Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

9 hours ago, Port Power said:

Because my World Cruise next year is with Regent Seven Seas, I occasionally look on the thread over there.  Nowhere nearly as interesting or interactive as Silversea!  I was immensely surprised to find that Regent’s cooking classes are charged!  About $89 so I was told.  I could hardly believe it.  Or that plenty of people pay for them!  The cooking classes sound the same as the S.A.L.T. Lab classes, with ingredients already cut up and measured.  I love going to S.A.L.T. Lab, and I certainly hope the RCI bean counters don’t read the RSSC thread. Can you imagine…….

One poster evidently thought I meant cooking demonstrations and lectured about the venue being a proper, dedicated interactive kitchen.  I didn’t bother responding, not needing to ruffle feathers.  That person obviously did not know that S.A.L.T. Lab is the same thing.

Imagine how many classes I can do on the 2027 Silver Dawn world cruise! 🍳

I was thinking about your post and it really is (in a way) pretty illuminating.  But even then at the same time I’m unable to make sense of it all.

If you wanted to pay and improve your kitchen skills, I would have thought the last place in the world to do this is in a kitchen on a cruise ship.  There’s the ingredient challenges for a start.  

If it is free, then it’s a sort of a diversion and activity to soak up some down dead time.  That’s rational. It’s free fun and possibly some learning. 

I’d spend the $89 per person and the time saved off of the ship in a place where fresh fish is served in a great place to the locals.  I think I’d remember that more than the on-board cooking classes.  Ships nearly ALWAYS stop in places where fish is good fresh and interesting.and you get to listen and join locals going about their lives. 

Enjoy that cruise and if I were you just smirk at the gullible and how easily they and their hard-earned cash are separated.

🙂

Jeff 

Good Afternoon Coolers from a lovely afternoon at balcony@seaside! 🙂

Today being Sunday I wanted to treat my boss to something appropriate, but being here and having the tablecloths it had to be Mediterranean’ish.  

So I decided on roasting the Welsh shoulder of lamb, with some waxy potatoes (cooked in chicken bouillon and then baked in herbs and olive oil) with some mixed rustic vegetables slow braised in herbs and oil (carrots, parsnips, buttersquash, onions …. ) and some simple baked onions in their skins with garlic, and some tomatoes and herbs and oil.  Can you beat the smell of fresh herbs? 

I had bought a lot of fresh herbs including, thyme, oregano, mint, parsley etc and so I simply chopped it all up and added it and sprinkled it everywhere.   I wanted it all tepid rather than Sunday lunch hot temperature and this was all left to it’s own devices and was all then plated.  I made an olive oil mint sauce for the lamb.

I thought I’d share the piccies. I only do rustic rather than elegant. It looks terrible but tasted nice. 

Jeff

IMG_6868.jpeg

IMG_6870.jpeg

IMG_6871.jpeg

IMG_6872.jpeg

IMG_6873.jpeg

IMG_6874.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 8

In 2019 we have the pleasure of attending a performance by Leioa Kantika Korala from Spain at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao.  They were an amazing group of young voices that reduced the audience to tears.

Leioa Kantika Korala was founded in 2000 at the Leioa Municipal Conservatory under the initiative of its conductor, Basilio Astúlez. Composed of 50 girls and boys aged between 11 and 20, all students of the conservatory, the prime objective is to foster within them a love of choral music and to expand their musical studies, covering the widest possible variety and breadth of styles and repertoire. Today’s choir is now a benchmark on the international choir scene thanks to its bold approach, meticulous staging and its commitment to commissioning and premiering new music written for children’s choirs by composers from all over the world.

Here is a link to one of their performances.....

• Like 6

Good Afternoon Coolers,

A man has to do what a man has to do.  😁

Rafael Gonzales! rolled in in Cuba 2004 and kept at 70%/70f and smoked today with some Armagnac on the balcony.  

No one was offended by the smoking of the previously mentioned cigar!

🙂

Have a great afternoon all.

Jeff

IMG_6876.jpeg

• Like 2

I found a side of beef for tonight's dinner!

20240818_155532.thumb.jpg.2d225bda29d8fd0f9fd9003eb103e515.jpg

A 4 pound boneless ribeye roast. I made a simple crust of fresh herbs, garlic, salt, and butter. Roasted slow and low while we did a long walk, just to rare. Served with sel gris de Guérande and a baked potato. 

Dora enjoyed a few scraps. Perhaps she enjoyed them a bit too much. I hope she doesn't attack me while I'm sleeping, looking for more. She is quite the carnivore! 

We didn't eat the whole roast. I saved the overcooked edges for lunch sandwiches later this week.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 10

we have at least one cooler denizen in Bermuda, let us know how things are @jollyjones

wish you were here, pink floyd, sang in reggae style, if you feel like some music, a good Tuscan red blend my companion tonight

my apologies if I've posted before, I just love this somehow

I'm so happy that you're all here

• Like 6

2 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

we have at least one cooler denizen in Bermuda, let us know how things are @jollyjones

wish you were here, pink floyd, sang in reggae style, if you feel like some music, a good Tuscan red blend my companion tonight

my apologies if I've posted before, I just love this somehow

I'm so happy that you're all here

Thank you @QueSeraSera !

• Like 1

Good Afternoon Coolers … from cucina@seaside where I’m preparing some lunch for The Boss.

