Compulsive cruise prep

My very first cruise, I spent a lot time in the cabin sick w/ a nasty respiratory bug that I acquired day 1 of cruise. Post cruise, I read this tip about cleaning the cabin as soon as you arrive. Now, I always pack a pair or two of disposable gloves, disinfectant wipes and a small bottle of rubbing alcohol mixed w/water. When I get into the cabin, I wipe down the toilet, sinks, shower controls, door handles, drawer pulls, ALL smooth surfaces, phone and remote control just to be on the safe side. Call me nutty but so far it has worked for us 15 cruises later. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

I agree with you 100% and I do this as well - but just with the wipes. Do you use the alcohol because the wipes are not effective enough? I will add alcohol to my list. I know the stewards do a decent job cleaning - but I'm convinced - like you - toilet levers, drawer pulls, remote controls, lamp and wall switches and anything you can touch do not get disinfected properly.

I also never walk in bare feet in the cabin - either socks or flip flops. In recent years I do this in hotels as well. I know its a bit OCD, but I don't want to be sick on vacation!

Okay seriously, it is 1:00 am and it’s the second night that I have been up for hours working on the TripIt itinerary (since the early work had to be revised since the newest dailies differ from the first one I used :( ). But I had that head exploding thing happen to me last Wednesday - the OMG it’s almost two weeks and one of those weekend won’t count because we are leaving then! And since I have done two of those store runs (where you don’t need clothes, God knows you don’t, but they are having those end of the season sales and .... well, maybe you might need something... ;p ).

Oh FYI obsessively preparing peeps - do not try for emoticons in TripIt - was super cute and helpful and then I guess it wigged out and removed any title or text with one in it. Not much run redoing them all over again. Anyone else 1-2 weeks out?! :eek:

Lynn - members of CCPA :cool:

Okay seriously, it is 1:00 am and it’s the second night that I have been up for hours working on the TripIt itinerary (since the early work had to be revised since the newest dailies differ from the first one I used :( ). But I had that head exploding thing happen to me last Wednesday - the OMG it’s almost two weeks and one of those weekend won’t count because we are leaving then! And since I have done two of those store runs (where you don’t need clothes, God knows you don’t, but they are having those end of the season sales and .... well, maybe you might need something... ;p ).

Oh FYI obsessively preparing peeps - do not try for emoticons in TripIt - was super cute and helpful and then I guess it wigged out and removed any title or text with one in it. Not much run redoing them all over again. Anyone else 1-2 weeks out?! :eek:

Lynn - members of CCPA :cool:

I am 15 days out and going crazy with the planning and packing! My dh tells me we should take a vacation before the cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My very first cruise, I spent a lot time in the cabin sick w/ a nasty respiratory bug that I acquired day 1 of cruise. Post cruise, I read this tip about cleaning the cabin as soon as you arrive. Now, I always pack a pair or two of disposable gloves, disinfectant wipes and a small bottle of rubbing alcohol mixed w/water. When I get into the cabin, I wipe down the toilet, sinks, shower controls, door handles, drawer pulls, ALL smooth surfaces, phone and remote control just to be on the safe side. Call me nutty but so far it has worked for us 15 cruises later. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

We do this, but just the antiseptic wipes. We also wipe down the smooth surfaces on an airplane-buttons, seatbelt latch, tray table.....

I'm sad that my cruise is over, but I do have a new one to plan for!

The planner in me grudgingly has to admit that the very BEST experience of our Alaska trip was a spur of the moment, unresearched jump into the unknown. At lunch, the day before our arrival in Skagway with nothing on the agenda DH and I are looking at the excursion flyer and I point out a helicopter glacier trip. Now I know DH hates heights and flying but he says "if you want to, we'll go." Just then, Bruno the concierge stops by our table, so I ask him about booking. He says it's booked up but will put us on the wait list. DH does a mental fist pump! Ha ha, we get back to our stateroom a couple of hours later, we had tickets waiting.

