Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

4 hours ago, zqtchas said:

Does she read Southern Living magazine?

Spoke to daughter.  She started doing the Hoppin' John thing in 2010 when she heard about it from social media friends in the US.  She said that she did not make it last year.  Now she's convinced that the omission resulted in COVID attacking the world.  😁  Not really but she did not want to risk it again this year.  Apparently if you have leftover Hoppin' John on January 2 it is called Skippin' Jenny!    So intriguing!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

I think folks enjoy arguing over the proper ingredients for Hoppin John as much as they enjoy arguing about the origins of Brunswick Stew or whether Crape Myrtles need to be cut back hard every couple of years.  Beats arguing politics!

Apparently the colours of things added to the Hoppin' John also have significance.  

2 hours ago, mysty said:

Spoke to daughter.  She started doing the Hoppin' John thing in 2010 when she heard about it from social media friends in the US.  She said that she did not make it last year.  Now she's convinced that the omission resulted in COVID attacking the world.  😁  Not really but she did not want to risk it again this year.  Apparently if you have leftover Hoppin' John on January 2 it is called Skippin' Jenny!    So intriguing!  

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

Well, that's arguable 😉 but something green and something gold are often added to symbolize wealth in the year ahead

hoppin.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Our dinner tonight has induced a protein coma!

I made a stew loosely based on cassoulet. Used ham, pork sausage, and the leftover meat from the Christmas goose, braised in a broth with onions and garlic, then finished with some lentils. I'm still stuffed but loving it!

Happy 2021!

JP -

I see you followed through on the cassoulet threat, post-goose.  Looks yummy.  This is definitely a meal for someone who works in the fields all day, or shoveling out your 200' driveway.  But given the year we just endured, a celebratory repast was in order.  

• Like 2

I decided last night I need to try making an old standard.  My decision was a fresh tossed salad to be served before the cheese souffle with Haricots Verts basted in rosemary evoo and a sprinkling of Pecorino. It was served with a Prosecco.  To me it was a great pairing and I remembered how to do it.🤩

I remember going to dinner to at Le Souffle in Manhattan down the block from Lincoln Center the 70's and 80's.  Well, this was every bit as good.

20210102_190111.thumb.jpg.318fbb2d317117b28794dba06978adff.jpg

Bon Appetit!

• Like 4

We had as usual a very quiet New Year's Eve.In bed early.

But this time we were lucky as China is punishing Australia for wanting an Inquiry into the origins of Covid.But one of the things they have banned is lobster.So this year we were able to get 4 of them straight from the source for virtually the same price as one the year before.

This one was the last and consumed on NYE.

image.jpeg.d1e9f0c47698a5ed1525d3ef1fa32929.jpeg.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

We had as usual a very quiet New Year's Eve.In bed early.

But this time we were lucky as China is punishing Australia for wanting an Inquiry into the origins of Covid.But one of the things they have banned is lobster.So this year we were able to get 4 of them straight from the source for virtually the same price as one the year before.

This one was the last and consumed on NYE.

image.jpeg.d1e9f0c47698a5ed1525d3ef1fa32929.jpeg.

Would be interested to see how much each and where they were from. 
We had one for about $100.  A little more than half more than last year.  We feel sorry for the fishermen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.....

f10c716630d23f884a78c2b561821338.jpg.00567320f0005b38dcbbe4070102b536.jpg

Have a great safe day all!

I need some. Just got home from work; went in at 4AM for an emergency. Now having some coffee and deciding whether or not to nap. Unlikely; maybe I'll be able to go to sleep early tonight instead.

• Like 3

We have been dealing with our aging dog and her weak back legs and sundowners.

Today we celebrated that she slept thru most of the night with the mimosas we were to have on Christmas morn but skipped because we were sleep deprived.

Only I did not have any OJ. A quick trip to the casa freezer and pulled out some frozen pureed mango. Add some fresh squeezed lime juice with a slice of lime and we are enjoying a mango lime bellini in a very large vessel ( because we are thinking of vessels and cruises).

