Why do you choose your dining time?

BENHANDEL

I prefer early dinning... Only because I can make it to the 8 o'clock events or shows. It's hard to make it to any events when you do the late dinning. You will be finishing dinner around 10. Carnival has been down sizing their lounges and venues to make more room for more cabins. So it makes it difficult to even get to the 10 or 10:30 shows/events because it gets packed fast.

This is a very subjective question. We choose early dinning every cruise, because we feel late seating is too late. As for which is better I do not believe there is one as far as ship schedules go. For instants, the big production shows they have are done twice a night an early show (for late dinners), and a late show (for early dinners). As for missing things because of your dinning preference your going to miss something no matter which one you choose. So its all about personal preference which is why the question is subjective. YTD well we hate waiting.

I was on the magic a couple months ago and the early big production show started around 7:30pm to 8 pm with each show lasting 45 mins to an hour. That definitely wont work for late dinning since late dinning is 8:00 pm.

We choose Your Time Dining because we don't eat in the MDR. It takes too long, and that's far too much food for us that late in the day. We have flexible schedules at home and tend to eat our "dinner" at lunchtime and a small meal early evening. I really, really wish Carnival would have a "No Dining" option.

I always travel with a group Choosing a dining time is much easier since we don't have to work around individual preferences. Since we are many we don't have to worry about sitting with strangers. Early or late don't care which the group decides on.

I choose late because I like taking a nap before dinner and I don't have to rush back from port to get ready.

EXACTLY!!! I call it POWER-Napping. :cool:

The best part of the day is the late afternoon on the Lido. Watching all those people dressed up for Dinner when we've barely gotten back on the ship and its still day time--not I. Just need a little bit of time to recover. If I can get in an hour nap and I can go all night after Dinner

I prefer early seating, just my choice. Late dining is too late for me and traveling solo, ATD just doesn't interest me. on my upcoming cruise I originall had ATD, but immediately changed my preference to Early and was able to get confirmed at that time. But isn't it great there are 3 choices that meets almost everyone's needs and desires?

I prefer late dining. I like not having to rush to get ready, especially on later port days. But I also like having the same wait staff, table mates, and table. After the first night, I don't have to wait in a line because my table is in the same place.

I do grab a snack or something in the late afternoon to tide me over until dinner.

Early with a request for a table for 2 is the only way I go. I like to eat dinner no later than 6 at home, 8 is way too late. The vast majority of ports have us back on the ship well before 5. The "stress" about rushing to make dinner is way overblown. If there's a late port, I'll do something else. Otherwise, I'm ready in 10 minutes. I've always enjoyed my wait staff, and they already know my preferences. There is no wait for my table. We are out a lot quicker to make the evening events. There is nothing better I would be doing around 5-7 otherwise. By that time, I'm all relaxed and sunned out. It's time to enjoy the night.

I would prefer early or YTD, but on both of my cruises including my upcoming one in October it will be late dining as that's what the group I'm traveling with does. But that's ok. Some nights I just do my own thing and get food in the buffet, other nights I join the group for dinner (including formal night and the last night of the cruise definitely). And I pretty much always meetup with at least some of the group after dinner at some bar or the dance club. So while I would prefer the option to dine earlier it's not a big deal.

I prefer early dinning... Only because I can make it to the 8 o'clock events or shows. It's hard to make it to any events when you do the late dinning. You will be finishing dinner around 10. Carnival has been down sizing their lounges and venues to make more room for more cabins. So it makes it difficult to even get to the 10 or 10:30 shows/events because it gets packed fast.
If you have late dining @ 815, you go to the first show @ 730. The 930 show is for those that have early dinner. This is how they are doing it on the Horizon.

?????? I booked with Carnival almost two years before our scheduled Cruise. The online reservation my shows early dining. Is this something I could call them back about, to request that our family is seated just together?? It's not that I don't like other people, but I see the Cruise dinner time as precious time with my kids who are getting older. I expect that they'll be doing their own thing during the day and I wants an excuse for us to reconnect every day.
Do a search on the boards to get the proper email address and send an email to the Maitre D on the Horizon and request that you would like a 6 top for your family of five instead of having to share a larger table with strangers.

A few times that we had YTD, we went and received a buzzer, and it seemed to much like a land vacation of going to a restaurant and waiting. That's what bars are for, to enjoy a beverage of your choice while you wait for your table.

Late dining give us time to get back from port, relax awhile if need be, get showered and change and not feel rushed. Plus we can still catch the late shows.

Not any more. With late seating @ 815, you need to go to the 730 show because the late show is now @ 930 and those from early seating will be there ahead of you.

