Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Just now, UKCruiseJeff said:

( ... and drink .... 🙂 )

So you should!

Sorry to hear of your continuing sufferings - but one of the very bests things you can do at the moment is to understand glycemic load ... and just adopt that.  Ice-cream is low glycemic load.  'ish.

Jeff 🙂 

Hi Jeff, no ice cream for me.........the amount of sugar in it is HIGH.......they do make "low sugar" ice cream now.

I had tried it at one point a while back and it is actually not too bad.  A normal serving of ice cream can have nearly

20 grams of sugar.........the lower one has 5-7 grams depending on the flavor.

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Agree that the USA alcohol retail supply system is very complicated and confusing.

Part of the debate/battle is about pricing, how much these products are marked up and who is guaranteed what profit margins, etc.

Very true.  Ohio is one of the most anti-competitive states in the union relative to alcohol with their minimum gross margin laws.  I’ve always been amazed at how much more you have to pay in OH compared to CO.

11 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Jeff, no ice cream for me.........the amount of sugar in it is HIGH.......they do make "low sugar" ice cream now.

I had tried it at one point a while back and it is actually not too bad.  A normal serving of ice cream can have nearly

20 grams of sugar.........the lower one has 5-7 grams depending on the flavor.

Quite right. 

The "load" part is all about the portion size ie how much you take.  With many things if you have some disciplain then just a spoonful of two of a natural icecream can be very little sugar.  And then stop.  I'm really please to see you being so responsible about this.  That's what's important.  Glycemic load is all about understanding starchy carbs that convert quickly into sugars as well as standard added or natural sugar eg fructose etc.  It took me years to understand why certain foods made me a fat chap. 🙂

Keep up the good work.

Jeff  🙂

Thanks...........I appreciate it🙂......I had a lovely dinner last night . Baked a piece of salmon and mahi......I had

sliced up part of an onion, mushrooms, mini sweet peppers along with fresh lemons and garlic. I put the fish on top

of all that (after squeezing the lemon on the fish and leaving the lemons in the pan with the veggies........baked on 

400 for about 18 minutes........served it over some brown rice.

It was delicious.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Thanks...........I appreciate it🙂......I had a lovely dinner last night . Baked a piece of salmon and mahi......I had

sliced up part of an onion, mushrooms, mini sweet peppers along with fresh lemons and garlic. I put the fish on top

of all that (after squeezing the lemon on the fish and leaving the lemons in the pan with the veggies........baked on 

400 for about 18 minutes........served it over some brown rice.

It was delicious.

That does sound delicious. 

🙂

Davey, 

That is really a cool looking salad.  Sounds tasty too!  What spices did you use that turned the pears from white to orange?

Today is our 32nd, so I went with a mid-afternoon bread soup with chicory, fennel seeds, chives, croutons, and a 2-minute egg, paired with a nice NV Champagne since dinner will be in 4-hours, or so.

4635957F-9EFF-4CAC-A226-8E69EEF309FB.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Nice!  We need to get on the same voyage some day, or better yet, just visit your hotel with JP and Chris so we can all swap some recipes.

Better yet. Let's take over DW's place for the weekend and fill it with a giant CC party. Then we can go look at my distant relative's grave (some unimportant guy named Llewellyn) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Better yet. Let's take over DW's place for the weekend and fill it with a giant CC party. Then we can go look at my distant relative's grave (some unimportant guy named Llewellyn) 

Sounds like a hell of a plan JP! Llewellyn the great was actually buried in the grounds of my hotel when it was an Abbey. He was moved here in 1282 and reinterred under the high Alter of the new Abbey.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Davey, 

That is really a cool looking salad.  Sounds tasty too!  What spices did you use that turned the pears from white to orange?

Today is our 32nd, so I went with a mid-afternoon bread soup with chicory, fennel seeds, chives, croutons, and a 2-minute egg, paired with a nice NV Champagne since dinner will be in 4-hours, or so.

4635957F-9EFF-4CAC-A226-8E69EEF309FB.jpeg

Happy Anniversary Stumble and Mrs Stumble!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

and a bit late but just as heartfelt, to JP and Chris.

No worries, you're not late. Ours is 3 weeks from yesterday. I was just amazingly prepared in advance, by having the Dom delivered yesterday.

40 minutes ago, mysty said:

Happy Anniversary Stumble and Mrs Stumble!

Amy is not prone to stumbling. Unless Stumbles makes her drink too strong... 😉

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Amy is not prone to stumbling. Unless Stumbles makes her drink too strong... 😉

JP knows my DW too well and he is EXACTLY right.  Any stumbling she has done over the last 32-years has definitely been my fault.  I have a tendency to add just an extra splash (or two) too much to her cocktail on a rare occasion. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon Coolers, 

A food delivery malfunction gave us no fresh food.  But on the plus side Laithwaites  (BA’s wine providers) sent us a free case of Rioja and Merlot  to say sorry for  a slight delay in the delivery of our Laurent Perrier champers lake.  So today it was a raid on 00 flour and some pizza with some wine of sufficiently good quality I’d otherwise be too mean to buy.  They have sent me some extraordinary wines which wifey is merrily glugging.  

My food as usual isn’t as refined as all the other stuff onThe Cooler but I still hope there is space for a peasant in these rarified times.   So some rustic pizza and wine piccies.  My half with cheese, hers without but with anchovies. And we chatted over the wine.  I’m so lucky she wasn’t clever enough to know I was unworthy of her. 

Needs must.

E831B557-E82F-4BAB-87C0-307664486302.jpeg

3BAE7CC3-D099-4D19-9772-D57713F6D2F8.jpeg

AD3A8951-C170-4F5A-9B28-6C050D0CEE97.jpeg

BE278581-E6A5-4818-90DA-9AC70F15E0E2.jpeg

D4ACC2DD-725D-469F-9824-65EBF2E14B1C.jpeg

• Like 5