Love AFT balconies, but sold out. Viable replacement suggestions?

attran99

We've had oceanviews and then went straight to the AFT-balcony where the wake of the ship is just stunning. On our next voyage, the AFT balconies are all sold out. What's a viable replacement?

I don't think I can handle a cove balcony...I'm not game to be on a lower deck. And I'm not baller enough to spring for a Suite.

Thanks!

Then assuming your ship has no extended balconies such as on the Pride, and you don’t want to pay for a suite, you will have to slum it with a regular balcony (we actually prefer it to aft depending on the ship).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Then assuming your ship has no extended balconies such as on the Pride, and you don’t want to pay for a suite, you will have to slum it with a regular balcony (we actually prefer it to aft depending on the ship).

Thanks! Part of me probably knew that this was the inevitable answer. But being we've never had a balcony anywhere else, does it matter which side of the ship or where the balcony is?

Thanks! Part of me probably knew that this was the inevitable answer. But being we've never had a balcony anywhere else, does it matter which side of the ship or where the balcony is?

Most of the time no, it really does not matter because when coming into ports, you never know for sure which direction the ship will pull into the dock or (if tendering) which side of the ship will be facing the port. If we knew what itinerary your're sailing, maybe we could be more specific based on past experience.

I love the stunning, panoramic view from the aft extended balconies. I've had them on the Magic and the Breeze.

After the third summer sailing (little issue known as school) the lack of breeze sent me searching for alternatives.

We loved our portside midship deck 9 balcony, and being under the Lido was perfect. Gave us a bit of extra shade and privacy.

Though you said you're not interested, we really loved our portside midship cove balcony. We truly preferred it over the aft extended. Total privacy, some shade most of the day, and being that close to the sea was a real rush.

I think if you are careful about what is above and below you, you'll enjoy other choices. But I hear you. The wake is mesmerizing.

Happy sailing.

Most of the time no, it really does not matter because when coming into ports, you never know for sure which direction the ship will pull into the dock or (if tendering) which side of the ship will be facing the port. If we knew what itinerary your're sailing, maybe we could be more specific based on past experience.

Also, which ship will you be on? We had an aft balcony once and never again. No breeze and very little shade. The way the stern is sloped, there is very little privacy on your balcony from those who are above you.

BTW, we love the Cove balconies and the extended balconies on the Spirit class ships. Also, some of the L-shaped cabins on some of the ships have longer balconies. :)

OP, since you mentioned cove balconies I'm assuming you're sailing on Dream class or newer. If this is the case, here is something to bear in mind. There is a wide promenade on these ships that blocks your view of the ocean when looking straight down from the regular balconies. For this reason, we prefer a cove balcony on the newer ships with the wide promenade. You mentioned enjoying the wake, which makes me think this semi-blocked view might be an issue for you. It was for us when we booked the Dream and was not expecting it. We have since booked a cove balcony twice and really enjoyed them, even though you have to take an elevator to get anywhere. The cove balconies are slightly larger and it is nice being so close to the water and having more privacy than you have with the regular balconies. I wouldn't rule out cove balconies, if you really enjoy the ocean. You can almost "shake hands" with the flying fish! :-)

We're actually on the inaugural voyage for Panorama has she departs Long Beach for the first time. It's a 3 day romp to Ensenada. I'm surprising the husband because he said he wanted to try the new ship out when it arrived.

Also, which ship will you be on? We had an aft balcony once and never again. No breeze and very little shade. The way the stern is sloped, there is very little privacy on your balcony from those who are above you.

BTW, we love the Cove balconies and the extended balconies on the Spirit class ships. Also, some of the L-shaped cabins on some of the ships have longer balconies. :)

We've had AFT on Fascination and Magic. Both times we had the highest AFT balcony right below the Lido deck. We had the Lido deck lip as shade both times and found our balcony super comfortable to hang out in day or night.

The L-shaped balconies are sold out on the Panorama ship...that was my first back-up to AFT.

Thanks for the note!

OP, since you mentioned cove balconies I'm assuming you're sailing on Dream class or newer. If this is the case, here is something to bear in mind. There is a wide promenade on these ships that blocks your view of the ocean when looking straight down from the regular balconies. For this reason, we prefer a cove balcony on the newer ships with the wide promenade. You mentioned enjoying the wake, which makes me think this semi-blocked view might be an issue for you. It was for us when we booked the Dream and was not expecting it. We have since booked a cove balcony twice and really enjoyed them, even though you have to take an elevator to get anywhere. The cove balconies are slightly larger and it is nice being so close to the water and having more privacy than you have with the regular balconies. I wouldn't rule out cove balconies, if you really enjoy the ocean. You can almost "shake hands" with the flying fish! :-)

Thanks for your view on the cove balconies! I think I'm a bit cautious because these are on the lower decks. We've always been on deck 6 or higher during our travels. But I do really enjoy the way you explained the cove balconies. Super helpful!

Thanks for your view on the cove balconies! I think I'm a bit cautious because these are on the lower decks. We've always been on deck 6 or higher during our travels. But I do really enjoy the way you explained the cove balconies. Super helpful!

You are welcome. It's your decision, of course, but we've always booked upper level balconies too (Usually 8 or 9), until we tried a cove balcony because of the "obstructed" view due to the promenade. It wasn't as big an adjustment as I feared it would be. Happy cruising, what ever you decide! :-)

I was looking at a cove balcony for my daughters...read some reviews that talked about a "sewage" smell (on the Vista) -- can anyone comment on that? Otherwise, I think we may try one!

Yes - there was a sewage smell near a set of balconies on the Magic. We are not Cove fans - while we enjoy being close to the water and the privacy of the balcony itself, lifeboats block out the night sky and we could hear lots of hull noise from the waves. We prefer being up around deck 7 aft.

We're actually on the inaugural voyage for Panorama has she departs Long Beach for the first time. It's a 3 day romp to Ensenada. I'm surprising the husband because he said he wanted to try the new ship out when it arrived.

Sorry just saw your clarification. With only the one port stop in Ensenada, it's probably a coin toss as to which side faces the ocean and which side faces the city when the ship docks. But if I had to guess, the port side will face the city - I'm sure others who have been there more recently that our last trip may have other input. :)

We had bad vibration issues on an aft balcony, so tried a forward port balcony on our last cruise and really enjoyed it. Deck 7 of Pride - I was able to wave good morning to the bridge crew :)

At least on the Pride smoking is on the starboard side (no smoking on balconies). If you are very sensitive this might be a consideration for port vs starboard.