Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

I know - but it is fine when I am on my own.  Would make an effort if I had visitors for lunch of course.  Mysty's pasta sauce sounds lovely, and  I will have a go at that next time I am doing my 'menus' for the week and ordering the groceries.

• Like 1

For those American "football" fans, tonight and this weekend will be a "BIGGIE"!!  The original "professional" NFL starts tonight in Kansas City.   Then, more on Friday night from Brazil and a wide range of games on Sunday, etc.  

For the colleges, this weekend's major game is Texas visiting Michigan in the "Big House" with 110,000 fans filling this massive stadium.   Below are graphics for what is upcoming that many fans here in the USA enjoy so much.  Good luck to Lois and the other football fans here at the Cooler.  In additional Oregon, Florida State, what other teams are closely followed by the regular here on this CC SS Board?    

image.thumb.png.699b1b5b48d1c2bb76fc198c9b6d329d.png

image.thumb.png.56f77dce36ab33a45c85868f6c093e3c.png

For us in Central Ohio, our Ohio State is now ranked #2 nationally right behind the top-rated Georgia Bulldogs.  Any Notre Dame, Penn State, Old Miss, Alabama, Missouri, Kansas, etc., fans out there?  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

PS: For tonight's NFL Kick-Off in Kansas City, here is a just-posted headline: "Taylor Swift attending boyfriend Travis Kelce’s Chiefs opener to kick off 2024 NFL season".  Just updating breaking news.  

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

Edited by TLCOhio

Hi Terry, we are off on Saturday so at least there is that........can take a break from watching our awful team.

Looking forward to the NFL tonight😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

For those American "football" fans, tonight and this weekend will be a "BIGGIE"!!  The original "professional" NFL starts tonight in Kansas City.   Then, more on Friday night from Brazil and a wide range of games on Sunday, etc.  

For the colleges, this weekend's major game is Texas visiting Michigan in the "Big House" with 110,000 fans filling this massive stadium.   Below are graphics for what is upcoming that many fans here in the USA enjoy so much.  Good luck to Lois and the other football fans here at the Cooler.  In additional Oregon, Florida State, what other teams are closely followed by the regular here on this CC SS Board?    

image.thumb.png.699b1b5b48d1c2bb76fc198c9b6d329d.png

image.thumb.png.56f77dce36ab33a45c85868f6c093e3c.png

For us in Central Ohio, our Ohio State is now ranked #2 nationally right behind the top-rated Georgia Bulldogs.  Any Notre Dame, Penn State, Old Miss, Alabama, Missouri, Kansas, etc., fans out there?  

PS: For tonight's NFL Kick-Off in Kansas City, here is a just-posted headline: "Taylor Swift attending boyfriend Travis Kelce’s Chiefs opener to kick off 2024 NFL season".  Just updating breaking news.  

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

just when there is an NFL game in Brazil, I will be in US.....

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, lincslady said:

I know - but it is fine when I am on my own.  Would make an effort if I had visitors for lunch of course.  Mysty's pasta sauce sounds lovely, and  I will have a go at that next time I am doing my 'menus' for the week and ordering the groceries.

I was only teasing Lola, there’s nowt wrong with cheese on toast. One of my favourite suppers when I’m not on the Keto. I Sometimes live dangerously and have 2 slices. 1 with L&P and one with HP. I’m proper Rock n roll me 🥳

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

@jpalbny 

I desperately need your advice. How much is your fee rate to help in travelling light?

Every time I say: this time I will trave light. And guess what?

And now I cant say that are gifts to my daughter…….

I hate the words "in case of".......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lirio said:

@jpalbny 

I desperately need your advice. How much is your fee rate to help in travelling light?

On a river cruise in France a few years back I caught a bad cold.  Hadn't brought any cold remedies because even as a heavy packer there are things you just can't "in case of" prepare for.  But we couldn't find any of the cold remedies I use in the US in France – a pharmacist sold me some pills that a quick internet search showed are given to Cystic Fibrosis patients [and you should see the warnings!]  That ratified for me that there is no such thing as overpacking!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

On a river cruise in France a few years back I caught a bad cold.  Hadn't brought any cold remedies because even as a heavy packer there are things you just can't "in case of" prepare for.  But we couldn't find any of the cold remedies I use in the US in France – a pharmacist sold me some pills that a quick internet search showed are given to Cystic Fibrosis patients [and you should see the warnings!]  That ratified for me that there is no such thing as overpacking!

