Classic- premium drink package paying difference between Bourbon & scotch’s

dis2cruise

really wondering IF it makes sense to upgrade or pay the difference. I don’t see any menus for bourbons or scotch’s on the rocks with prices. If anyone knows or who has paid the difference in price any info would be greatly appreciated :)

There is no requirement to upgrade. Check out the menus once on board the ship and see what the prices are. It really depends on how much you decide to drink of beverages that are regulated by the premium category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, my husband drinks Bourbon. Jim Beam is available on the Classic Package and Jack Daniel’s is $1 more (+18%) as its on the Premium Package. If you do a search you can find out what Scotch brands are on which package. But best advice is wait and see once you’re onboard if you really need to upgrade or just pay the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most single malts are right at the premium package limit. I don't remember the exact upper limit, but the math is pretty simple:

{Premium package upper limit} - {Classic package upper limit} * 1.18 (gratuity) * {number of drinks per day} = {Expected daily upcharge}

If that is greater than the difference between packages, upgrade. I believe it's roughly $11.80/day to upgrade. 3 drinks with a $3 + gratuity upcharge is $10.62. So you'd break even at four a day...

If you're drinking Dewars on the rocks, you should be within the package. If you're drinking Lagavulin or Johnny Walker Blue, you're paying either way.

I don't remember any bourbons on board that were good enough to justify an upcharge...

Most single malts are right at the premium package limit. I don't remember the exact upper limit, but the math is pretty simple:

{Premium package upper limit} - {Classic package upper limit} * 1.18 (gratuity) * {number of drinks per day} = {Expected daily upcharge}

If that is greater than the difference between packages, upgrade. I believe it's roughly $11.80/day to upgrade. 3 drinks with a $3 + gratuity upcharge is $10.62. So you'd break even at four a day...

If you're drinking Dewars on the rocks, you should be within the package. If you're drinking Lagavulin or Johnny Walker Blue, you're paying either way.

I don't remember any bourbons on board that were good enough to justify an upcharge...

Your idea is good, but take into account that the price to upgrade has gone up from the price you quoted by about $3 or $4 more per day.

Your idea is good, but take into account that the price to upgrade has gone up from the price you quoted by about $3 or $4 more per day.

It was right at $10 + gratuity. If it’s now $14-15, then you need 5-6 drinks to justify the upgrade.

We were on a cruise in February with the Classic Package and it only cost my husband a $1.18 a drink to upgrade to Crown Royal or Makers Mark. I know they also had Woodford Reserve but don't know the cost of that upgrade. Wait until you board and check out the price of a drink.

Jack Daniels isn't BOURBON....that said, carry on. Woodford sounds good though. :)

Actually, it is. It’s also a Tennessee whiskey. Nothing in the process of making Jack Daniels violates the definition of bourbon...

There is generally at least one of every type of spirit on the Classic package. Some liqueurs are premium only. I have only found one cocktail on board that cant be made using ingredients whilst premium specified cant be made with substitutes. Unless one is drinking a spirit neat there is little point in paying for a premium spirit over a Classic one. If one adds a mixer - ginger ale, tonic or added to a cocktail I am willing to bet that one wouldn't know if they were drinking classic or premium spirits