Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

These two below did not exactly play by the conventional "rules".  They made up their own special ways to live life differently.  To be honest, W. C. Fields did not say B. S.  He spelled it out, but here at the Cooler, I wanted to keep it "clean".  Don't want to earn a "R" rating.   Right?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

1799213205_ScreenShot2020-05-24at8_44_07AM.thumb.png.3d705d7a469056718737b1f960680e07.png

1349123395_ScreenShot2020-05-24at8_43_47AM.thumb.png.b48049f5821faa56c2a44598fe8871d5.png

13 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Terry  That WC fields quip was oft quoted in law school. A few words changed...but the gist the same.

Yes, Spins, I can image how certain lawyers would learn the tactical value of "dazzle" in doing courtroom performances.  Also, I think of the song from the musical/movie "CHICAGO" where Richard Gere as a slick attorney sang some of these words: 

"Give 'em the old razzle dazzle
Razzle Dazzle 'em
Give 'em an act with lots of flash in it
And the reaction will be passionate
Give 'em the old hocus pocus
Razzle dazzle 'em
And they;ll never catch wise!"

But for the story attributed much to lawyers, here is my favorite: "If the facts are on your side, argue the facts.  If you don't have the facts, then argue the law.  If you don't have either the facts or law, then just . . . A R G U E!!"  True??

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 18,323 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s

40 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Yes, Spins, I can image how certain lawyers would learn the tactical value of "dazzle" in doing courtroom performances.  Also, I think of the song from the musical/movie "CHICAGO" where Richard Gere as a slick attorney sang some of these words: 

"Give 'em the old razzle dazzle
Razzle Dazzle 'em
Give 'em an act with lots of flash in it
And the reaction will be passionate
Give 'em the old hocus pocus
Razzle dazzle 'em
And they;ll never catch wise!"

But for the story attributed much to lawyers, here is my favorite: "If the facts are on your side, argue the facts.  If you don't have the facts, then argue the law.  If you don't have either the facts or law, then just . . . A R G U E!!"  True??

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 18,323 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s

Yep Terry true.

But a good judge also went to law school and heard the same thing. So they will stop you pretty fast and also lose all respect for you.

Never lie to the judge or try and bamboozle them if you want to earn their respect.

Once it's gone you can't get it back.

Same thing with a leader.

• Like 3

I have a question for anyone who can give me some technical help...........?  Would you have idea why, when I try to 

use Microsoft EDGE on here I cannot submit a reply?? The box I am typing in does not open up when using that

browser.  Anyone?   I am ok using Chrome but just wondering what the heck is happening. I can read the boards 

on EDGE but for some reason it will not let me submit a reply........................makes no sense to me..........

Nice looking plate, DW. Roasties in goose fat? Oh, heavenly. OH won't roast them that way, I say she should. I'm Irish, she's English. Who's the tattie expert? 

(In case you're thinking 'well, do it yourself, lazy boy', in my defence I'm simply not allowed to do anything vaguely approaching cooking. The advantage of having a skilled chef as a Mrs.) 

• Like 2

TTS I'd dare her. I'd tell her that someone had told you that they'd made better roasties than hers by boiling them for 12 minutes and then shook them in a pan of goose fat, rosemary and fresh thyme flowers and put them  in a hot oven. Far be it from me to teach an Irish lady about potatoes though. Hopefully you'll live to report back! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very Delia Smith.  🙂

I offer this with some trepidation because no one will believe or agree with me.  

My best roasties are Maris Piper quartered and par boiled for around 11 minute’s ‘ish and then roughed - allowed to cool and to steam off -  then deep fried at 130 c until they are deep yellow and crisp, and the allowed to cool again, then a few minutes before plating increase oil to 180 and finish off.  

I have done them that way for decades .... and all that taste them say they are the best roasties of all.  This may be because you can time their delivery too perfection. When I tell people this is my method some do not believe me.  

There is a little science in it.  If you allow them to cool and dehydrate they do not suck in as much fat/oil and the centers become fluffy whilst the edges crunchy.  It’s also  moisture  that also makes chips absorb   oil and make them more lethal. 

Jeff 🙂

791E584A-902D-49BB-AB3C-D8D390C4B7A0.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jilly it was.

Jeff they look superb. Roasties can be so contentious. These were Maris Piper, boiled for 12 minutes  roughed up in a tray of goose fat and herbs and roasted for 1 hour at 180 fan. Shaken vigorously 3 times. They are the best I've ever made.

• Like 2

Hi

Absolutely right.  All  a matter of choice. And what compromises we seek.  

Personally I believe that virtually all of the flavour of a roastie comes from caramelising the surface to sugars and the texture comes from the very fluffy interior.  Sweet crunch and softness inside. I don’t really want to be able to taste the fat or even be able to tell what sort of fat it is.  These are also a bit heslthier because less fat is absorbed. They can also be timed to be right for when the protein has rested and ready. 

Jeff 🙂

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2

Tonight was one of those nights that everything came together perfectly. The perfect crunch, the perfect fluffy centres , just at the same time the meat had rested perfectly. I'm loving lockdown. I was almost tempted to do the hokey cokey. Instead I opted for 2 verses of the hokey pokey! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It looked like a lovely meal.  Well done! 

It's odd that when I looked at your potato they seemed a little yellower and waxy rather than flowery and I thought wrongly Charlottes.  When I do that style of potato I use Charlottes in their skin and fully boil them but finish them on the hob in butter and olive oil with herbs and course seasalt sprinkled on late.  Not really saute as the skin isn't really crisp. 

I'm really hoping our delivery doesn't go wrong tommorow because I have ordered something we don't see much now -  stuffed lamb breast which we'll have with some new pots.

Jeff 🙂

• Like 2

Morrisons actually.  On almost every front their food has been superior.   It has been a revelation. 

I’ve also ordered some pork belly as She is missing Singapore and I have promised her some char siu  with beansprouts.  This was the last plate I made her. 

FF7A0C94-D6EA-4469-BA65-7E30AEE544E6.png

• Like 1

Wow, I think we are seeing spuds done right!  Too late to accompany tonight's halibut but wishing they could.

My first line of thinking was these look almost as good as Southern hash browns.  My second was, let me go back over these posts to figure the recipe our friends are using

• Like 1

It's an odd relationship the Irish still have with potatoes. My parents, for example, will simply not consider food a meal unless there is a potato element - boiled, mashed, roasted, chipped; doesn't matter as long as there is a potato in there somewhere. 

If they have soup they cut up a couple of spuds and chuck them in the soup for half an hour on the stove. So you get soup (vegetable, chicken, tomato, whatever) with chunks of boiled potato in it. It's rather nice, actually. 

The only exception is a fried breakfast. Well, I say an exception but they get round it by frying up (eugh!) a couple of potato farls (HP or tomato sauce being optional extras). 

Both 88 and fighting fit so they are clearly doing something right. 

• Like 1