Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Today in the American media is a big history, "look-back day".  Major attention as today's is the 75th anniversary of "V-J Day" marking the official end of World War II's portion against Japan and in the Pacific.  These days there are not many veterans left from that period of warfare.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

1020580178_ScreenShot2020-08-14at8_42_50AM.thumb.png.4dab50051e0ea7d3e4286503f329c0de.png

119812295_ScreenShot2020-08-14at8_43_05AM.thumb.png.f7879acc9d5e38436b125ba46de093e4.png

On another thread on this Cruise Critic boards, here is part of what I posted:

In our state (11.5 million people), our Ohio Governor Mike DeWine yesterday told state employees (except for prison workers, highway and law enforcement, etc.) to keep working remotely and stay out of their offices until at least Jan. 4.  In reality, it might be late January, if and if, when these state and other workers will be allowed, maybe, back in their offices.  Why late January at the earliest?  This Governor, who has been a national leader on these issues and is regularly on national news shows, knows something important.  In the holiday periods between Thanksgiving and New Years Day, many, many folks will be doing a wide range of social and family “ACTIVITIES” that cause more Covid-19 spread during this period that results in another round of increased infections, etc., etc.  

And if this is done now this early for these state employees, you can image that this “stay at home” order will ripple through to the courts, other private offices, etc. If I were a betting person, a cruise re-opening in mid December could be optimistic as to what the CDC will allow for ships in U.S. waters, etc.  Maybe later January?  Clearly people will be watching very closely what happens (good or bad) in Europe, etc., during the coming weeks.waters, etc. 

Agree or disagree?  Other viewpoints, information, speculation and/or comments?

1250222545_ScreenShot2020-08-15at10_44_45AM.thumb.png.928b8972f90a6ed593d89573eada43f3.png

1040107841_ScreenShot2020-08-15at10_47_43AM.thumb.png.e841c76b2174119e869d028102b84ca3.png

20 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

On another thread on this Cruise Critic boards, here is part of what I posted:

In our state (11.5 million people), our Ohio Governor Mike DeWine yesterday told state employees (except for prison workers, highway and law enforcement, etc.) to keep working remotely and stay out of their offices until at least Jan. 4.  In reality, it might be late January, if and if, when these state and other workers will be allowed, maybe, back in their offices.  Why late January at the earliest?  This Governor, who has been a national leader on these issues and is regularly on national news shows, knows something important.  In the holiday periods between Thanksgiving and New Years Day, many, many folks will be doing a wide range of social and family “ACTIVITIES” that cause more Covid-19 spread during this period that results in another round of increased infections, etc., etc.  

And if this is done now this early for these state employees, you can image that this “stay at home” order will ripple through to the courts, other private offices, etc. If I were a betting person, a cruise re-opening in mid December could be optimistic as to what the CDC will allow for ships in U.S. waters, etc.  Maybe later January?  Clearly people will be watching very closely what happens (good or bad) in Europe, etc., during the coming weeks.waters, etc. 

Agree or disagree?  Other viewpoints, information, speculation and/or comments?

1250222545_ScreenShot2020-08-15at10_44_45AM.thumb.png.928b8972f90a6ed593d89573eada43f3.png

1040107841_ScreenShot2020-08-15at10_47_43AM.thumb.png.e841c76b2174119e869d028102b84ca3.png

Good morning Terry, I think your Governor has done a good job (not a political statement) but compared to ours?

Well, yours is awesome..........ours? OMG...........terrible would be a nice way of putting it.

But as for your comment about closing till January and if cruises can come back? If other states follow Dewine's

actions, I think it would help greatly but it seems as though nothing is changing except the numbers......and those

continue to go up😟. Seems the experts are saying even the testing numbers are going the wrong way.........they 

are going down........with the virus going up.   

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning Terry, I think your Governor has done a good job (not a political statement) but compared to ours?  Well, yours is awesome......ours. OMG ..... terrible would be a nice way of putting it.  But as for your comment about closing till January and if cruises can come back? If other states follow Dewine's actions, I think it would help greatly but it seems as though nothing is changing except the numbers ... and those continue to go up😟. Seems the experts are saying even the testing numbers are going the wrong way.....they are going down........with the virus going up.   

Appreciate Lois' great follow-up and comments.  Will pass along to our Governor's folks.  One of the realities these days, regardless of location and/or personalities/politics, is that opening back up in the different states and locations is much, much harder than the initial, fairly quick closing down.  

Just one small example is the battle over whether college and high school football happens this fall.  Or, about in which manner (digital or in-person), local schools and universities re-opening this fall.  Lots of strong emotions and good arguments are present and being offered on a variety of these viewpoints.  My view is with the Big Ten, PAC-12, Ivy League, etc., in that such a "contact sport" can hardly be accomplished at either a safe distance and/or without serious risks.  Just as with what Major League Baseball is now having its challenges and temporary shut-downs, that will happen in September and October as certain teams (primarily in the South) find out that their "macho/ego" views cannot overcome the physical/medical realities.  As with cruising re-opening today in Italy, TIME WILL TELL as to how it works (or not). 

Can discuss and share more later as to how best to measure where and how much progress is being made.  In our state, they are looking at seven different statistical aspects to analyze the data and rate the challenges in different parts of our state.  Not simple, easy or quick!!  Many differences of opinions and viewpoints!!  As Lois somewhat noted, not all "experts" agree on every different question and issue.  

2111505706_ScreenShot2020-08-16at10_04_08AM.thumb.png.e6762f62820961e33c47571b714caa29.png

1251855377_ScreenShot2020-08-16at10_04_46AM.thumb.png.113cc05430c324ddec33bc33bf0cd119.png

I was not amused to read that the Governor of Ohio has already told the majority of state employees to continue to work from home until January 4, 2021.  That is so nice that none of them have to be concerned about losing their jobs.  How about all the hundreds of businesses that have been closed, and will never re-open?  So, keep your state closed down.  We are booked on a cruise to Antartica to sail on January  5, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.