Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

11 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Mmmmm, yum, sounds delish.

After having the most perfect butter poached Cod in Stockholm a few weeks ago I made  my first attempt last night.  I used a Beurre Blanc with fresh chives and thyme. Sided with a spinach  strawberry salad and crispy potatoes. Plates were cleaned.

20240627_203345.thumb.jpg.b981ca2ff40e0e19c33c29a1d8a620f8.jpg

That looks lovely.  

Weird how one can start thinking about the proteins and the meal in the light of something previously not properly noticed.  I’m looking  forward to fish with a simple squeeze of fresh lemon and a glug of oil.

We have missed our Vienna trips since before covid.  For around 30+ years we’ve always gone every first Monday in December for the Christmas markets and midsummer … and we often added a spring visit as well. Always Monday to Friday for 5 days.

Summer focussed on stelze in the Swiss House and trips up to Grinzing on the tram 38 to Martin Sepp for their heurige buffet, which had pork. andother delights.

https://www.schweizerhaus.at/speisen-getraenke

https://zummartinsepp.at/

I now think of roast pork as being a summer dish, so today is roast loin of pork with a calvados gravy with whatever I decide in an hour or so. 

If it doesn’t look too bad I’ll post a piccy with whatever it becomes.

Jeff

• Like 1

Just now, UKCruiseJeff said:

That looks lovely.  

Weird how one can start thinking about the proteins and the meal in the light of something previously not properly noticed.  I’m looking  forward to fish with a simple squeeze of fresh lemon and a glug of oil.

We have missed our Vienna trips since before covid.  For around 30+ years we’ve always gone every first Monday in December for the Christmas markets and midsummer … and we often added a spring visit as well. Always Monday to Friday for 5 days.

Summer focussed on stelze in the Swiss House and trips up to Grinzing on the tram 38 to Martin Sepp for their heurige buffet, which had pork. andother delights.

https://www.schweizerhaus.at/speisen-getraenke

https://zummartinsepp.at/

I now think of roast pork as being a summer dish, so today is roast loin of pork with a calvados gravy with whatever I decide in an hour or so. 

If it doesn’t look too bad I’ll post a piccy with whatever it becomes.

Jeff

How nice to have that in your European back yard.  Very jealous! 

Me likey pork. What time is dinner?

Tomorrow is Lettuce wrapped grilled Asian torpedo pork meatballs. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

How nice to have that in your European back yard.  Very jealous! 

Me likey pork. What time is dinner?

Tomorrow is Lettuce wrapped grilled Asian torpedo pork meatballs. 

Your proximity point hit home with me. 

It was only when I travelled to the US and Oz that I realise how much for granted we have taken the proximity to Europe for granted. And every city in Europe did feel very different.  It was proper travel. 

It seems strange now but when playing records I use to travel to Paris for Saturday nights at the Locomotiv arriving late in the afternoon and getting first flight back on Sunday morning having been away for less than 24 hours. I had a Friday and a Sunday gig.  I once took my whole family and their partners to Amsterdam for a rijstaffel and to buy some cumin gouda.

We regularly traveled to Nice on the first flight out and taxi straight to the Negresco and dump the luggage with the concierge and have a wonderful fixed price lunch.  My wife then discovered she actually did like cheese having always hated it.  All of the best Michelin  Paris restaurants have expensive but more affordable lunches and we’d arrange five day trips around lunches.   There were many times when we were traveling to different places under the tax-saving pretext of business several times a month.  And understanding the miles issue we travelled inexpensively compared to today.

The pork is beckoning for some more steam so please excuse me …

😄

Jeff

Edited to add a resting porky ….

IMG_5983.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Mmmmm, yum, sounds delish.

After having the most perfect butter poached Cod in Stockholm a few weeks ago I made  my first attempt last night.  I used a Beurre Blanc with fresh chives and thyme. Sided with a spinach  strawberry salad and crispy potatoes. Plates were cleaned.

Yum! Just add some capers (salt-packed, not in vinegar) to the butter, and I'd be licking that plate clean.

• Like 4

Good afternoon Coolers,

Yesterday I mentioned how I’ll always think of John Peel when enjoying Glasto. Mr Ravenscroft made Glasto and so many acts. He was one of a kind. Even when extinguishing  the burning head of Crazy World Of Arthur Brown!

Today the queen of Glasto - Jo Whiley - oddly coincidentally to my yesterday post of the Peel influence and legacy on Glasto and how a stage was named in honour of him.  The article expresses how she feels pretty angry about how it was removed wrongly by the latest Eavis.  It was pretty hurtful to Jo as well.  

It’s lovely background about Glasto generally to those interested.

I’ve shared her article in todays Times for those interested in such trivia.  It’s positively mostly about the joy of Glasto but mentions Peel as well and his influence on her particularly with respect to cider and children 🙂

Some might be interested. 

