Email from RCL - they cancelled our spring break cruise - chartered

I know.. they can do whatever they want...

But, I just got an email that our spring break cruise on the Navigator has been cancelled. It has been Chartered. The email explains some options - which are not applicable because this is the only week we can cruise (schools off). Of course they give me the option to cancel... but I want to cruise. Ugh...

Is there some little-known trick I should follow to help me get another cruise? I can book another one, but they are much more expensive.

I'm not expecting good news from anyone - but it doesn't hurt to ask..

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Indy has a 5 night sailing that leaves the day before (Saturday, march 9) from FLL. It is similar in price to the Navigator sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yea, I saw that one, but sadly, we are driving to this cruise (We're Canadian), and we cannot make a Saturday departure. Flying is extremely expensive from Canada during those weeks

Yea, I saw that one, but sadly, we are driving to this cruise (We're Canadian), and we cannot make a Saturday departure. Flying is extremely expensive from Canada during those weeks

That is disappointing for sure! And we are Canadians too so I get it about the airfare. There is a 6night sailing on Adventure (also out of FLL) on the Sunday. Maybe that one?

If the main issue is school-related, would the school work with you to make it feasible for your children to miss a day of school if you explained the situation to them? Maybe the children could do a trip report or something in exchange for missing a day of school?

Don't know if it's practical for you; just throwing ideas out in the hope it might help. I am sailing on Navigator in November and would be devastated if that happened to me.

Fingers, legs and eyes crossed for you.

Update:

I ended up booking the Indy, leaving a day early. This means flying down instead of driving. The net cost to me is about $500 more to fly- when I factor in hotel stays, meals etc associated with driving. We fly out Friday night , arriving in FLL at midnight - which gives us about 16 hours until the cruise leaves.

Was still able to book a hump balcony - which we had on the Navigator. End of the day, the price was within $1.00 of our cancelled cruise. But, it's even better because they offered a $100 OBC in addition to the $50 OBC we already had - so the cruise is actually $100 less with the OBC factored in.

LOVE the Indy - love the Navigator too. Both sailings visit Labadee, which was our prime desire.

Worked out well. I'm out of pocket an additional $400 at the end of the day.

BTW, my DW works in the schools - so we have no flexibility on an extra day here or there. No kids anymore (empty nesters since last summer ! :) )

Update:

I ended up booking the Indy, leaving a day early. This means flying down instead of driving. The net cost to me is about $500 more to fly- when I factor in hotel stays, meals etc associated with driving. We fly out Friday night , arriving in FLL at midnight - which gives us about 16 hours until the cruise leaves.

Was still able to book a hump balcony - which we had on the Navigator. End of the day, the price was within $1.00 of our cancelled cruise. But, it's even better because they offered a $100 OBC in addition to the $50 OBC we already had - so the cruise is actually $100 less with the OBC factored in.

LOVE the Indy - love the Navigator too. Both sailings visit Labadee, which was our prime desire.

BTW, my DW works in the schools - so we have no flexibility on an extra day here or there. No kids anymore (empty nesters since last summer ! :) )

Glad to hear it all worked out for you! Not sure where you are from in Canada but we always fly out of DTW (Detroit) so it saves us a whole lot on airfare to fly domestic instead of international.

Update:

Hey Todd, glad things worked out in the end. We were in a similar spot a few years ago when Oasis was chartered. Too bad your school board not like ours, we always get the Friday off before...opens up a lot of options.

Not sure if you’re looking ahead to 2020 yet or not but we are sailing Anthem out of NY, there’s some great prices and it’s only a 10 hour drive for us probably 8 for you. The break that year is a week later, starting March 16-20.

Hey Todd, glad things worked out in the end. We were in a similar spot a few years ago when Oasis was chartered. Too bad your school board not like ours, we always get the Friday off before...opens up a lot of options.

Not sure if you’re looking ahead to 2020 yet or not but we are sailing Anthem out of NY, there’s some great prices and it’s only a 10 hour drive for us probably 8 for you. The break that year is a week later, starting March 16-20.

