Formal nights in Europe - leave the tux at home

TandPfromDE

. Even prom kids don’t wear tuxedos or evening gowns any more. I had two brand new prom “gowns” with tags on, purchased fifteen years ago but never worn. I tried to donate them to a local group that recycles prom clothing and they declined the donation. They said kids would not wear them.

If you still have them to get rid of, I’d try a vintage resale shop. Yo might have better luck that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the big issue?

If you want to dress up, wear a tux, whatever, then do it.

If you want to dress in a casual fashion, then do it.

Why on earth be concerned about what anyone else says or does?

Are people really that insecure?

Relax, let go. Enjoy your cruise and MYOB.

What is the big issue?

If you want to dress up, wear a tux, whatever, then do it.

If you want to dress in a casual fashion, then do it.

Why on earth be concerned about what anyone else says or does?

Are people really that insecure?

Relax, let go. Enjoy your cruise and MYOB.

Well said.

As long as people adhere to HAL's definition of "gala dress", what's the big deal? People who enjoy wearing gowns and tuxes can do so, and people who want to dress more casually can do so.

Relax people, and enjoy your cruise.

Are you saying that the "fashion police" are the creation of people who "lack self-confidence" and who are anxious about their own appearance? I thought you avoided/condemned abusive or insulting language.

I note in passing that another definition of "angst" is: a feeling of persistent worry about something trivial. Something 'trivial' would certainly include how one dresses for dinner.

Yes, as far as the present use of the term “fashion police”, I am saying it is primarily by people who are anxious about their own appearance.

And, yes, worrying about what one wears for dinner is a trivial and pointless exercise — and a perfect use of the term “angst”.

Yes, as far as the present use of the term “fashion police”, I am saying it is primarily by people who are anxious about their own appearance.

And, yes, worrying about what one wears for dinner is a trivial and pointless exercise — and a perfect use of the term “angst”.

I would say that the "fashion police" are those who are engaged in the trivial and pointless exercise of worrying about wearing about what others wear to dinner.

Who cares about the fashion police? No one, other than perhaps their self inflated selves.

Why not simply ignore them? They are hardly worth the effort or the time. Give them the attention that they deserve.

I would say that the "fashion police" are those who are engaged in the trivial and pointless exercise of worrying about wearing about what others wear to dinner.

There are far more people who worry about the possibility of there being “fashion police” than there are “fashion police”. They are the ones who, in large part, are responsible for there being any such thing as “fashion police”.

Interesting how things are different based on locality. Where I'm from prom kids do wear tuxedos and evening gowns... and so do adults who attend formal gatherings.

It's possible that the donation center thought that the items may have been dated? I know that I wouldn't dream of wearing some of the outfits I wore 15 years ago. :o

Same in my neck of the woods. I can post pics of my nieces & nephews in their gowns & tuxes. Save for one cruise, I've always worn a tux and DW in a cocktail dress. We are comfortable dressing up but to each their own. On our next Med cruise in June I might do the same.

On two recent cruises, we were advised by many here not to bother bringing anything special for gala night due to the casualness and season of the cruise destinations - Alaska in May and Carribbean in Februrary.

Both times that advice proved to be inaccurate - plenty of the passengers on both cruises were still dressed up on Gala Night, including tuxes and dark suits. So we do what we always like to do regardless of any shared "wisdom" here -- we like to dress up. So we do.

On two recent cruises, we were advised by many here not to bother bringing anything special for gala night due to the casualness and season of the cruise destinations - Alaska in May and Carribbean in Februrary.

Both times that advice proved to be inaccurate - plenty of the passengers on both cruises were still dressed up on Gala Night, including tuxes and dark suits. So we do what we always like to do regardless of any shared "wisdom" here -- we like to dress up. So we do.

It's all those darn cruisers who don't read CC and are blissfully ignorant about what to wear! :halo:

Why not dress up if you want to?

Our last Alaska cruise was quite casual. It could easily been the opposite. Luck of the draw so to speak.

It is somewhat pointless to try to determine how many will wear suits and tuxes and how many will not. Waste of time really. You are better off simply doing what you want to do rather than dithering over what anyone or everyone else will be wearing.

It's all those darn cruisers who don't read CC and are blissfully ignorant about what to wear! :halo:

Those are probably the same ones who think the new HAL website is awesome and all the recent onboard changes have been all for the good. :cool:

We never go to port, take a cruise, and return home.

We always have many more weeks of pre or post cruise travel. Hence our attire is based on what we pack for independent land trips. Quite often we book cruise last minute as we are traveling. The only exception to that would be an Alaska cruise which is at our doorstep so to speak.

We were happy to see the new attire guidelines however it had/has little impact on us. Most of the other cruise lines were already there.

Formal dress has fallen out of favor in the society at large. At many formerly-formal events, you risk looking like the waitstaff if you're in a tux.

Sorry you have not been able to find formal wear is comfortable for you. But no reason to be dismissive about others who have.

Sorry you have not been able to find formal wear is comfortable for you. But no reason to be dismissive about others who have.

I own and wear a tuxedo that is perfectly comfortable. But these days, the only place I wear it is when performing with a chorus. I go to plenty of what were once formal events but traditional black tie has gone the way of the dodo at most of them.

Formal dress has fallen out of favor in the society at large. At many formerly-formal events, you risk looking like the waitstaff if you're in a tux.

I keep telling you, lose the silver tray and you'll be fine! ;p

I own and wear a tuxedo that is perfectly comfortable. But these days, the only place I wear it is when performing with a chorus. I go to plenty of what were once formal events but traditional black tie has gone the way of the dodo at most of them.

The dodo was delicious and a victim of its own success. Now retract your dismissive comment about those who continue to enjoy dressing up more formally on Gala Night

If one does not enjoy formal wear, all formal wear is uncomfortable. It's not a matter of cut or fit.

I find anything more than cargo pants and polo's uncomfortable.

The dodo was delicious and a victim of its own success. Now retract your dismissive comment about those who continue to enjoy dressing up more formally on Gala Night

My comment was about formal wear in general society. I said nothing about HAL specifically, so I have nothing to retract. Black tie optional is just that.

Your “reports of what ... read” - that is what I mean by SECOND HAND . I am not saying that you did not read those reports - but that they are hearsay - and would not be acceptable as any evidence. I do not deny that there might be the occasional idiot who sneers about what someone might wear —but I am saying that, aside from the rare jerk, there is no “fashion police” — but I do believe that there are many people who lack self-confidence and who prefer to blame their angst about their own appearance on an imaginary bunch of loud mouth critics.

There is frequent mention of “fashion police” - but I have yet to hear or see anyone acting like one,

Can you provide an example of what you think would qualify as the "fashion police"?

Can you provide an example of what you think would qualify as the "fashion police"?

I would say the “fashion police” is a collective bogey man who dwells largely in the imaginations of people who like to dress casually and are afraid that other people might look down on them.

I say this because virtually every post I have seen which refers to “fashion police” seems to be made by people who mention that they like to dress for comfort and do not like the idea of other people looking down on them.

I do not see posts by people claiming to have the right to judge others for what they wear. This indicates that the “fashion police” is a merely creation of people who claim not to like the “fashion police” —