Try catching  a virus in Egypt one time HostJB, highly recommended.  The Drugs are a bit free and easy out there. One of our shipmates on a Nile Cruise was a little surprised on the dance floor on Egyptian night when a green triangle suddenly appeared down the back of her galabiyas whilst she was trying to pick up a balloon between her cheeks. She never left her cabin again. The bar staff were obviously well accustomed to such incidents as within seconds they had mopped it all away and the jollities continued. 

4 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Try catching  a virus in Egypt one time HostJB

Thanks for the thought, Davy, but I think I'll pass [and not the way the guest on your cruise did 🤣]

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks for the thought, Davy, but I think I'll pass [and not the way the guest on your cruise did 🤣]

I For one was referred to the Liverpool school of tropical Medicine after that cruise. I’d like to say it’s the easiest 3 stone I’ve ever lost but really it wasn’t. 

9 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Notre Dame fans here! Such a tense game last Saturday but the Irish prevailed. We will be traveling to South Bend, Indiana for the Notre Dame/Louisville game on September 28. Then we will explore Lake Erie and the Ohio Amish country for a week before wrapping it up in Columbus for our first ever Ohio State University game! It should be an enjoyable week all the way around. Go Irish!

12 minutes ago, TakingFlight said:

Notre Dame fans here! Such a tense game last Saturday but the Irish prevailed. We will be traveling to South Bend, Indiana for the Notre Dame/Louisville game on September 28. Then we will explore Lake Erie and the Ohio Amish country for a week before wrapping it up in Columbus for our first ever Ohio State University game! It should be an enjoyable week all the way around. Go Irish!

Which language are you speaking?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I find this aspect quite a large part of the fun, actually.  As well as educational.  Though I don't think I will ever understand anything about American football - don't even understand English football.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

Though I don't think I will ever understand anything about American football - don't even understand English football.

I understand it but don't watch it other than once a year. And lately, the commercials have been lousy so it's hardly worth the time!

8 hours ago, Lirio said:

@jpalbny 

Lirio - you have to start gradually. We used to overpack "in case of" every contingency. It has taken years to learn that we can pack less, and now we have fine-tuned our approach.

The keys for us are to minimize the number of shoes that we bring. They take up a lot of room in the suitcase. The second tip is to make sure that your clothes can mix and match with each other. The third tip is free laundry! Without that, it's much more challenging.

I also worry much less about forgetting something, because I know that I can always buy it if I desperately need it. Unless I'm in the middle of the Okavango Delta or someplace like that, there are plenty of stores to choose from. When I'm traveling in a developed country, I don't worry at all about forgetting something. I just double-check my passport before we leave.

You're coming to the USA where there is a strip mall every few miles, so you don't have to worry. And if you don't find what you need in a store, there is always Amazon!

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

a pharmacist sold me some pills that a quick internet search showed are given to Cystic Fibrosis patients [and you should see the warnings!]  That ratified for me that there is no such thing as overpacking!

Any idea what they were? I've always had good luck with pharmacies in Europe or other countries which I've visited. My curiosity is piqued!

I have my travel kit packed and ready to go at all times. It never leaves my backpack unless I'm refilling it. But as you say, you can't cover all possibilities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TakingFlight said:

To our above travel friend from along the scenic California coast, welcome to the Midwest!  Have been in Notre Dame Stadium three times for games there and it is a great campus and game-day environment.  Agree that the ND win at Texas A&M was super exciting. 

Wonderful that you will be exploring Lake Erie, Amish County and finishing in Central Ohio for an OSU game.  Let me know if I can be of help for tips, creative ideas, etc., in visiting any and all of these Ohio locations.  I grew up right near Ohio Amish territory and below are a few of my pictures from there to help build excitement for that part of your adventure.  Need more?  Or, added ideas for options in Columbus?  Will you be in Ohio Stadium on Oct. 5 for the game versus Iowa?  Should be a good battle!!

