Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

21 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Indeed, from the raw veg or not at all. 

Vegetables come with dirt on, not in plastic bags. 

We all have our likes and dislikes.  I love a regular sweet potato.   But for something easy, I love the

frozen ones too.   And yes, some of of them do come frozen in plastic bags.

Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Oh Spins, if only these two did not ring so true, especially the second one!!   Lola

YES!!  Agree as to those two being "good ones" from Spins.  Truth is not exactly a "defense" for these cases and circumstances related to our aging bodies.  Glad that Candy is dropping by the Cooler and sharing.   As to sweet potatoes, SORRY, I am not a fan.  But, I like very much regular potatoes, including being baked and/or as tater tots, etc.  

Have a couple of new "voices" to share below.  For those who do not know about Dolly Parton, she has been a big, BIG country music star who has also gained famed in movies (Nine to Five) and especially for her song writing with some of the top pop songs in history.  Her personality, dress, style, hair, etc., are all part of what makes her fun.  And, to some "trashy"!!??  But, Dolly has become very famous and rich in the process.  Erma Bombeck was during the 1970's through 1990's, a top national newspaper columnist with keen insights as to everyday life, families, etc.  She grew up in Ohio and later went out to California.

Got a call this am regarding my 10mm kidney stone.  It is the kind that can be "blasted" from the outside.  Need to check a few more details and get scheduled.  Not fun, but doable.  No pain right now, but do not want to wait until there would be a bigger problem. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

1605467182_ScreenShot2020-08-24at9_05_25AM.thumb.png.1673f6a7688eb05e0c63419cab63e58a.png

378948810_ScreenShot2020-08-24at9_13_35AM.thumb.png.edb35e714a94c47374c39784c0037826.png

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Dolly Parton,

We've been huge fans of hers for decades! We saw her perform in Reno a couple of years ago. Her voice hasn't lot a bit and she's so funny. I'm also glad to see that she recently spoke up about racist symbols and changed the name of one of her attractions at Dollywood.

Terry - almost all of us over here know,  and many love,  Dolly.  I am not a fan of country music, nor would I be generally of  very artificial looking blondes, but Dolly is something special; so funny and self deprecating, and I have a feeling that she is a very nice person - hope I am right.

Lola

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Terry - almost all of us over here know,  and many love,  Dolly.  I am not a fan of country music, nor would I be generally of  very artificial looking blondes, but Dolly is something special; so funny and self deprecating, and I have a feeling that she is a very nice person - hope I am right.    Lola

Great to hear above from our UK friend that Dolly is known across the Atlantic.  Plus, the nice follow-up from clo in Reno.  As a "bonus", here is another example for her excellent self-deprecating sense of humor.  She's not afraid to poke fun at herself and that unique image she has established.  Glad that she is still active and performing at age 74.  One of my most favorite of her many songs is "I Will Always Love You".  It became super famous when done by Whitney Houston in the 1992 film "The Bodyguard"

876563639_ScreenShot2020-08-24at12_16_52PM.thumb.png.58cd9f14a89b1d4c2e2823e62b46cb79.png

31 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Terry - almost all of us over here know,  and many love,  Dolly.  I am not a fan of country music, nor would I be generally of  very artificial looking blondes, but Dolly is something special; so funny and self deprecating, and I have a feeling that she is a very nice person - hope I am right.

Lola

https://imaginationlibrary.com/

23 hours ago, jpalbny said:

All OK, Terry and Lois. We were away for the weekend, in Northeast Pennsylvania, chasing waterfalls.

We stayed in a small town named Dallas (yes, in PA) Friday to Sunday. Cell service was pretty sketchy and wifi not much better, but it was good to go out hiking like a somewhat normal person.

Friday we left Albany at Noon, stopped at Salt Springs State Park, The Archibald Pothole, and the Nay Aug Gorge before arriving at our hotel in Dallas for a late dinner. They had a beautiful dining setup on their patio and the food was scrumptious, but the portions were huge.

Saturday we drove to Ricketts Run State Park and hiked about 4 miles of their Falls Trail system, which was amazing. But crowded. Hard to maintain social distancing and many people were not wearing masks. We wore them when we got unavoidably close. After that slog we went back to the hotel and changed out of our drenched clothing, then hunted down two other waterfalls which were not too exciting, before going to Hickory Run State Park for a hike to Hawk Falls, and a drive to their "Boulder Field" which was pretty neat. Then dinner at a wine bar in Wilkes-Barre. We had some huge pieces of meat, well deserved after about 18000 steps hiking today.

