Crown Plaza or Double Tree San Pedro?

DesertDaisy

Just to mix things up a bit...

On our next trip out of San Pedro, we've decided to bypass both San Pedro and Long Beach and stay in Torrance, on a direct line from LAX to San Pedro and about half way in between. Taxi from LAX to Torrance, then next day from Torrance to the ship should be comparable to the long trip direct to SP. There are lot more hotel options in Torrance than SP which is an area we didn't really care for, and we are staying right next to a giant mall, so no problem with the pre-cruise shopping or dining.

The taxi next morning will be a bit longer to get to the ship than from SP, but we'll just leave a bit earlier.

Nice post !

• 2 weeks later...
Doing Hawaii Cruise on Princess 1-18-19. We have stayed at Crown Plaza many times over the years. I am seeing very good reviews for Double Tree. Does anyone have experience with both? I would like an opinion about which one you enjoyed more. I have not been as impressed with Crown Plaza as we were 10 years ago. Thank you

We're sailing with you. Haven't picked a hotel yet either. Have you been on our roll call yet? Mike in CT

Be cautious around CP. walked up street to shops and not a good area, we were followed back to hotel, we made it in safely, daylight around 3pm. Felt safe walking to Mexican restaurant a block from hotel. We had a good stay, rooms nice at CP. usually stay at Hyatt Long Beach, my preference.

• 5 weeks later...

We stayed at CP in Nov 2017. Room was very nice, included breakfast departure morning was good, and hotel offered covered parking for our cruise as well as shuttle service to/from. We felt safe walking at night, walked to a great restaurant called "Grinders". Of course I am 6'3", 260 and bear a striking resemblance to "Bigfoot" so that may have kept us safe, LOL

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Just to mix things up a bit...

On our next trip out of San Pedro, we've decided to bypass both San Pedro and Long Beach and stay in Torrance, on a direct line from LAX to San Pedro and about half way in between. Taxi from LAX to Torrance, then next day from Torrance to the ship should be comparable to the long trip direct to SP. There are lot more hotel options in Torrance than SP which is an area we didn't really care for, and we are staying right next to a giant mall, so no problem with the pre-cruise shopping or dining. The taxi next morning will be a bit longer to get to the ship than from SP, but we'll just leave a bit earlier.

On our last cruise we also stayed in Torrance, it was GREAT, we stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott on Sepulveda Blvd. We drove over from the Phoenix area and LA had so much road construction and then it rained and rained and we were rather tired and beat by the time we got to the hotel. The desk clerk was so sweet and put us in a courtyard view room on the third floor, it had a little balcony located between the pool and a conversation pit. Quiet! Clean and it had a nice little cafe that we did end up eating at. Nice area, we ran some errands the next morning before we headed to San Pedro, we hope you have a great experience also.

The Double Tree gives you hot chocolate chip cookies when you check in.

Is that a deciding factor?

'Happy we booked the Double Tree when we did, for our Panama Canal cruise.

However, it may be a waste of money since,

flying from the East Coast, we will only be there for a short overnight stay.

Just did a re-checked for their rates and found....

"There are no rooms available for 02 Nov 2018 - 03 Nov 2018 at

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro - Port of Los Angeles."

I'm looking forward to the cookies.

Edited by $hip$hape

On our last cruise we also stayed in Torrance, it was GREAT, we stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott on Sepulveda Blvd. We drove over from the Phoenix area and LA had so much road construction and then it rained and rained and we were rather tired and beat by the time we got to the hotel. The desk clerk was so sweet and put us in a courtyard view room on the third floor, it had a little balcony located between the pool and a conversation pit. Quiet! Clean and it had a nice little cafe that we did end up eating at. Nice area, we ran some errands the next morning before we headed to San Pedro, we hope you have a great experience also.

Thanks for the info, I'm glad to hear it also worked out for you. We are staying near your Marriot, on Hawthorne, at the Hilton Doubletree, simply because the The Boss wanted to be nearer the big Del Amo mall to get in a bit of pre-cruise shopping. I certainly sympathize with your traffic issues as well. On this cruise we are flying straight into LAX, but on our last cruise out of San Pedro, we drove in from Vegas, so we are well aquainted with LA traffic ;p

We have stayed at both hotels on a number of occasions. There is nothing wrong with the CP but it is just another urban hotel. The DTI on the otherhand is in a quiet park like location overlooking the LA Yacht Club and marina. If you book a room overlooking the water I am certain a person will be very happy.

My wife and I are looking at staying at the DTI in march 2019 and the prices look to be around $300/night. Does that sound about right if you stayed there before. I am just wondering when to book. now or closer to march.

Thanks for any help

'Happy we booked the Double Tree when we did, for our Panama Canal cruise.

However, it may be a waste of money since,

flying from the East Coast, we will only be there for a short overnight stay.

Just did a re-checked for their rates and found....

"There are no rooms available for 02 Nov 2018 - 03 Nov 2018 at

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro - Port of Los Angeles."

I'm looking forward to the cookies.

My wife and I are looking at staying at the DTI in march 2019 and the prices look to be around $300/night.

Does that sound about right if you stayed there before?

I am just wondering when to book. now or closer to march.

Thanks for any help

FYI... For our upcoming stay this November, which we booked 12/12/2017,

Marina View & breakfast $249.00 + taxes $39.09

Hope this helps.:)

Looks like we might as well book it now because it looks like the prices pretty much stay the same.

Thanks for the info.

We just booked the DT for 35,000 Hilton points. We got 75,000 for picking up a Hilton Am Ex card, so this was nice!