I was on the magic a couple months ago and the early big production show started around 7:30pm to 8 pm with each show lasting 45 mins to an hour. That definitely wont work for late dinning since late dinning is 8:00 pm.
On the Horizon, the shows are at 730 for those that have late 815 dinner and at 930 for those that have early 600 dinner. The production shows are 45 minutes in length so if you go to the 730 show, you immediately go to 815 dinner. If you have 600 dinner, you could even make the 530 PG comedy and the 830 R comedy.

We always do early. We eat early at home plus we would rather be able to spend as much of the night without needing to stop for dinner. But since I see a lot on here saying they choose YTD. I have a question. I always hear that way we can eat when we want to. But and correct me if I am wrong. But you only eat close to when you want. Cause like a on land resturant, if you want if you want to eat at say 6:45. And there are no tables available at 6:45 the you my be eating at 6:00 or 6:30 or 7:45, depending on when they have a free table.

If it is just me and my wife we just leave whatever is assigned and don't eat in the MDR. If we are cruising with friends or family everyone will choose YTD so we can all go on a time we agree on. For us it will always be an early time since we both practice intermittent fasting so we only eat between the hours of 11am and 7pm.

With 5 people, will we be seated with strangers? And if so, will it be a family "like" ours? (I thought they did this on DCL, but we traveled with another family so it was a non-issue).

You request a table for just your family style with ATD. With set dinner time, you may end up with other people—something I totally dislike!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always do early. We eat early at home plus we would rather be able to spend as much of the night without needing to stop for dinner. But since I see a lot on here saying they choose YTD. I have a question. I always hear that way we can eat when we want to. But and correct me if I am wrong. But you only eat close to when you want. Cause like a on land resturant, if you want if you want to eat at say 6:45. And there are no tables available at 6:45 the you my be eating at 6:00 or 6:30 or 7:45, depending on when they have a free table.

You don't reserve a time with YTD. You show up at the time you wish to eat & yes, there could be a wait, but we've never waited more than 25-30 minutes & that was on Magic on formal night with a party of 6. All other nights, we never waited more than 5 minutes & several nights did not wait at all. The one time the wait was long, we sat on comfy couches in the lobby & enjoyed a cocktail & conversation.

Love seeing everyone's posts! My reasons are like so many others. :). We always choose a fixed seating due to my husband's allergy to strawberries (easy allergy to deal with except that it's used in so many garnishes); it's easier for us not to explain every night to a new waitstaff (or to have to request the same waitstaff), plus I love having a waitstaff that anticipates us by bringing coffee after the entree without my asking, or the bar server having a drink ready for hubby. :). Usually we choose late seating so that we don't have to rush back from port, and we love taking photos (the sillier the better) before dinner. It just works for us. :). (We did do early seating on our most recent cruise with RC because my nieces were with us. I wouldn't mind doing it again but definitely preferred late.)

One of the things I love about cruising is there is something for everyone! YTD/ ATD for those who love that flexibility, Early seating for those who enjoy that, and Late seating for those who prefer that.

We prefer your time dining. Especially on vacation, I don't want to be tied down to a dining time.

Plus, I am in a profession where I talk to people all day long. On vacation, I just want to eat with my family and not make chit chat with tablemates.

Me too!

We choose late dining. We tend to eat late at home and with the time chmage from west to east coast, that feels better to us. We've also found we like a late afternoon nap and not feeling rushed to get somewhere. We have time afterward for the type of shows we like (theater, comedy club) so it works well for us.

Love seeing everyone's posts! My reasons are like so many others. :). We always choose a fixed seating due to my husband's allergy to strawberries (easy allergy to deal with except that it's used in so many garnishes); it's easier for us not to explain every night to a new waitstaff (or to have to request the same waitstaff), plus I love having a waitstaff that anticipates us by bringing coffee after the entree without my asking, or the bar server having a drink ready for hubby. :). Usually we choose late seating so that we don't have to rush back from port, and we love taking photos (the sillier the better) before dinner. It just works for us. :). (We did do early seating on our most recent cruise with RC because my nieces were with us. I wouldn't mind doing it again but definitely preferred late.)

One of the things I love about cruising is there is something for everyone! YTD/ ATD for those who love that flexibility, Early seating for those who enjoy that, and Late seating for those who prefer that.

We ALWAYS do Anytime dining and have no problems telling all the waiters we do not eat meat. They bring us a menu and we order what we want. Why do you even have to explain anything to them? If they come around suggesting a certain meal, and it is a meat dish, we just say, 'sorry we don't eat meat' and that ends it.

The last time anyone told me when I had to eat, was when I was in the service 50 some odd years ago. Since then, I eat when I want. You should try it once and see how it goes.

Cheers

Len