Today we drove home via Stroudsburg, stopping for a few short hikes to waterfalls along the Slateford Creek, before braving the throngs at Bushkill Falls a little to the north of there. We did the longer loop to avoid some of the crowds, but again it was impossible to keep people out of your face. On the way home we stopped at the Mountain Brauhaus, a great German restaurant in Gardiner NY (an hour plus south of us) for takeout. We drove home very hungry, with the smell of Schnitzel and Zwiebelrostbraten teasing our hungry bellies.

Eight miles out of Albany there was a torrential downpour and traffic came to a halt. Luckily it was right at an exit, and we know the way home from there, so we exited and made it home without too much delay. Now relaxing with a glass or Riesling before work tomorrow.

Here are a few pics from today and from yesterday afternoon. Yesterday morning's hike was long and there are 20+ waterfalls to label. That may take a while.

Hawk Falls at Hickory Run SP

20200822_163833.thumb.jpg.7dbb22acbf0db9fa94c4ad27de601bdf.jpg

Boulder Field at Hickory Run SP

20200822_172247.thumb.jpg.947bcb574db5731cf5f2ce4ba9d6ee5b.jpg

Lower Slateford Falls. Three tiers.

20200823_094411.thumb.jpg.923dd6bf210d167f2d15c4cce9fcced5.jpg

Chris at Upper Slateford Falls

20200823_095455.thumb.jpg.fe9156deacf6bf284ecfc3a92eaf1e4a.jpg

Main Falls at Bushkill. Person for scale.

20200823_105345.thumb.jpg.2352b7ba3a9b784d0ae4d896d954cd0e.jpg

Hi JP, great to hear from you again.  Glad you had a good weekend and the pictures are lovely.  Missed seeing

your postings.🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi JP, great to hear from you again.  Glad you had a good weekend and the pictures are lovely.  Missed seeing your postings.🙂

Yes!!!  Three at "me too!"

• Thanks 1

A few shots from the garden today. In various forms, of course. I used seven herbs tonight. Dinner was chicken thighs with a fresh herb salsa verde. It was 90F out and I wasn't cooking indoors today, so I had to modify the technique somewhat.

I put some whole sage leaves underneath the skin along with some slices of garlic and a bit of butter, then marinated them with thyme, parsley, and oregano along with smashed garlic, and strips of lemon peel.

To cook, I heated my frying pan on the grill and seared the skin to a crisp, then turned them over and they finished by braising in the liquid. Yes, all that butter from under the skin melted and cooked the thighs to perfection. The lemon peel strips had to cook in the butter too. If you've never had a lemon fried in butter, you are missing out on one of life's great pleasures...

20200824_190214.thumb.jpg.0e16cd44efe1a50e4702475c50e53b92.jpg

And I saved the garlic chunks that had cooked in the butter too. They will go really well on a slice of bread.

The salsa verde was made of oregano and mint along with capers, salt, and some grilled lemon slices. I put a few pieces of butter-sauteed lemon peel in to balance the bitterness of the lemon pith. It was divine with the chicken.

I served it with a salad made of bulgur, freshly picked cherry tomatoes, and some basil. That makes six herbs if I'm counting correctly.

20200824_190505.thumb.jpg.ccefaa6b6d149ae38f370aaabba88ba5.jpg

One last garden shot - a hibiscus plant that we put in this spring. It took forever to grow and we were convinced that it was dead for a while. But it's putting out some nice blooms now.

20200824_165538(0).thumb.jpg.07192bd6f3353000f57bb51862cd1af3.jpg

The seventh herb is a sprig of tarragon in my G&T, BTW.  Sipsmith with a lemon wedge, tarragon, and elderflower tonic.

Have a great night all!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3

Dolly Parton .....simply the best female singer/entertainer in the world alongside my other favourite Tina Turner.Thanks for introduction of pleasant thoughts to distract from today’s dismal world of cruising we are all facing.Stay safe from nine to five and sleep from six to eight!

• Like 3