Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Is it only for those people who are "High End" cruisers?  I only sail in a "regular veranda" so not sure if this pertains to me as a regular person or not? 

No, the survey is not only for those who stay in suites more expensive than Veranda class.  I received the survey and as you know, I only slum it in V-class; Vistas and Verandas.

p.s. People who sail in suites larger than Verandas are regular people too. 😉

• Like 2

We are looking for 2023 cruise and I found a cruise starting at Rio de Janeiro. It must be interesting to start a cruise at your home town. I am not convinced yet, and will keep brownsing. There are some many good options everywhere around the world.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

No, the survey is not only for those who stay in suites more expensive than Veranda class.  I received the survey and as you know, I only slum it in V-class; Vistas and Verandas.

p.s. People who sail in suites larger than Verandas are regular people too. 😉

Sorry, used the wrong term. Was not meant to be a dig........

Would you mind posting a bit about this survey?

11 hours ago, Lois R said:

Sorry, used the wrong term. Was not meant to be a dig........

I know.  I was just teasing.

11 hours ago, Lois R said:

Would you mind posting a bit about this survey?

Sorry, but I haven't even read the email message yet, let alone review the survey.  I just saw it in my inbox and the subject line.  

I think I remember somebody here whose pseudonym was along the lines of Happy Camper, or something like that, who used to post survey details when SS released them.  Maybe they'll show up again and post their findings.

• Like 1

The survey was personalised in that it had our SS days and compared the current system to the proposed new system.

The new system is that if you cruise on the classic fleet in a veranda or less then everything stays the same. But if in a silver or medallion then you get 2 points for each day. If in a top suite you get 3 points.

If you do an expedition cruise then the points per day are 2,3 and 4 respectively.

There was also a section asking whether they should have reciprocal benefits across all RCL lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, drron29 said:

The survey was personalised in that it had our SS days and compared the current system to the proposed new system.

The new system is that if you cruise on the classic fleet in a veranda or less then everything stays the same. But if in a silver or medallion then you get 2 points for each day. If in a top suite you get 3 points.

If you do an expedition cruise then the points per day are 2,3 and 4 respectively.

There was also a section asking whether they should have reciprocal benefits across all RCL lines.

Thank you for the reply🙂

5 hours ago, drron29 said:

Those points are consistent with other lines.  If you pay more for a suite, then extra points per night are earned and deserved. 

Silversea is now in the position Azamara was, but there are many more SS ships..  Loyalty levels were reciprocated with Celebrity, but not Royal unless you had the relevant Celebrity level earned.  With the number of SS ships, I don’t think I would like a Royal Diamond member enjoying all the perks on their first SS cruise when loyal SS guests have spent more money but might miss out on the perks.  I speak as an RCI Diamond member, although also Elite earned equally through Azamara and Celebrity. Sure I would like free laundry, but have I earned it on SS? I don’t believe I have as a newcomer.

Edit: However, as a marketing ploy…..

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

Those points are consistent with other lines.  If you pay more for a suite, then extra points per night are earned and deserved. 

Silversea is now in the position Azamara was, but there are many more SS ships..  Loyalty levels were reciprocated with Celebrity, but not Royal unless you had the relevant Celebrity level earned.  With the number of SS ships, I don’t think I would like a Royal Diamond member enjoying all the perks on their first SS cruise when loyal SS guests have spent more money but might miss out on the perks.  I speak as an RCI Diamond member, although also Elite earned equally through Azamara and Celebrity. Sure I would like free laundry, but have I earned it on SS? I don’t believe I have as a newcomer.

Edit: However, as a marketing ploy…..

I might add, as long as existing members are adjusted accordingly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just read today that CNN has canceled all of its original programming, including the Stanley Tucci series "Searching for Italy." Disappointed; hope another network will pick up the series and allow it to be completed.

On one of last season's episodes there was a dish called Spaghetti all'Assassina. Looked interesting and there was a recipe in this month's Food and Wine magazine. So I tried it tonight.

Very odd technique for cooking pasta. You put the dry pasta in a frying pan along with some tomato puree, then add hot water a little at a time while purposefully cooking it over a heat high enough to put a sear on the pasta! You keep flipping the pasta over with tongs and spreading it into as thin a layer as possible to keep searing all sides.

This is after about 5 minutes, so the pasta is soft enough to start bending.

20221216_174627.thumb.jpg.e92f87616eb3029b346738b8805de72c.jpg

It served up nicely with some Italian sausage. The pasta was al dente and had a firmer texture than boiled. And the sauce was very thick, stuck to the pasta, and almost burned on in spots. Tasty and definitely worth making again.

20221216_175610.thumb.jpg.464d228d1e3392b3c26206b086b27071.jpg

And the dish is supposed to be spicy hot too. I used the last three little chili peppers from the garden. I served it with a red from Sardinia (Cannonau) but they suggested a Nero d'Avola which would probably be even better.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hi JP, I saw that as well.

Speaking of food shows, I was watching food network and Mysty, I thought of you.

Diners, Drive Ins and Dives had a segment in Ottowa at a place called The Pelican Seafood Market.  The assortment of items looked delicious😀

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I just read today that CNN has canceled all of its original programming, including the Stanley Tucci series "Searching for Italy." Disappointed; hope another network will pick up the series and allow it to be completed.

If they do the episodes will be much shorter – with all the political commentary removed...  😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi JP, I saw that as well.

Speaking of food shows, I was watching food network and Mysty, I thought of you.

Diners, Drive Ins and Dives had a segment in Ottowa at a place called The Pelican Seafood Market.  The assortment of items looked delicious😀

Lois, I Hope you weren’t picturing Mysty in a Diner, Drive through or a dive. I Can promise you she wasn’t there! PS I’m only teasing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

We have eaten at the Pelican Seafood Market in Ottawa and it was excellent.

4 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Lois, I Hope you weren’t picturing Mysty in a Diner, Drive through or a dive. I Can promise you she wasn’t there! PS I’m only teasing. 

The above mentioned restaurant is not a diner, drive thru, or dive, but you can tease Mysty all you want.  Further, Guy Fieri does not know that a "dive" refers to a usually dirty, run-down, and questionable establishment.  A "dive bar", contrary to Guy, is not a funky or quaint bar, but a place where scuba divers hang out.

• Like 1