Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

53 minutes ago, clo said:

Sear foie gras with grilled peach, champagne grapes and a little arugula. With sparkling rose'. With all the money we're saving not traveling, we can treat ourselves.

Are you looking to adopt a house-trained 67 year old clo?  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mysty said:

Are you looking to adopt a house-trained 67 year old clo?  🤣

LOL. You betcha, kiddo. You know one sign of a pandemic? A sink full of dirty dishes! Tonight will be pasta with a chicken not beef Bolognese. Made it for our daughter and her family who don't eat much beef and liked it so much made some for us. Eating out of the freezer.

1 hour ago, clo said:

LOL. You betcha, kiddo. You know one sign of a pandemic? A sink full of dirty dishes! Tonight will be pasta with a chicken not beef Bolognese. Made it for our daughter and her family who don't eat much beef and liked it so much made some for us. Eating out of the freezer.

Sounds sooooo good!  And I am skilled as a scullery staffer!  😄

Sipsmith gin, seared foie gras - I have found my soulmates!

We first met Sipsmiths at the Taste of London festival when they first started out.

We have unopened bottles of batch 1 Sipsmiths gin and vodka. Sipsmiths did not keep any bottles from batch 1 (big grin).

Also, if you can find Sipsmiths London Cup it is far superior to Pimms IMHO.

6 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

Sipsmith gin, seared foie gras - I have found my soulmates!

We first met Sipsmiths at the Taste of London festival when they first started out.

We have unopened bottles of batch 1 Sipsmiths gin and vodka. Sipsmiths did not keep any bottles from batch 1 (big grin).

Also, if you can find Sipsmiths London Cup it is far superior to Pimms IMHO.

I wonder if Total Wines carry it. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

9 hours ago, brimary said:

Dolly Parton .....simply the best female singer/entertainer in the world alongside my other favourite Tina Turner.Thanks for introduction of pleasant thoughts to distract from today’s dismal world of cruising we are all facing.  Stay safe from nine to five and sleep from six to eight!

YES!!!  Tina Turner is one of my top, all-time favorites  Love her wonderful music, especially Proud Mary!!  See her below in "action.

Many nice food pix's from clo and JP  Keep up the great sharing.

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

1149217.jpg.6721b245f522d9ec118c19647abb1706.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

In my house its the instant pot. Its more like a VAT.

Today I made white bean chicken chili which was supposed to be quick but still took two hours. 

AND THERE IS A LOT OF IT.

Especially now I've been divvying things up and freezing so I don't have to cook three meals a day every day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing more satisfying than delicious leftovers. Makes lunch planning so much easier! I wish that I could do that more consistently. But we do have those yummy chicken thighs for lunch tomorrow and Thursday. 😀

Tonight I grilled pork chops with honey and mustard. Accompanied by roasted Brussel sprouts and sweet potato fries, both done in the air fryer. A sprinkle of chopped oregano over everything.

Tasty, and minimal extra heat in the kitchen. 

20200825_183108.thumb.jpg.d6e314cffa64ddab6e211a4470a1292c.jpg

Dinner went very well with a slightly chilled Garnacha. 

Though the days are still hot and sunny, I can feel the autumn approaching. The days are getting much shorter and the evenings are cooler. We went out for a walk after dinner yesterday and it was dark by 8:00.

Haven't been in the pool in a few days. Hope the solar blanket keeps it warm for the weekend. Have a good night all!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Tonight I grilled pork chops with honey and mustard.

How long do you grill them? They look relatively thick and we sometimes find they're tough by the time they pink. ???

Following on from the Dolly Parton thing. Sort of. 

I expect most people have heard of Elle McPherson, the Australian model known as "The Body". She always looks absolutely stunning but what about in real life? Well... I shared a lift (elevator) with her one time in Sydney and I can wholeheartedly confirm that she is supernaturally attractive in the flesh (so to speak). And a very pleasant person to spend 10 seconds in a lift with! 

They say you should never meet your idols. I used to compete in middle- and long-distance running. Without naming names I once spent a few minutes with an internationally renowned runner who I always considered exceptional. He turned out to be arrogant, uninterested and basically not very nice at all. I was so disappointed. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

YES!!!  Tina Turner is one of my top, all-time favorites  Love her wonderful music, especially Proud Mary!!  See her below in "action.

Many nice food pix's from clo and JP  Keep up the great sharing.

1149217.jpg.6721b245f522d9ec118c19647abb1706.jpg

Thanks for sharing great memories Terry.Simply the best was my personal favourite and described her perfectly.Each to their own but whoever our favourites and hero’s of the past are it makes for a pleasant interlude from the current depressing Silversea and cruising world.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, clo said:

How long do you grill them? They look relatively thick and we sometimes find they're tough by the time they pink. ???

Much less time than the recipes say to grill them. It's been a learning curve for sure. They get tough fast.

Salting or brining before cooking can help if you have the time (I don't have the time most weeknights).

Some of my tricks are to preheat the grill to get good grill marks, but I turn it down while actually cooking them, and after a few minutes per side I stand them up vertically with the bone end resting on the grill grates. That keeps the thinner ends from getting overdone while the meat next to the bone gets more heat. Sometimes I turn the middle burner off completely and cook with indirect heat, but that depends more on whether the marinade/glaze is likely to burn or not.

But get an instant-read thermometer and pull them off the grill once you get close to 150 degrees, unless you like chewing on old leather. You have to get used to taking them off the grill when they don't look quite done. 

Appreciate these great food posts, comments and follow-ups by JP, Spins, etc.. This includes by brimary about Tina Turner, etc.  Also have "Simply the best" on my five-star, top iPhone play list. 

It's Wednesday "Hump Day" as the half-way point in the "work week"!!!!

481103711_ScreenShot2020-08-25at10_25_02PM.thumb.png.59e6c3999ca122601241d4ff98032de2.png

501638042_ScreenShot2020-08-25at10_24_29PM.thumb.png.a85b5aa4116b59ccd5eec602e400adcf.png

Good morning friends....looks like Laura is getting stronger by the hour😲😮.... she is a cat 3 going  towards

a 4!  I hope all those folks in her path are able to evacuate and that there won't be too many deaths..........we are now

on August 26th. Can we just delete the rest of 2020?

37 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning friends....looks like Laura is getting stronger by the hour😲😮.... she is a cat 3 going  towards a 4!  I hope all those folks in her path are able to evacuate and that there won't be too many deaths..........we are now on August 26th. Can we just delete the rest of 2020?

YES!!  This Laura is a big, BIG storm.  Below from AccuWeather is their current radar look.  Seems very bad!

1267464591_ScreenShot2020-08-26at9_23_34AM.thumb.png.24b82fabce59d8769847a3076e30f9b8.png