940079588_20210103_0852543.thumb.jpg.c6ca929e7633e04c094f8c52e96f8b8f.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

I decided last night I need to try making an old standard.  My decision was a fresh tossed salad to be served before the cheese souffle with Haricots Verts basted in rosemary evoo and a sprinkling of Pecorino. It was served with a Prosecco.  To me it was a great pairing and I remembered how to do it.🤩

I remember going to dinner to at Le Souffle in Manhattan down the block from Lincoln Center the 70's and 80's.  Well, this was every bit as good.

20210102_190111.thumb.jpg.318fbb2d317117b28794dba06978adff.jpg

Bon Appetit!

Recipe please since we can't get it delivered

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Recipe please since we can't get it delivered

Basic Cheese Soufflé

2 tbs butter

2 tbs flour

3/4 cup hot milk

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 dry mustard

3 drops hot pepper sauce

1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

4 egg yokes, well beaten

4 egg whites, beaten stiff but not dry

Melt butter in sauce pan, low heat and blend in flour.  Cook 1 minute.  Remove from heat and stir in hot milk.  Cook and stir over medium heat until sauce thickens.

Add seasonings and shredded cheese and stir until cheese melts and blends in.  

Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.  Add beaten egg yokes gradually, stirring briskly.  Fold in the beaten egg whites gently but throughly.

Pour into 1 1/2  quart soufflé dish. I buttered the interior of the dish.

Bake at 300 F for 50 minutes.

Yield: 4 servings.

Remember, it is easy to separate eggs when they are cold, but whipping the whites are best at room temp.

I hope you will enjoy this as much as we have.💓

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

Basic Cheese Soufflé

2 tbs butter

2 tbs flour

3/4 cup hot milk

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 dry mustard

3 drops hot pepper sauce

1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

4 egg yokes, well beaten

4 egg whites, beaten stiff but not dry

Melt butter in sauce pan, low heat and blend in flour.  Cook 1 minute.  Remove from heat and stir in hot milk.  Cook and stir over medium heat until sauce thickens.

Add seasonings and shredded cheese and stir until cheese melts and blends in.  

Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.  Add beaten egg yokes gradually, stirring briskly.  Fold in the beaten egg whites gently but throughly.

Pour into 1 1/2  quart soufflé dish. I buttered the interior of the dish.

Bake at 300 F for 50 minutes.

Yield: 4 servings.

Remember, it is easy to separate eggs when they are cold, but whipping the whites are best at room temp.

I hope you will enjoy this as much as we have.💓

Thank you!! Yummy. I have no milk could I use heavy artery clogging cream???

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Thank you!! Yummy. I have no milk could I use heavy artery clogging cream???

49 minutes ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

Since you are basically making a roux, give it a try.  What are a few extra calories

amongst friends?

I'm not sure. A souffle is more of a "baking" recipe than a "cooking" recipe.

In general, baking recipes need to be followed more closely, or things will potentially not come out right. The balance between the strength of the leavening (egg whites) and the dough's heft from its fat content (from the milk and the egg yolks) is probably important to the performance of this recipe. It might work with cream too, or it might end up being too heavy and not rise enough. You might be able to compensate by removing some of the egg yolks. But I also may have no idea what I'm talking about! Maybe the fat content from the cheese is so high that cream vs milk is immaterial.

I am NOT a proficient baker. Chris is way better at following directions, and she can make some amazing cakes. I am a better sautee-er or braise-er... I just throw stuff in a pot and hope for the best.

I just put a pork roast in the oven for dinner. Crusted with some of the last of my fresh rosemary plant, a bit of Dijon mustard, olive oil, and fresh pepper. I don't think I can last another 90 minutes waiting for it to get done, though. I'm starving after being awake since 3:30! Must...snack...

20210103_165028.thumb.jpg.632c417345ecab7e96e9334851fe1cd6.jpg

Edited to add: I think the above actually has a bit of truth to it. I just found a food and wine recipe for cheese souffle, using heavy cream instead of milk.

They still use 4 yolks, BUT they add 3 additional whites (total of 7 whites) to make it rise. And they add cream of tartar to make the whites tougher, so they leaven more effectively. 

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/best-ever-cheese-souffle

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1