Noticed this piccy in today’s Times!  Brit’s will know this … but for others we use to have police cars that were called panda cars.  

This is a REAL panda car.  🙂

Jeff

IMG_6887.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Que, I saw a post by Jolly and she is on a cruise so not sure she can give a first hand update.

Yes Lois, good memory!

I'm on the Shadow for 24 days specifically to avoid Bermuda weather in August - seems like a good decision.

I am waiting to hear from home if my house is undamaged but it should be OK, it was only a Cat 1 storm and I've been through a lot worse than that but you never know. I expect my power is still out though.

As far as I can tell, there were some trees downed and a little flooding but not much damage and no injuries or deaths. The causeway and the airport opened again yesterday and I expect it will be largely business as usual today.

The irony is that the Shadow is cruising down the St Lawrence toward Halifax NS, and the storm is coming up the Atlantic doing the same thing from the opposite direction. It'll have gone by long before we get to Halifax but I just hope the disturbed ocean settles down quickly.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon Coolers from cucina@seadide.  

We’d only planned to be here for a week or so and that was over three weeks ago so I guess that shruggery has won over silly over pre-planning.  

But The Boss misses my cooking in a proper kitchen - it feels so small here .. much much too small .. but it use to be bigger but I keep buying shiney things for cucina and there’s now too little work space … and I also really miss my daily log fires and the security of those flames and the perfect peace of living with a bit of decent buffer away from neighbours.  I’m a natural hermit.

So we plan to head back up the A303 on Wednesday’ish .. Helga willing.  I’m just pleased that the God of Mercedes gave her two batteries because with my luck we’d be marooned and having said that I now probably will be but for other unforeseen reasons.

Today, to make up for her food deprivations and sufferings ,  I ordered some fresh, live clams from just up the coast in Dorset that was delivered a few hours ago - and some more fresh herbs and stuff and made her  spaghetti vongole with tomato herb plumage and tarte flambee on the side. 

And … of course .. some more cremant. 

Some piccies for those of a piccy mood.

Have a great afternoon Coolers …. and remember.  Smile if you can.  It’s better than all the alternatives.  👍

Jeff

IMG_6904.jpeg

IMG_6902.jpeg

IMG_6896.jpeg

IMG_6894.jpeg

IMG_6885.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 6

Today our small community news source had two travel articles that were interesting.  The first relates to Wales where the wonderful @Daveywavey70 hangs his hat.

Getting down-to-earth in Wales, a rising sustainable-travel destination:

https://www.insideottawavalley.com/things-to-do/travel/getting-down-to-earth-in-wales-a-rising-sustainable-travel-destination/article_eca758f1-49ce-56c7-951c-e44f5ea8e352.html

The second refers to Switzerland where the lovely @Grand Duchess resides.

Star chefs lure travellers to some of Switzerland’s finest dining destinations, in tiny storybook towns:

https://www.insideottawavalley.com/things-to-do/travel/star-chefs-lure-travellers-to-some-of-switzerland-s-finest-dining-destinations-in-tiny-storybook/article_ed29cf8a-a5fb-5d97-86c9-03561227ab22.html

• Like 7

Appreciate the great food visuals, funny humor, etc.  Sorry, have not had as much recent time to drop by and post more.  

Did folks in the USA notice today that long-time TV show moderator Phil Donahue had passed away at age 88?

For my photo files, here from the late 1980’s when we were in New York City is my wife pictured with the talk show host after attending one of his tapings at 30 Rockefeller Center.  Plus, included is the ticket stub and his signed autograph!

image.thumb.jpeg.4534bd83b71517669bf4dfc833367710.jpeg

Phil Donahue started as a news reporter in Dayton, Ohio, and initially had his interview show syndicated just to a small number of midwest stations.   Then, things got bigger and bigger with his show, famous guests, lively discussions/debates.  He later was married to TV star Marlo Thomas, daughter of early TV comedy pioneer Danny Thomas.  

Rest in peace to Phil Donahue.   

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate the great food visuals, funny humor, etc.  Sorry, have not had as much recent time to drop by and post more.  

Did folks in the USA notice today that long-time TV show moderator Phil Donahue had passed away at age 88?

For my photo files, here from the late 1980’s when we were in New York City is my wife pictured with the talk show host after attending one of his tapings at 30 Rockefeller Center.  Plus, included is the ticket stub and his signed autograph!

image.thumb.jpeg.4534bd83b71517669bf4dfc833367710.jpeg

Phil Donahue started as a news reporter in Dayton, Ohio, and initially had his interview show syndicated just to a small number of midwest stations.   Then, things got bigger and bigger with his show, famous guests, lively discussions/debates.  He later was married to TV star Marlo Thomas, daughter of early TV comedy pioneer Danny Thomas.  

Rest in peace to Phil Donahue.   

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

So Sad Terry, he was huge in the UK late nights whilst I was a teen in the late 80s. 

Oh my word. 

Has anybody else wasted 3 minutes of their precious lives watching Willy Wonkas’ best workers parading around in bin bags or Granny’s net curtains before deciding that this series wasn’t for them? I’m not a one for un”reality” tv but I was bored and gave it a shot. It looks to me like a group of sulky spoilt teenagers have successfully ram-raided the recycling bins in their Range Rover Autobiographies from the wardrobe department of the Royal Opera House and made off with what they could. What has happened to our world? 

IMG_0239.jpeg

Edited by DavyWavey70
  • Haha 8