Are cash tips "pooled" and divided?

CroozFanatic

No way. I have been handed sodas without my card being looked at. I handed back a dollar as a tip. That dollar went into their pocket, not a tip jar. They have no idea if I fill out a form after sailing to see if i got a refund of service charge.

Think about it logically and you will understand that the person who reported that information was not telling the real story.

If you think about it logically you would realize that it is the folks that would be covered by the autograts that have to turn in cash tips - primarily waitstaff and stewards and behind the scenes folks. The guy who hands you the soda is not in the auto-grat pool. Their grats come from the added on drink grat which is NOT removable - and therefore need not be turned in. Now whether the bar staff pools these additional cash tips, I neither know nor care, anymore than I care whether the servers at my local restaurants pool tips. But the important part is that the bar staff is not in the auto-grat pool, so your point is not valid.

New poster. Frequent cruiser. Try to search the forums before posting.

Can anyone say authoritatively if cash tips given to stewards/servers/bartenders are pooled and divided like the auto-gratuity?

There is a post from zqvol on these NCL boards where he/she says the tips are pooled. He/she has 10,000 posts, but I would like a second opinion if there is one out there.

Why do you need to know? If someone wants to take care of a crew member with a little extra, there is always a way to keep the transaction private. Do you really think that one cabin steward is going to tell another cabin steward at the end of the week that the cruisers left an extra $20 on the table for all of us. Or just pocket the money, smile and say nothing. And that one bartender that always took care of you that week. Haven't you ever shake hands with someone and given them a little extra with what was in your hand? Once again an extra $20.

Somehow I am sure you will find a way to say thank you to that special crew member. It could even be the WASHY WASHY person at the entrance to the buffet that remembered you everyday.:D

I was told by someone who worked for NCL as recently as December 2017...

The staff must turnover the cash tip including guest information. Once the auto-gratuities have been paid, they get the cash back. If the auto-gratuity isn't paid by that guest. It goes into a pool.

We were told the same thing by a former employee who worked at our TA's office.

We were told the same thing by a former employee who worked at our TA's office.

Who is this former employee and someone that knows everything? I wonder how many crew members are fired for holding back?

I always bring a strap (100.00) of singles when I go to all inclusive's, or when I go on cruises. I tip each time I get a drink or any other service. I have a daughter who was a server all the way through college, and even serves part time as a second job. I know how many times these hard working individuals are stiffed. I would never ever remove the DSC, that, to me, is just wrong. Personally I wish they would just charge that much more for the cruise and pay the staff accordingly. This way people could leave cash tips if they want to go above. I hate that people remove the DSC, if it were part of the price that would not be allowed

New poster. Frequent cruiser. Try to search the forums before posting.

Can anyone say authoritatively if cash tips given to stewards/servers/bartenders are pooled and divided like the auto-gratuity?

There is a post from zqvol on these NCL boards where he/she says the tips are pooled. He/she has 10,000 posts, but I would like a second opinion if there is one out there.

What difference does it make to us? If they want to pool tips that is up to them. When I worked as a server sometimes we did and sometimes we didn't. We did not clear it with the customers first though...