Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

for those who like to TRAVEL. 

Places to travel:
I have been in many places, but I've never been in Cahoots.
Apparently, you can't go alone. You have to be in Cahoots with someone.

I've also never been in Cognito. I hear no one recognizes you there.

I have, however, been in Sane. They don't have an airport; you have to
be driven there. I have made several trips there, thanks to my
friends, family and work. I live close so it's a short drive.

I would like to go to Conclusions, but you have to jump, and I'm not
too much on physical activity anymore.

I have also been in Doubt. That is a sad place to go and I try not to
visit there too often.

I've been in Flexible, but only when it was very important to stand firm.

Sometimes I'm in Capable, and I go there more often as I'm getting older.

One of my favourite places to be is in Suspense! It really gets the
adrenaline flowing and pumps up the old heart! At my age I need all
the stimuli I can get!

And sometimes I think I am in Vincible but life shows me I am not.

People keep telling me I'm in Denial but I'm positive I've never been
there before!

I have been in Deepshit many times; the older I get, the easier it is
to get there. I actually kind of enjoy it there.

So far, I haven't been in Continent, but my travel agent says I'll be
there soon.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

OK; we've been patient.  We've cancelled our cruises and listened to the experts, and have given the scientific community lots of time to conjure up a solution to the Covid situation.  Enough, I say!  We need to identify something with a high probability of fending off this nasty virus, so we can get on with the important things in life, like sipping bubbly as the sun goes down on the deck of a proper cruise ship, or hanging out in our favorite restaurant, sans a mask, and talking loudly whilst slurping up our favorite dish.  To that end, herewith I present my Top 10 Corona-Killing suggestions.  As they say, that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger! 

• Like 1

Oops!  Don't push the tab or it posts your post!

Fernet Branca - in Italy, in the town squares, those old geezers playing checkers and pétanque, - they're drinking Fernet Branca.  This protects them from anything - tastes like creosote and milk duds, but proven effective!  I'm a Fan! 

Negroni - I defy a Coronavirus to live in a body which has received a good watering with a nice, strong Negroni or three - from a European bartender who knows what they are doing.  Fuhgeddaboudit!

Retsina - Finally the national drink of Greece has its' day in the sun!  I knew there was a reason this stuff is stocked in wine stores all over the world.  Probably subsidized by the WHO! 

Kombucha - This is some sort of hippy concoction of yogurt gone bad, sufficiently so that it is alcoholic.  If I had weeds to kill in the cracks in my sidewalk?  This would be the stuff!  Die - Covid 19! 

Poutine - This will bring your life to an earlier end, and is the national dish of Canada (which has low Corona numbers), so maybe it can kill off the virus by giving it heart disease!  

Sriracha Doritos - If it doesn't halt corona in its tracks, at least the red stuff on your fingers is guaranteed to keep from transmitting the virus by contact.  

1000 year old duck eggs - Hey, they been around 1000 years, some little candy-assed virus ain't gonna hurt 'em.  Maybe do the same for you! 

Aerosol Cheez Whiz - I mean, come on!  What can withstand that crap! 

Blue Creme Soda - If you drank it at the County Fair (same place you had those overcooked onions that had been on the grill for two hours in the hot sun?), did you know that it rendered your alimentary canal incapable of sustaining errant viruses?  Well, it does. 

Raiders Stew - Remember Raiders of the Lost Ark, the scene where our hero is served the stew with the sheep eyeballs.  Of course you do, it is the stuff of nightmares.  Guess what - corona virus feels the same way. Eat a bowl of that stuff, and they are looking for the nearest exit!!  

Hope this helps! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

Stumblefoot...how was the 1988 Chateau d’Yquem?  Where did you find it?

We find that it is still right in its prime, drinking as lovely as 5 - 7 years ago.  It’s range just softly envelopes your palate and ends with the most flattering finish you can imagine.  And, JP is right.  It is from our personal collection.

• Like 1

Ahhhh. Chateau d'Yquem. Nothing matches it but a really good Tokaji comes very close - the problem is finding one! 

