Miami or Fort Lauderdale Help

Hi folks,

Considering booking the Allure for the 14th Aug from Fort Lauderdale. We would be flying from Dublin so looks like Miami will be the easiest to fly to.

I am looking for advise to a few questions.

Should I stay in Miami or Fort Lauderdale for the pre cruise night ( I have seen either place) ??

Hotel recommendation for locations ?

Can anyone recommend a company for transfers depending on where i stay i suppose ---cheap and cheerful :)

Thank in advance

Garry

You are better off staying in Ft. Lauderdale..Embassy Suites, Hilton Marina, Extended Stay, Holiday Inn Express, all on 17th Street, where all the restaurants, shopping, liquor stores, bars, banks, Starbucks, Ross Store...etc. are. May I ask why landing in Miami is easier?

Most of these hotels have free shuttles from the hotel to the cruise port, which is 2 minutes away.

FLL airport is about 10-15 minutes to the hotels/cruise port, where Miami airport is 45 minutes away on a GOOD day.

In my opinion it’s better to stay in Fort Lauderdale if that’s where the cruise leaves from. However if you must fly into Miami there are several shuttle companies that can get you to Fort Lauderdale. both Miami and Fort Lauderdale have several hotels that will shuttle you to the ship for a nominal fee or easier really to just take a taxi.

SAS transportation is one that is commonly recommended on this board.

In my opinion it’s better to stay in Fort Lauderdale if that’s where the cruise leaves from. However if you must fly into Miami there are several shuttle companies that can get you to Fort Lauderdale. both Miami and Fort Lauderdale have several hotels that will shuttle you to the ship for a nominal fee or easier really to just take a taxi.

Great thaks. Seems the flight and hotel combo for FL is about €400 difference for us compared to Miami

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Forums mobile app

Great thaks. Seems the flight and hotel combo for FL is about €400 difference for us compared to Miami

Wow! That really surprises me, as in my experience, FLL has always been a lot cheaper than Miami. Perhaps you are better off flying into Miami then...and just Uber or shuttle to Ft. Lauderdale hotels.

Wow! That really surprises me, as in my experience, FLL has always been a lot cheaper than Miami. Perhaps you are better off flying into Miami then...and just Uber or shuttle to Ft. Lauderdale hotels.

I would think for international flights, Miami would always be cheaper just because of the larger volume of flights.

Not from MIA

For your location maybe. Depends on where you are. The OP needs an international flight

SAS does not service Miami Airport. They'll drive you to and from FLL to Miami hotels and cruise port but the trip must originate from Ft. Lauderdale.

I am probably in the minority here, but I would ALWAYS stay in Miami of Ft. Lauderdale. I find Miami to be an exciting, vibrant international city that provides wonderful diversion for an evening or a week. Great dining, and so much culture. Ft. Lauderdale has never excited me. It feels very generic and unremarkable.

That being said: If your primary interest is in a clean, comfortable room and a basic meal. If what you really want is to have a low key evening after a long trip before embarkation the next day, then the Ft. Lauderdale options will certainly work fine too.

You are better off staying in Ft. Lauderdale..Embassy Suites, Hilton Marina, Extended Stay, Holiday Inn Express, all on 17th Street, where all the restaurants, shopping, liquor stores, bars, banks, Starbucks, Ross Store...etc. are. May I ask why landing in Miami is easier?

Most of these hotels have free shuttles from the hotel to the cruise port, which is 2 minutes away.

FLL airport is about 10-15 minutes to the hotels/cruise port, where Miami airport is 45 minutes away on a GOOD day.

Most of the hotels do not have a free shuttle. Many of them charge $8 to $10 per person. If staying in Ft. Lauderdale, unless you do find a free shuttle, a cab is cheaper.

OP is flying internationally fro Ireland. Miami would usually be cheaper.

Even flying from the Midwest I always check both - Miami can be cheaper. Just depends on flights, times, etc.

From Dublin we found it was most cost effective to fly to Orlando & hire a car to drive down to Fort Lauderdale. Much cheaper than flying to Miami or FLL, even with a one way car hire.
Think the 3hr drive would put me off that. Long enough sitting on a plane [emoji85]

Most of the hotels do not have a free shuttle. Many of them charge $8 to $10 per person. If staying in Ft. Lauderdale, unless you do find a free shuttle, a cab is cheaper.

Every single hotel we have stayed in, in FL, has a free shuttle from FLL to their hotel. Extended Stay, will even pick you up at FLL, take you to the cruise port the following day and take you back to the airport when your cruise is over.

OP is flying internationally fro Ireland. Miami would usually be cheaper.

Even flying from the Midwest I always check both - Miami can be cheaper. Just depends on flights, times, etc.

This has been stated a few times already and I have already acknowledged it....but thanks.

Every single hotel we have stayed in, in FL, has a free shuttle from FLL to their hotel. Extended Stay, will even pick you up at FLL, take you to the cruise port the following day and take you back to the airport when your cruise is over.

Embassy Suites is $10 per person. Crowned Plaza is also $10.

I know some are free, but many charge. If you are staying 17th Street area, like Embassy Suites, cab or Uber is definitely cheaper for two or more people.

Hi folks,

Considering booking the Allure for the 14th Aug from Fort Lauderdale. We would be flying from Dublin so looks like Miami will be the easiest to fly to.

I am looking for advise to a few questions.

Should I stay in Miami or Fort Lauderdale for the pre cruise night ( I have seen either place) ??

Hotel recommendation for locations ?

Can anyone recommend a company for transfers depending on where i stay i suppose ---cheap and cheerful :)

Thank in advance

Garry

Hello Gary... just cruised in the UK on Brilliance... LOVED Baile Atha Cliath! :D

The following company absolutely saved me during the Jan 2017 Ft Lauderdale airport shooting with a last minute hire... and I had also used them before (Limo-Town Car both times) in the reverse direction from Fort Lauderdale to Miami, so I would like to refer them to you if you wish to consider it and get a quote from them

FGcarservices (owner: Fransisco)

https://fgcarservices.com/

(perhaps when you email them, mention a cruise critic referral... who knows, may offer you a "special" price?)

From your Avatar you look young(er)... Have you ever been to Miami? Perhaps have a fabulous night at Miami Beach and stay at a Miami beach hotel (ie. I've stayed at The Beacon ... seeing $150US per night in Aug). Memorable, lots of fun and excellent night life pre cruise especially on a Fri or Sat night. So taxi from Miami airport to hotel, then fgcarservices (or equivalent) the next morning to the cruise.