Jeff

Jo Whiley: It’s fantastic being on stage, not apologising for the age I am.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/329d04e2-b1fe-4a2f-9310-aeae87e75964

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2

Tour de France, Eurocup......and Wimbledon soon.....impossible to get off the couch....and after all that, Paris 2024!!!!

Winther is doing well so far, 26C.....blue sky, sunny days.....

My trip to US next september is planned and arranged: Seattle (with already bought tickest to see Seahawks) and Portland. Rio-ATL (overnight in ATL) ATL-Sea (4 free days). Sea to Portland by car. Portland (7 days - 4 for conference, 3 free days). Portland-ATL (overnight in ATL) and ATL - Rio.

Untill there, every other week in Sao Paulo. No cruise planned so far.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lirio said:

Tour de France, Eurocup......and Wimbledon soon.....impossible to get off the couch....and after all that, Paris 2024!!!!

Winther is doing well so far, 26C.....blue sky, sunny days.....

My trip to US next september is planned and arranged: Seattle (with already bought tickest to see Seahawks) and Portland. Rio-ATL (overnight in ATL) ATL-Sea (4 free days). Sea to Portland by car. Portland (7 days - 4 for conference, 3 free days). Portland-ATL (overnight in ATL) and ATL - Rio.

Untill there, every other week in Sao Paulo. No cruise planned so far.

Thee’s nothing wrong with the couch.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lirio said:

Untill then, every other week in Sao Paulo. No cruise planned so far.

1 minute ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

There’s nothing wrong with the couch.  🙂

You could use the non-cruise fare saving to buy a new couch!  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Hi friends, just stopping in to say hello. Having a good time, although it is taking me a bit to get used to everything....traveling with 6 other people is definitely a different experience. I have some photos that I will post later. The scenery in this region is magnificent.

And the altitude got me on the first day but doing much better now.

• Like 8

Good Morning Coolers,

First off today from Glasto is Seasick Steve, who seems a bit Landsick as well today …. I think his backing members look expensive and recognisable … 🙂

Apologies for all my Glasto posts to those it’s irrelevant to. Hope they aren’t too irritating.  :classic_sad:

Jeff

IMG_6158.png

IMG_6163.png

IMG_6162.png

IMG_6160.png

IMG_6161.png

• Like 2

Back to roast dinners - I don't understand why Yorkies seem to be put on every plate nowadays regardless of what meat is being served, particularly in pubs on Sundays. In my youth you had them only with beef, plus mustard or horseradish; lamb had mint sauce or redcurrant jelly; pork apple sauce and stuffing, and chic ken and turkey lots of things, stuffings, cranberry sauce, sausage and/or bacon rolls, especially at Christmas.  Well, I think I do understand why they do it at pubs, something cheap to help fill the plate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Back to roast dinners - I don't understand why Yorkies seem to be put on every plate nowadays regardless of what meat is being served, particularly in pubs on Sundays. In my youth you had them only with beef, plus mustard or horseradish; lamb had mint sauce or redcurrant jelly; pork apple sauce and stuffing, and chic ken and turkey lots of things, stuffings, cranberry sauce, sausage and/or bacon rolls, especially at Christmas.  Well, I think I do understand why they do it at pubs, something cheap to help fill the plate.

Rules to be broken and some would argue that the Yorkies aren’t for the benefit of the roast beef in any way but for the mopping up of the gravy and to add some different texture of hopefully fluffy crunch. If so then Yorkies qualify for any roast meat with a gravy. And Yorkies aren’t just for Sundays.  😄

In my case I’d intended to make some knodel/dumplings to finish off the Austrian vibe for  the wife but I decided to shrug and add the Yorkies to do the plate mopping job instead. And The Boss approved.

Jeff

I still think no Yorkies except with beef - the crispy bit is lots of roasties, and for mopping up some creamy mashed potato. Just my humble opinion. Plus of course on any plate a couple of veggies - obviously peas needs  to be one of them for certain people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I still think no Yorkies except with beef - the crispy bit is lots of roasties, and for mopping up some creamy mashed potato. Just my humble opinion. Plus of course on any plate a couple of veggies - obviously peas needs  to be one of them for certain people.

You could be right or you might be depriving yourself of more Yorkie opportunities for being so straight-laced.

😄

Jeff

Not  straightlaced Jeff, just what I would prefer the taste of.  Love Yorkies with beef, and also toad in the hole, and with onion gravy  I quite like breaking the rules as and when - not called Lola for nothing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Not  straightlaced Jeff, just what I would prefer the taste of.  Love Yorkies with beef, and also toad in the hole, and with onion gravy  I quite like breaking the rules as and when - not called Lola for nothing.

I know 🙂

Today, left-over cold thinly sliced pork with fries, picallili, ketchup and house white and Glasto. 

Jeff

IMG_6202.jpeg

• Like 2