Mostly people think that dessert wines are just sugary and sickly. And that's true for many, but a really good dessert wine is just sooo satisfying. Anyway, it suits me fine that none of my family like Tokaji - all the more for me. (Except for my brother-in-law, he's a real nuisance because he appreciates good dessert wine too!) 

• Like 3

I like your idea Emtbsam and we're ready to cruise again too!  

Sadly, we only have 3 bottles left of the '88.  But, thankfully, we have several bottles and a few magnums of intervening years from the new century.  It certainly has been a remarkable run of excellent vintages for Château d’Yquem over the past 20-years.  Our hope is that what we have in our collection now will last us until 2050 when we'll be pushing our mid-80's.

3 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

Stumblefoot. So glad the Chateau d’Yquem was good.  We haven’t had any in a while.  The last time was a bottle we bought on board and brought home.  Just another reason to cruise again!

19 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Ahhhh. Chateau d'Yquem. Nothing matches it but a really good Tokaji comes very close - the problem is finding one! 

Tothesunset, you'll have to teach me about the best Tokajis someday.  Hopefully our paths will cross on a Silversea cruise someday where we can explore them together.  I just don't know much about Tokaji other than I've tasted it twice (both times on Silversea) and enjoyed them very much.

I agree with you that really good dessert wines are sooo satisfying.  As a compliment to d'Yquem's Sauternes, I also like Château Rieussec's, especially since they are about 75% less costly than d'Yquem.  Some of my other favorite dessert wines by grape type are:

• Chenin Blanc – Domaine Huët, Vouvray Moelleux, both the Clos du Bourg Première Trie and Le Haut-Lieu bottlings.  In addition, the Vouvray Cuvée Constance is also excellent.
  • Riesling – St.-Urbans-HOF, both Auslese Goldtröpfchen and Beerenauslese Piesport Goldtröpfchen bottlings.
  • Sémillon Château Climens
  • Viognier – Yves Cuilleron, Condrieu Ayguets

You're on, Stumbles. Although when we get aboard again is in the lap of the gods. 

Many years ago in Australia I noticed only one dessert wine on a menu but I'd never heard of Wellington Iced Riesling. Well, it was wonderful, so good I had a second glass (which is very unusual for me). Never seen it since

On the same trip we had the tasting menu with wine pairing at the Est in Sydney. As we had just had a private wine tasting in the hunter Valley we knew all the proper things to say and the sommelier obviously thought we were more knowledgeable than we were, especially as we praised the choices. At the end he asked if I liked dessert wines and, being ignorant then, I said I found them too sweet. He asked if I'd ever tried Tokaji and gave me a complimentary glass. That was the start of my love affair. 

• Like 1

We certainly loved Chateau Rieussec, but to perhaps lower the tone, does anyone else enjoy Muscat de Beaumes de Venise?  Years ago holidaying in Provence, we visited Domaine de Durban, a lovely small property whose wines were at the time sold by Yapp Brothers.  Maybe it is the recollection of the pleasant visits, but we always enjoyed this fairly inexpensive dessert wine - though not the cheaper ones from the same area.

As we nowadays rarely have a pudding course, none has passed my lips for a few years.

Lola

12 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Chenin Blanc – Domaine Huët, Vouvray Moelleux, both the Clos du Bourg Première Trie and Le Haut-Lieu bottlings.  In addition, the Vouvray Cuvée Constance is also excellent.

Have very much loved Chenin Blanc.  Will be on the look out for those excellent suggested options.  Sounds very good.  Also from our New Zealand travels earlier this year, we super loved their excellent Sauvignon Blanc  So nice, fresh, fruity and crisp!!

Seems earlier today that there were some technical challenges on this CC Boards.  Glad that things are now back working.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

851670312_ScreenShot2020-09-02at11_01_50AM.thumb.png.bfdcd6ba07dd6c086f52d49618c5ef33.png

1472750112_ScreenShot2020-09-02at11_02_06AM.thumb.png.25a49dc18f7ddf2b8ea080bb30763b9e.png

• Like 1

Hi Terry, yes, the entire site was messed up this morning. I actually emailed the cchelp address and they replied back

saying they were aware of the issues.  Looks like it is now fixed!