Off topic but I have to ask...Ken, are you also from Canada? I have wondered for a while [emoji6]

And I second booking early. We are booked for march 2020 already too. No school calendars out yet, but they are fairly predictable. I'm banking on the March 15, 2020 week otherwise I'm out of luck too since I also teach [emoji4]

Off topic but I have to ask...Ken, are you also from Canada? I have wondered for a while [emoji6]

And I second booking early. We are booked for march 2020 already too. No school calendars out yet, but they are fairly predictable. I'm banking on the March 15, 2020 week otherwise I'm out of luck too since I also teach [emoji4]

Just east of Toronto in Durham. I go by the ministry of ed for the calendars. It really bugs me that the ministry publishes their recommendations 5 years in advance yet the school boards don’t have to approve theirs until the April before the next school year starts. So far they have followed the ministry recommendations for spring break but there was one year that they went opposite what the ministry recommended at Christmas, we lost put on a great deal that year.

Just east of Toronto in Durham. I go by the ministry of ed for the calendars. It really bugs me that the ministry publishes their recommendations 5 years in advance yet the school boards don’t have to approve theirs until the April before the next school year starts. So far they have followed the ministry recommendations for spring break but there was one year that they went opposite what the ministry recommended at Christmas, we lost put on a great deal that year.

Yes, I remember that year! Fingers crossed for March 2020. Always great to meet another Canadian! We're from Ontario too [emoji4]

Yes, I remember that year! Fingers crossed for March 2020. Always great to meet another Canadian! We're from Ontario too [emoji4]

It’s surprising that our paths haven’t crossed on a ship since we are both travelling at the same week, maybe one year. We have about 10 more years left of this.

How did you find the Anthem. We were originally booked on Symphony for 2020 but some things came up so we switched to Anthem as there’s some great prices. We had Anthem booked at Christmas a few years ago and then cancelled and went on Oasis.

It’s surprising that our paths haven’t crossed on a ship since we are both travelling at the same week, maybe one year. We have about 10 more years left of this.

How did you find the Anthem. We were originally booked on Symphony for 2020 but some things came up so we switched to Anthem as there’s some great prices. We had Anthem booked at Christmas a few years ago and then cancelled and went on Oasis.

I liked Anthem, however, I am still an Oasis class girl. It's not the same. And I did not care for cruising out of NJ in March. Lost too many days to the cold. I would not hesitate to sail her again in the summer months. I actually did a live blog from my cruise on Anthem in March. I can't post it here but if you email me, at this CC handle at gmail dot com then I can send you the link. I have a lot more thoughts written there.

Ken!! Always good to hear from an old trusted poster!

Thanks for the tip - I'll take a look.

Been doing land vacations and a huge Tahiti vacation next summer - so cruising these past few years ends up being quick (read: less expensive) options. Sadly - vacation funds are not unlimited ;p;p

It stinks, their contracts are 7nfair, if you cancel they hit you with penalties, then resell the cabin, you can book time off work flights hotels etc then they cancel with no penalty, one day someone will take them on over it.

I liked Anthem, however, I am still an Oasis class girl. It's not the same. And I did not care for cruising out of NJ in March. Lost too many days to the cold. I would not hesitate to sail her again in the summer months. I actually did a live blog from my cruise on Anthem in March. I can't post it here but if you email me, at this CC handle at gmail dot com then I can send you the link. I have a lot more thoughts written there.

Just sent you an e mail

It stinks, their contracts are 7nfair, if you cancel they hit you with penalties, then resell the cabin, you can book time off work flights hotels etc then they cancel with no penalty, one day someone will take them on over it.

It is what it is.

My kids were in school was fortunate, Spring Break was always first week of April, still is. Now my Grand Kids do yr round school. 2 weeks off in Spring and Fall, 4 in Winter and Summer is 8, and they start tomorrow July 17th. This in AZ where it will only be 104...