This was an experience of a lifetime for me. Overwhelmingly beautiful and amazing, both the flight and walking on a glacier in perfect weather. 20180919_131903.thumb.jpg.469d4f9398569dce1ff5c1f72b3fd8a4.jpg

The planner in me grudgingly has to admit that the very BEST experience of our Alaska trip was a spur of the moment, unresearched jump into the unknown. At lunch, the day before our arrival in Skagway with nothing on the agenda DH and I are looking at the excursion flyer and I point out a helicopter glacier trip. Now I know DH hates heights and flying but he says "if you want to, we'll go." Just then, Bruno the concierge stops by our table, so I ask him about booking. He says it's booked up but will put us on the wait list. DH does a mental fist pump! Ha ha, we get back to our stateroom a couple of hours later, we had tickets waiting.

This was an experience of a lifetime for me. Overwhelmingly beautiful and amazing, both the flight and walking on a glacier in perfect weather. [ATTACH]429568[/ATTACH]

Beautiful! Looks like Hubby survived! Sometimes last minute choices are very rewarding!

This was an experience of a lifetime for me. Overwhelmingly beautiful and amazing, both the flight and walking on a glacier in perfect weather. [ATTACH]429568[/ATTACH]

So glad you had a great time!! our Alaska cruise in June, coupled with an additional five days in the Vancouver area, was probably the best vacation of all our lives! Now you have all those great memories and imagining where you might go next :cool:

Lynn

• 3 weeks later...

Admittedly, it was a slow week without the compulsive tribe!!

I did come up with another point of planning.  If you are over 50 (or 60 or...), it may be a good idea to stop (or seriously curtail) any sort of adventurous yard work, physical competition, etc for the week or so prior to a cruise!   If you fall, throw out your back, or  injure yourself doing something (ahem) STUPID, and you cannot go on your trip, all that other planning is for naught.

I had a close call with a fall, doing yard work (don't even ask).   Suffice it to say that we were compulsively trying to get the yard in order before we leave on our trip. 

Fortunately, no damage... but I was worried for a few hours there.  

15 minutes ago, BigNance said:

I did come up with another point of planning.  If you are over 50 (or 60 or...), it may be a good idea to stop (or seriously curtail) any sort of adventurous yard work, physical competition, etc for the week or so prior to a cruise!   If you fall, throw out your back, or  injure yourself doing something (ahem) STUPID, and you cannot go on your trip, all that other planning is for naught.

I had a close call with a fall, doing yard work (don't even ask).   Suffice it to say that we were compulsively trying to get the yard in order before we leave on our trip. 

Fortunately, no damage... but I was worried for a few hours there.  

Eek! I'm in that demographic, and sad to say, I can hurt myself sleeping these days! I wake up and wonder "what the heck?" And my house is single story, with ONE step down into the garage or off the back deck and I've managed to hurt myself (mildly) tripping up or down both of them. 

Not much going in the compulsive prep zone for me, still 463 days until my next cruise. (I suppose it is compulsive to KNOW that number, however.) I have taken to stalking the Australia/NZ cruisers board to glean information on things to see and do from the "natives."

4 hours ago, BigNance said:

Point taken. I'm leaving on Friday for a cruise that embarks on Saturday, and I was extra careful cleaning out the garage today. Within the past year I've broken one arm and dislocated the other shoulder (I went on a cruise about a week after dislocating the shoulder, with permission of an orthopedic surgeon).

I love this thread! I have found my tribe!!! I am a significant planner as it's actually my job to plan events. 🙂 Because I travel all the time for work (34 trips this year so far) I have baskets in my closet for my next four trips and drop things into them as I think about it. My Cruise basket is already out of control and we don't sail until 12/21 on the Escape. Can any of you over planners tell me about the ID cards. Do you carry them in a lanyard? In a plastic sleeve or do they have a hole for a clip? If in a sleeve do you have to take them out to open doors / charge items?  Thanks in advance!   

13 minutes ago, StormiB said:

I love this thread! I have found my tribe!!! I am a significant planner as it's actually my job to plan events. 🙂 Because I travel all the time for work (34 trips this year so far) I have baskets in my closet for my next four trips and drop things into them as I think about it. My Cruise basket is already out of control and we don't sail until 12/21 on the Escape. Can any of you over planners tell me about the ID cards. Do you carry them in a lanyard? In a plastic sleeve or do they have a hole for a clip? If in a sleeve do you have to take them out to open doors / charge items?  Thanks in advance!   