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 253,714 views.
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

Here are just a couple of sites and sights from traveling around in Ohio's Amish County.  Many shops, crafts, etc., to explore and enjoy!:
(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

DSC_4068.thumb.jpeg.e71cf12248653023348d262f81d5169a.jpeg

DSC_4069.thumb.jpeg.ec618dd1f2e61b9800fc5cd58e2d3c4c.jpeg

Yes, lots of tasty, good "down-home" food options in Ohio's Amish Country.:

DSC_4035.thumb.jpeg.3ab994bde93ccf373d4147a5bea220df.jpeg

• Like 2

Terry, I know little about the Amish people, but would be most interested to know if they are able to keep to their chosen way of life in today's America, or if some of the younger ones leave to have a more modern (if more chancy) existence in the bright lights.  They must really stand out as different to the average citizen, I would imagine.

5 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Terry, I know little about the Amish people, but would be most interested to know if they are able to keep to their chosen way of life in today's America, or if some of the younger ones leave to have a more modern (if more chancy) existence in the bright lights.  They must really stand out as different to the average citizen, I would imagine.

The quick answer to your above excellent questions are . . . Yes and Yes!!  Over the decades, I have known and worked with a wide variety of people well-connected in the Amish Country.  They have made a large number of custom furniture items for us, etc., that we love in our home and my office.  

Many or most are still very "traditional".  But, the Amish, in general, are very well read, creative, hard-working and super smart.  They do not get electric or telephone by wire from "the grid".  BUT, they have fuel-power generators that produced air pressure to do the cutting, sanding, finishing, etc., for their excellent wood products, as one example.  They use cell phones, off of the grid, etc.  So in many ways, they mix traditional activities, but keep it "Amish" by working within and around the rules to be as another religion calls it "Kosher".  Amazing to watch and know that they are so quality-driven, work-ethic focused, adaptive, avoiding certain "distractions" that we enjoy and with which we waste our time.  

As they have become so successful, many younger have had to move farther away in order to have their agriculture operations, buy land at affordable prices, etc.  They mix well BOTH traditional and adapting to the outside world.  Yes, some younger want to "sow their wild oats", but they generally, mostly come back to the family traditions.  Fascinating, highly-productive culture and families.  

Does this help?

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 252,793 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thanks, Terry, that is good to hear.  I looked up on Google about them, and did think the furniture looked really lovely, and can see that they are very resourceful people.  It is nice to know  that they are still flourishing.

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Wonderful that you will be exploring Lake Erie, Amish County and finishing in Central Ohio for an OSU game.  Let me know if I can be of help for tips, creative ideas, etc., in visiting any and all of these Ohio locations.  I grew up right near Ohio Amish territory and below are a few of my pictures from there to help build excitement for that part of your adventure.  Need more?  Or, added ideas for options in Columbus?  Will you be in Ohio Stadium on Oct. 5 for the game versus Iowa?  Should be a good battle!!

@TLCOhio Yes, we will be attending the Ohio State vs. Iowa game on the 5th. It will be fun to observe the long-time rivalry between these two teams. Thank you for your offer of help for our road trip. We don't have much time in any particular spot but I would appreciate any ideas for breakfast or lunch in the Amish country. We'll be staying in Millersburg but only for one night. Then it will be on to Columbus for the game.

11 hours ago, jpalbny said:

I also worry much less about forgetting something, because I know that I can always buy it if I desperately need it. Unless I'm in the middle of the Okavango Delta or someplace like that, there are plenty of stores to choose from. When I'm traveling in a developed country, I don't worry at all about forgetting something. I just double-check my passport before we leave.

We are currently watching a series called Big Cats 24/7 filmed in the Okavango Delta! We hadn’t heard of it until we started watching it and now you refer to it! If you’re interested and can access it, it’s a BBC production. 

Edited by Lady Meer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Lady Meer said:

We are currently watching a series called Big Cats 24/7 filmed in the Okavango Delta! We hadn’t heard of it until we started watching it and now you refer to it! If you’re interested and can access it, it’s a BBC production. 

That's a great coincidence! We were there last November and it's my favorite safari to date. The lodges, and the lack of crowds, were like no other place we've visited (yet). Highly recommended. Someday I will get my pictures sorted...

• Like 2