Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

14 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Wow, Davey! And you said that you weren't working for Christmas? Really impressive! 

The goose was delsih. So rich and tasty! And it looked pretty nice too. After 1h in the oven.

20201225_130906.thumb.jpg.3ee1ebf20f6f01a37c2bbe8c1e350b6c.jpg

Done after 2h. Time to rest. 

20201225_140942.thumb.jpg.d6c3f53f3f5714de4072116c019a5c5d.jpg

A nice Christmas setting. We brought out the good china. Why not?

20201225_143821.thumb.jpg.479ac5ae22d6bf201376d25a339b49df.jpg

Carved and time to eat! Such crispy skin.

20201225_145044.thumb.jpg.38edd01d7fffad689c9975b2ab8bcaae.jpg

The meat was rich and flavorful. It was perfect with a raw cranberry relish, and an Oregon Pinot Noir. And the russet potatoes were cooked in the roasting pan with lots of goose fat. Divine! 

I'd cook a goose again. It's a bit of work but the end result felt special and very festive. Merry Christmas to all.

It looks amazing JP!  Congrats!  And good job using the good china!  Life is short enjoy it while you can!  🥰

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jillyf said:

DW, I’m inviting myself next year. 

We have rented a farm house about 2 hours from Melbourne. It’s very basic with glassware etc unfortunately, but we managed. 
Photo is from the first course.fresh prawns, stir fried prawns and lobster tails with my favourite Riesling from Skilogalee South Australia and a Dr Loosen riesling. Very nice. 
No photos of the Roast pork, glazed ham and chicken ballontine ( stuffed with Toulouse sausage). 
Had some lovely Zema Estate Shiraz and Henschke Hill of Grace Shiraz. 
We finished the afternoon at the pool. Only the children swam as the water is too cold for the adults!

The sun was shining and it was a pleasant 29C ( 84F). 
The funny looking candle is lit to remember those not with us. 
image.thumb.jpeg.86b875e1516626a238d77413c5ee1a8d.jpeg

Beautiful Jill!  Thanks for sharing your joy!  Meal looks delicious!  Here's hoping that we can all creep closer to the old norm for 2021!  🥰

• Like 1

WOW....all of your Christmas Dinners look delicious😀.  JP, glad the goose came out so good!

Looks great for sure!

DW......what a BEAUTIFUL presentation.😀  That trifle looks spectacular!!!!!!!!!

Hi Jilly, good to see you again.  Those shrimp look terrific!!!

Merry Christmas everyone.  All your special meals look wonderful.  We opted for a more sedate holiday and went for a walk.  We were notified of a medical emergency in our community but since we were without masks, O2, or transportation, there was little we could do.  Fortunately one other EMS volunteer was able to respond.  We are truly blessed to be in such a unique community.

While we have so much for which to be thankful, many others do not.  For those of you unaware, Steve and Janet have created a mechanism on another social media platform where Silversea patrons can support some of the crew who have been so instrumental in our enjoyment of our cruises.  If you need any information, you can email me at emtbsam at yahoo dot com.

Best wishes for a happy and most importantly healthy new year!

• Like 4

Well, no spectacular photos, but we did make a nice Cassoulet here.  Broke out the Julia Childs cook book from the 70's.  She has you spending 3 days on it -  I said, no way - 2 days TOPS!!   Nice fresh Great Northern White beans, local lean bacon, chicken thighs, pork loin, local Polish sausage, and much from our garden: tomatoes, garlic, leeks, onion, carrots.  Stock from days past, frozen.  A lot of work to make, but such a wonderful winter meal - gives you the strength to get up and do what needs to be done!  Which is - to pour a glass or four of nice Beaujolais!  We wish you all the best, and now, settle down for a long winter's nap!  

• Like 3

Love cassoulet! I think it is even better with duck leg confit...

Which has just given me an idea for how to use the leftover goose meat, of which there is a goodly amount. I stored the extra meat in the fridge, covered in all of the extra goose fat. So it will be somewhat like confit after sitting like that for a few days.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jpalbny said:

The meat was rich and flavorful. It was perfect with a raw cranberry relish, and an Oregon Pinot Noir. And the russet potatoes were cooked in the roasting pan with lots of goose fat. Divine! 

I'd cook a goose again. It's a bit of work but the end result felt special and very festive. Merry Christmas to all.

Congrats on the goose!  Lovely looking crispy skin.

14 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Wow, Davey! And you said that you weren't working for Christmas? Really impressive! 

The goose was delsih. So rich and tasty! And it looked pretty nice too. After 1h in the oven.

20201225_130906.thumb.jpg.3ee1ebf20f6f01a37c2bbe8c1e350b6c.jpg

Done after 2h. Time to rest. 

20201225_140942.thumb.jpg.d6c3f53f3f5714de4072116c019a5c5d.jpg

A nice Christmas setting. We brought out the good china. Why not?

20201225_143821.thumb.jpg.479ac5ae22d6bf201376d25a339b49df.jpg

If you ask me it's definitely worth the bit of work, a great looking bird.

In the holiday spirit and to help us pass through these "stay-at-home" times when we cannot travel, below are some visual highlights from the "good-old-days" when we have visited New York City.  Wonderful city when places are open, people are enjoying the holiday season, etc.  Bring back memories?   Maybe and hopefully for the late 2021 holiday season, things will be back to "normal" in New York City and for all other locations.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 67,828 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

At Rockefeller Center, their famed tree and holiday decorations are always a top attraction and thrilling sign of the season.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

DSC_0578.thumb.jpeg.ef3c3a6b7f9f13750abdd0dfa4353a1f.jpeg

DSC_0530.thumb.jpeg.29908d01b8c29da5ed9a888b7930512c.jpeg

First, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, was one of their holiday trees decorated for the season.  Next are two visual samples from the Radio City Music Hall Rockettes show that is such super fun during the holiday season.  Anyone else who has enjoyed this show and/or NYC during this exciting period?:

DSC_0614.thumb.jpeg.7a8ae4b31a32c4bf1a447ee9fc85f152.jpeg

DSC_0631.thumb.jpeg.b38122620aec10029e13ad78b33ba5e0.jpeg

DSC_0646.thumb.jpeg.8b14570a1673be7dcc3ba481af72d2df.jpeg

1 minute ago, zqtchas said:

Mysty, where are all your food displays?

Chas we got lucky this year.  We could not visit family.  But we have been social bubbling with two other delightful couples in our apartment building since the bubble became a thing.  One of the couples could not visit with family due to the lockdown as well so they invited us to join them for what was an amazing Christmas feast!  No pictures though.  😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zqtchas said:

k (2).png

Happen to know a guy at Lays who tells me it isn't air -- it's nitrogen.  Evidently they remove the air, which makes the chips go stale, inject a shot of nitrogen, and seal.   Now you know....:-)   Posters never want to misinform......

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dusababy said:

Happen to know a guy at Lays who tells me it isn't air -- it's nitrogen.  Evidently they remove the air, which makes the chips go stale, inject a shot of nitrogen, and seal.   Now you know....:-)   Posters never want to misinform......

I think it was intended as a joke.   Not intended to misinform anyone.  😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1