Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

Well, not quite, yet!  We did a dry run tonight for our main meal on Christmas Day.  We have decided it will be just the two of us, no matter what Mr Covid says. So goodbye turkey, goodbye goose . . . hello venison. Done in the style of the Duke of Wellington.  We can get loins of red deer at this time of year and we make a duxelles mixture, lay that on parma ham and wrap the seared loin in shop-bought all-butter puff pastry.  This turned out far better than we hoped so we will plan this for Christmas Day, served with as fine a wine as we think reasonable, maybe Tignanello.  Tonight we served it with pommes dauphinoise, basic peas and an American merlot but on Christmas Day I'll make a proper port wine sauce as well.  

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

Well, not quite, yet!  We did a dry run tonight for our main meal on Christmas Day.  We have decided it will be just the two of us, no matter what Mr Covid says. So goodbye turkey, goodbye goose . . . hello venison. Done in the style of the Duke of Wellington.  We can get loins of red deer at this time of year and we make a duxelles mixture, lay that on parma ham and wrap the seared loin in shop-bought all-butter puff pastry.  This turned out far better than we hoped so we will plan this for Christmas Day, served with as fine a wine as we think reasonable, maybe Tignanello.  Tonight we served it with pommes dauphinoise, basic peas and an American merlot but on Christmas Day I'll make a proper port wine sauce as well.  

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

This looks SPECTACULOR😃

5 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

I thought Chas' pic of Canadian name turned out rather good Mysty.  Not sure I want to see a photo of Moose Cheesecurd though.

Sorry Que...this is the best I could come up with for Moose Cheesecurd.....😁

69d59b74-moose-cheese-collage.jpg.6f8a513348dac378dfecaadcb4db051f.jpg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

That sir is impressive! I might just nick that idea and give it a try.

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

It looks great!  Tignanello is a great choice.

• Like 1

Bought this at a farmer's market, the farmer told me what it was, then we proceeded to have an enjoyable conversation about potatoes (of course!) and apples, etc.  Got in the car, drove home, and then could not remember for wife what it was.  Its not just cabbage.  My turn for dinner tomorrow night, hoping the cooler can bail me out.

image.png.4b89a9f2b9a9322758437a00a3afb8b3.png

QSS. Is it Napa Cabbage? AKA Chinese Cabbage?

Dinner tonight was pasta all'Amatriciana. Simple preparation of red onions sauteed with the guanciale, a splash of wine and vinegar to deglaze, then added some tomatoes and cooked it down into a sauce. It is supposed to be finished with Pecorino Romano but I used Parmigiana Reggiano insead. Oops. It's what I had.

20201121_180913.thumb.jpg.20bef1129e1d8317380f39fc6b5d09eb.jpg

Went well with an unusual California white. Cline Chiaro Bianco, made in clay amphorae. It is made with 100% viogner, which is the closest I could find in the wine fridge to the Greco di Tufa which the recipe suggested. A very deep color, and definitely strong enough to stand up to this dish.

20201121_184006.thumb.jpg.0d33b114c208f5744e354142202fb829.jpg

It was a busy day today. We enjoyed a brief moment of sunshine this morning and went for a long walk. Since the weather stayed nice enough we decorated a few shrubs in the front yard with Christmas lights. Yeah, it's early. It still makes me feel happy. Then I changed the water in the hot tub. It's almost up to 96 degrees so we will retire there shortly. Have a great weekend everyone!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 4

To me the 'cabbage' looks like what I would call pak choi, though maybe a bit 'tougher' looking.

Toques - from what I remember my mother telling me, the word describes a hat worn mostly by grand ladies, especially Queen Mary, wife of George V, in the 20s and 30s.    It resembled a straight sided small bucket, a bit like a fez, but obviously of more glamorous materials. I don't know if anyone has old newspaper photos of Queen Mary, but I think she almost always wore one to events in the daytime.

Have a good, safe, day, coolers

Lola

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1