keel over and wind-up in the hospital in the next 6 months if he didn't subscribed to their personalized supplements, meal subscription plan, and attend their supports groups.

Funny thing is DH had just had a new job physical for life insurance to qualify for a upgraded benefit of 3 times his salary, instead of the base policy of 1 years benefit. He passed with flying colors, with just a notation about his just barely high blood pressure. (BTW he is also diabetic but well controlled through diet and minimal oral meds.) Meanwhile I was diagnosed 2 weeks later with stage 3 cancer. (18 month survivor now.)

Well lets just say what the onboard spa offered one is not much different. From what I heard, afterwards you will get grilled about your eating and exercise habits, then a lecture on what you are doing wrong too much carbs/too little carbs, too much protein/too little protein, etc. Apparently no matter what diet you might follow will always be wrong because it's not balanced. Followed up with a hard sales pitch on supplements, diet aids, and on board personal trainer sessions.

That reminds me of some makeover thing the spa offered for free. Basically, a tiny spot of lotion to try on your face. Then, they pick someone to demonstrate this powder. Well, I was the "lucky" one. This woman proceeded to show how the powder could be used as a base as well as contouring. I'm pretty sure my 2 year old granddaughter could have done a better job. Had to quickly go to the cabin & wash it all off. What a waste of time! The shopping talks are also a waste of time. All I could think of was that I could be lounging by the pool with a drink while they just yammered on about all the port shopping.

If it is the Bod Pod machine previously used, their is no sham with the machine. Many widely respected medical institutions use it for evaluations and my results were consistent on the ship. It does take a short time but must include time for instruction and preparation. There’s also the sales pitch. Listen or don’t but do not spend money.

If they are doing blood pressure, remember that can vary by 20 or more points depending on circumstances and equipment. A onetime reading on a ship would never be taken seriously unless needed by emergency personnel.

A person can be in overall excellent health even as determined by your own physician, but unless further testing is done (based on history and Sx) cancer will not be detected. That is not a failure of the ship’s limited analysis.

Diet counseling is for information only. One must consult many sources of information to make an informed decision for themselves. Even medical experts disagree on this. Some preach low fat, some preach low carb, some no meat. Do not buy their supplements! Go home and study.

I work in obesity research and have attended ship lectures for the comedy factor. They will tell you all fat cells get larger as you gain weight or that you increase the number of fat cells as you gain weight. Neither is accurate. And John Wayne did NOT carry around an extra 20 pounds of sludge in his gut, making him overweight.

Listen IF you want but do not give them your money.

I went to the presentation too. Some of the info on alkalinity was interesting, though I’d learned it all in college. Save yourself the time and the money. You’re better of consulting with a nutritionist on your own. You can get those Elemis supplements from Amazon and alkaline water for $2 at Walmart. It was a good way to kill a rainy afternoon, but the main goal is to sell products, not improve your health.

Personally I hate any sales pitch that is not advertised as such. Just say you want to sell something.