Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

She also writes for Granta ... a great read. I remember this article because she was “doing`” “The Lady’s not for burning” by Christopher Fry which was inflicted on me at school. I had to play Thomas and his lines were the most boring experience. The trouble is once you learn lines they are difficult to forget. Remembering them out loud is a great way to clear a table. :D

https://granta.com/Lynn-Barber/

WOW J! That was a very interesting piece! I was enthralled from the first sentence! Thanks for the link! On a different note....do we all have stage experience from high school? I was cast as a prissy, grumpy old woman jury member in a play about a jury trial. Seems kind of prophetic now as I must show up for potential jury duty on Wednesday. Not the prissy bit but definitely the grumpy bit.

M, the terrible irony is that The Lady’s Not for Burning is about boredom ..... “Oh tedium tedium, tedium, the frenzied cermonial drumming of the humdrum ....... where in this small talking world can I find a longitude without a latitude ..... “

Once in you can never get it out! :D

Jury service is entirely optional ....;) but good luck!

Thanks J! I do find the cadence in the bit you quoted (tedium, tedium, tedium.......) a bit mesmerizing although I think boredom is a common sentiment these days. Not a lot of call to stretch the intellectual muscles at this juncture in time. Sad that!

The play is in verse, which means it is a dog and unforgiving to learn. Christopher Fry had tenuous links to my school, which evacuated to his school during the war. He came to the school during rehearsals to give us some first hand direction, which was very kind The play itself was taken to the US by Gielgood and starred a young Richard Burton and Claire Bloom ... you can imagine Burtons voice playing the part I did ie Thomas. It is sort of Shakespearean in an odd way.

“If I had born a flame say, poised on the flighty deck of a candle, I could go out, whip through the door of my exasperations. But now I remain, like the impossibility of water on a desert”.

I wish I could forget it!

I'm sorry you are tortured by the memory of those lines J! I do quite love them! Of course I was not tasked with memorizing them! What a treat it would be to actually hear you recite them! I'll bet you would have given Burton a run for his money!

G’Day All.....

Having a chill day following the hectic London weekend.....The Dorchester was its usual superb self and l really don’t think they ever use the word ‘no’.....

On the way to breakfast yesterday l saw the rep waiting for her guests who would be going on to Tilbury today....such an interesting lady who’s been associated with ships as long as l! We had a long chat!

Our restaurant dining choices were also as good as ever and the two shows we saw were brilliant.

Shopping was completely off the agenda so DD, my old friend and myself spent some real quality time together.....perfect.

Not so perfect were the railway staff at Crewe station....so damn rude I’m feeling the need to write a complaint.....🤬

Have been trying to catch up and so good to see the cooler buzzing along....

Happy Day 😊

Hi coolers...…..well, I am in between lab tests......I went for my Bone Density test this morning...….that only took about 10 minutes. Then to the Hospital for the Parathyroid Scan....that is where I had a bit of issues:eek:…..my veins are small...….they tried to inject the stuff but it didn't go in properly:(....so they actually had to get another tech to come in and give me a regular IV so they could then inject the stuff into that...…...then you have to wait 15 more minutes and then they do the scan...….so finally got that part done and now I have to go back at 3:00 and they do additional an additional scan. The results will be sent to my Dr so I am guessing I will get the results on Wednesday or maybe tomorrow.

Hope everyone is having a good day.:)

S - Glad you're having a good time. A friend came from London for the w/e via Crewe (why I have no idea but that's another story) a few weeks ago and had a similar problem when she changed trains. She said they were horribly rude to her.

Good morning coolers! Bouncing around the North Sea on our way to Amsterdam. Probably 25 nautical miles to the canal where things get smoother.

Hamburg was great fun and hoping for much more of the same. Going to try to jump ship as soon as we dock, and do a canal cruise before dinner.

Lois, awaiting the next update. Best of luck. Thinking about you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Waiting in the Qantas lounge that Qatar Airways uses.

Nice prawn on a skewer was just offered. A good start with a nice glass of Chardonnay ( or two!).

Looking forward to our week in Paris and week in Provence with the family.

Then off to Venice for a month.

I haven’t ever posted photos but may try to post a few as we go along.

Hope your tests are favourable Lois.

Afternoon All....it’s drab and dull up here too Jeffers.....l believe our early morning rain is on the way down to you!

Good to hear JP and Chris are having a great time...

Hope all goes well for you Lois...

Safe travels Jilly....

mw......l was really miffed with the staff at Crewe.... it’s not good for any visitors who need help...‘twas the ticket machine dragons that were just really unhelpful...they could see us struggling with the stupid ticket machines yet just stood there...then when l finally got lift off and took my case through l was told off for not going through the wide entrance...so why didn’t they tell me.....coming back was the same even though l went to go through the *****ing proper exit...l was told off for being out of line....afraid l did let myself down and swore at them..🤬

Bearing in mind that not once during the whole weekend in London did we find anybody less than helpful...

Ah well....such is life...and nowt as queer as folk...🤨😊