I use a lanyard with a plastic sleeve. I just take my card out of the pouch to open the room door, charge something or swipe on and off the ship. 

I think you can get a hole punched, but as far as I can tell, you'd still have to unclip it for use, so I don't see the plus side to that. 

Edited by Shellbelle28
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Shellbelle28 said:

I use a lanyard with a plastic sleeve. I just take it out to open the room door, charge something or swipe on and off the ship. 

I think you can get a hole punched, but as far as I can tell, you'd still have to unclip it for use, so I don't see the plus side to that. 

Great point! 

9 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

I use a lanyard with a plastic sleeve. I just take my card out of the pouch to open the room door, charge something or swipe on and off the ship. 

We have guest services punch a hole in ours.  you don't have to take it off the clip.  Just hold out your id and they scan it.  Either way is simple.  Instead of the neck lanyard we use the kind that clip onto a belt loop and retract.  I like those because then you don't have something hanging in your way.  

1 minute ago, sprint180 said:

We have guest services punch a hole in ours.  you don't have to take it off the clip.  Just hold out your id and they scan it.  Either way is simple.  Instead of the neck lanyard we use the kind that clip onto a belt loop and retract.  I like those because then you don't have something hanging in your way.  

The belt clip is a good idea. My lanyard's hardware made a mess of one of my knit tops, it's got a swath of teeny snags across the chest. :classic_angry: 

2 minutes ago, Shellbelle28 said:

The belt clip is a good idea. My lanyard's hardware made a mess of one of my knit tops, it's got a swath of teeny snags across the chest. :classic_angry: 

They work great.  Mine don't have the clip on the back but that could be handy.

image.png.7e8a5c531b4ce57923c3b185af89b111.png

Sorry, I've been cruising and so I don't know who first mentioned the belt clips. I second (third...) the great idea. I rarely wear belts, but it would be nice to dump the lanyard (they do get in the way). Hubby can likely use this idea though!  I am not letting him put it in his pants pocket though, with our CC info the ease at which stuff seems to come out of pockets makes that a no go for us. Perhaps a magic genie will pop out and just hand it to me when I need it?! :classic_biggrin:

Lynn

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2018 at 10:11 PM, Sweetnspicy said:

I cracked up reading this because my husband does this THE NIGHT BEFORE we leave. I'm trying to snuggle into bed all cozy and content with my planning and my husband flips on the lights and starts panic packing. He tries things on, can't find half of what he wants to take and on and on. I can't live that way! Haha!

Me too!!!!! Lmao. 

Just returned from our two week journey in the Caribbean.  I was pretty bang-on with my packing and wardrobe planning.... With a few exceptions! 

I did NOT bank on enough shampoo (we like to use our own preferred brand) but luckily I thought of it before we left the hotel and we made a quick stop at a drug store to grab a bottle. 

I did NOT need to bring as many pairs of leggings as I brought, or loungey tee shirts and tank tops.  TMI alert, but I don't typically sleep in pajamas, so the lounge wear just did not get worn!  Also brought too many pairs of socks, not sure why I thought I would need so many!!   

Also brought five swimsuits but could have done with 3 -- I didn't wear two of them AT ALL.  

I did blow a hoof on day 3 -- the strap on one of my favorite pairs of dress shoes broke, I am still devastated.  They weren't expensive and not worth hauling home and repairing, so into the trash they went, but I was VERY glad I brought two pairs of dressy heels!  

I brought too many pairs of earrings, but they only take up a teeny tiny amount of space and I like to have a wide selection, so I don't consider that an issue.  

I found the ship to be VERY warm so I did not need the cardigan or pashminas I brought.  Wouldn't want to have been caught in frigid a/c without them, though!  

Husband wore many of his button-down tops multiple times, and ended up with 3 that he didn't wear at all!  He also brought too much lounge-wear type clothes.  

We did a bag of laundry to wash undergarments and socks, everything else that needed a quick freshen-up I just washed in the shower and hung to dry as needed.  

Overall, I feel like my compulsive prep paid off quite well!!