Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

59 minutes ago, drron29 said:

So our son has now narrowed down Rojaan's welsh ancestors. They come from Bleanau Ffestiniog. Apparently her great grandfathers house is still standing.

This came about because her DNA was closely matched to a 94 year old women in Brisbane who shares a fir bit of DNA with Rojaan and it is from Rojaan's mothers side. So at the end of the month we will probably meet our son in Brisbane and visit this new relative and pssibly her children.

Blaenau is 20 minutes from here! My Partners Nain was born and bred there. Rojaans ancestors were obviously involved with the slate mines as everybody in the town was. The town is in the centre of many open cast mines and only looks lovely when it snows. 

IMG_0253.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I think scones are in a separate category. I have tried them over the years but they are not for me.

We can agree to disagree.  However, there is also Australia’s damper.  Very similar to your “biscuit” in that it’s made with flour and water and cooked in a camp oven or on the hot coals.  A fluffy bread-like item that is also used to soak up the gravy.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, lincslady said:

That strikes home for me - I have lost my goblin, but still have all the hoarded stuff to get rid of.

Lola

Unfortunately,  I am the goblin here.  Downsizing was a real struggle!  😅

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Chaos here. 

Except for DR Spins who always says after we unpack a new purchase or gift, “… that’s a really nice box, couldn’t we use it for something???”

If you have a cat, problem solved.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

My late husband was a mechanical engineer.  I have an enormous collection of screws, bolts, enormous wrenches, pieces of plumbing, copper wire - you get the picture.  I hesitate throwing anything out since I know I will need it one day.  The sad thing is that I will probably forget that I have it and go out and buy a new one.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

My late husband was a mechanical engineer.  I have an enormous collection of screws, bolts, enormous wrenches, pieces of plumbing, copper wire - you get the picture.  I hesitate throwing anything out since I know I will need it one day.  The sad thing is that I will probably forget that I have it and go out and buy a new one.

Great above post, summary and challenge!!  Treasure VS. Trash?  Major marital task to negotiate and manage.  I come more from a "Keep it Simple" viewpoint.  My wife is now in the major, seasonal transition for putting away the "summer" decorations and move in the "fall" colors and "stuff".  

Too many "things" and Amazon makes it way too easy to see something pretty and interesting.  AND, sadly, order more and MORE!!??  Pretty, but needed or not?  And, now at this stage in life when downsizing should be the priority?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 57,282 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

My Mother's rule was pretty much if you're not using it at this moment I'm throwing it out. And she meant it; we were afraid to sit still for too long for fear that she'd throw us out too! So of course I overreacted in the opposite direction.

Chris's parents and grandparents were much more of the saving type, since they left their home country with what they could carry with them. So Chris is not a fan of clutter. Luckily we met each other!

Chris tolerates it for the most part and can help me figure out what I really shouldn't bother saving. She is also pretty good at organizing the stuff we have saved away. So it's not such a messy clutter; just organized excessiveness.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

So it's not such a messy clutter; just organized excessiveness.

Great spin!!!  Calling "messy clutter" as only "organized excessiveness".  That's a five-star, award winner.  Class.  Congrats!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Haha 2

My DH collected cardboard boxes from the supermarket.  There was some method in his madness, as he had a great many spare parts for his various car projects.  But he did get funny looks from the staff there.  At least I can get rid of those, with our cardboard and paper recycling bin.  As I don't have a cat or a toddler, that is where they are going. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We're into peak tomato/cucumber season, and have a nice supply of garlic & onions on hand, so it is time for gazpacho, one of my summer favorites.  The recipe calls for a lot of bread crumbs, and I was going to use panko, but having just made bread in the morning, used part of a loaf.  The recipe calls for making little balls of goat cheese, rolled around and crusted in finely chopped kalamata olives, which you garnish the bowl with.  This recipe is from "1080 Recipes", a wonderful compilation of Spanish cooking by a mother daughter team.

IMG_6743.jpeg

IMG_6744.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

We're into peak tomato/cucumber season, and have a nice supply of garlic & onions on hand, so it is time for gazpacho, one of my summer favorites.  The recipe calls for a lot of bread crumbs, and I was going to use panko, but having just made bread in the morning, used part of a loaf.  The recipe calls for making little balls of goat cheese, rolled around and crusted in finely chopped kalamata olives, which you garnish the bowl with.  This recipe is from "1080 Recipes", a wonderful compilation of Spanish cooking by a mother daughter team.

IMG_6743.jpeg

IMG_6744.jpeg

Love gazpacho!  And yours sounds divine!  

5 minutes ago, Elizabethbea said:

Maybe I am missing something but what has this got to do with Silversea cruising???

The Water Cooler thread is for any and all chit chat. It is a non specific thread.  

The relevance to Silversea is that most everyone here is a regular current or past Silversea cruiser, or even a future Silversea passenger.  Every now and then the subject of cruising does come up as one of us posts an interesting photo taken during their cruise, or mentions they have booked a SS cruise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, mysty said:

Unfortunately,  I am the goblin here.  Downsizing was a real struggle!  😅

US too !  We thought we would downsize this year,  but it has  been  put off to a date  unknown !!

• Like 4

Not Downsizing.  I suppose some people may have had really huge houses that are too big as empty nests, but we find our 3-bedroom house just fine.  Upstairs: master bedroom for us, second bedroom is home theater, third bedroom is DW's office and Murphy bed for guests; Basement: laundry room, play room [full disclosure: storage room]; and office for me (room for all the printers, scanners, file cabinets etc); Main floor has kitchen and dining room (both used constantly), the only room that rides along like a spare tire is the living room and we need that for parties.  If we downsized, what would we give up?  Nope, the plan is to add a chair lift if one of us can't do the stairs anymore, and Age In Place.  [The beauty of this plan is that our kids will have to get rid of all our stuff!  And it will be easy for them, because it isn't their stuff!!!]

• Like 8

9 hours ago, jpalbny said:

My Mother's rule was pretty much if you're not using it at this moment I'm throwing it out. And she meant it; we were afraid to sit still for too long for fear that she'd throw us out too! So of course I overreacted in the opposite direction.

Chris's parents and grandparents were much more of the saving type, since they left their home country with what they could carry with them. So Chris is not a fan of clutter. Luckily we met each other!

Chris tolerates it for the most part and can help me figure out what I really shouldn't bother saving. She is also pretty good at organizing the stuff we have saved away. So it's not such a messy clutter; just organized excessiveness.

Now that makes me feel so much better, love the term of organized excessiveness. Unfortunately we were both goblins. Got rid of quite a lot when moving house, but now am in my in-laws much smaller house, where there is still masses of their stuff on top of the things I felt I couldn't let go. It will take a few months to get it under control and is only possible with the support of a few non-goblins, their raised eyebrows and eye-rolling at another pretty box etc.usually works🤣

• Like 6