Edge is leaving the shipyard

JBare

Is that really the shape of the bow? Looks like an ugly ice breaker.

There has been a lot of discussion about the vertical bow on this forum over the last year. Some love it, some hate it and some are indifferent (and it is growing on many of us). :D

Here is an article kearney posted about this old style bow making a come back:

A New Look For Ships Bows

nclproject_3.jpg?w=450NCL Leonado (Courtesy NCL)

Ship fans will have noticed that many of the new cruise ships that are entering service or are on the drawing board, have a very different looking bow.

The vertical bow which was commonplace a century ago, has made a comeback.

AIDA Cruises’ AIDAprima, which entered service in in April 2016, was one of the first new cruise ships that I saw with a vertical bow.

aida-prima.jpg?w=450&h=270AIDAprima (Courtesy AIDA)

The new vertical bow is said to be more efficient and often provides better sea-keeping abilities that the traditional flared bow.

1588-4511a616161.jpg?w=450Celebrity Edge (Courtesy Celebrity)

The vertical bow also said to cause less stress and strain on the vessel as she slices through heavy seas instead of trying to part them as the flared bow does.

hurti-expedition-ships1.jpg?w=450Expedition ships (Courtesy Hurtigruten)

However others say that the absence of the flare on the bow can make the forward decks get very wet.

I’m no maritime architect, but personally I really like the look of the new (old) bow.

Malcolm

Nothing is as bad as NCL Epic when it comes to exterior.. At least nothing I know. Personally, I also cannot stand the Oasis Class when I see it in real life.

For Edge, she looks pretty pretty from far away, which is mainly provided by the funnel AND the bow. The nearer you come, the less pretty she becomes. However, what I saw til now, in darkness she will be looking great!

Just my five cents.

Seems the test went well. Now they can drydock the beast and see if anything let loose!

Hopefully things are going well inside too - they are sending around UK 50 travel agents over to look at her in around 6 weeks - September 12th and 13th

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/celebrity-cruises-to-host-edge-shipyard-visit-for-uk-agents-14964

Interesting..hope they will be able to give us a little inside info...

I'll be keeping tabs on twitter - also if they send some UK bloggers too

Edited by dides

Few if any true cruise ships look that good. They are blocky due to the high number of decks, and any ‘sleekness’ isn’t productive for commercial passenger ships. There is a big difference between a cruise ship and an ocean liner, which are few around, except maybe Cunard.

The Magic Carpet is an obvious slap on, but isn’t nearly as bad as the ships that added the huge aft structures and ‘arms’ that extend over the water and large water slide tubes.

Except for the MC, I don’t really think Edge looks that bad, for a large cruise ship, and better than the 5000+ ships. The Bow is a fine cutline to me being straighter, could reduce vibration and more efficient, and not that bad of a looks.....to me. The stern? Few look that great.

Den

• 1 month later...
Here's another video of Edge beginning her sea trials.

She's looking pretty good to me.

http://www.cruisemapper.com/news/4380-video-celebrity-edge-begins-sea-trials

I have seen a couple of videos of the Edge going on sea trials and I see tugs helping it maneuver near port. With thrusters and axipods working why are they still using tugs?

Im not an expert, but from my experience, systems had to not only be used/exercised but had to be certified or approved as fully checked out and therefore, the tugs may be reqruird to be available until the full Edge propulsion system checkout is completed.

Den