Compulsive cruise prep

Signs of the new normal, I go out these days with extra gears in my daypack or EDC, most of them as a matter of habit for 25+ years. 

But, a face mask, non-latex gloves, and pulse oximeter & digital thermometer has been added to a compact trauma/first aid kit with hand sanitizer. Telecomm gears, charger & 70cm portable radio aren't used by most. 

What is not shown is the personal medication box with 5 days of RX and OTC. For cruising & future travel, it's more like packing an extra month's worth, just in case. 

IMG_20200515_014957736.jpg

6 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Signs of the new normal, I go out these days with extra gears in my daypack or EDC, most of them as a matter of habit for 25+ years. 

But, a face mask, non-latex gloves, and pulse oximeter & digital thermometer has been added to a compact trauma/first aid kit with hand sanitizer. Telecomm gears, charger & 70cm portable radio aren't used by most. 

What is not shown is the personal medication box with 5 days of RX and OTC. For cruising & future travel, it's more like packing an extra month's worth, just in case. 

Don't forget your George Foreman grill and the waffle maker.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Mking, you must have a medical background, right?

18 hours ago, mugtech said:

So when you get to Tahiti in April, 2021, you will be opening suitcases that had been packed 13 months before?  Sounds like a science project.

Oh gawd Mugtech. Now I booked a Windstar cruise Tahiti instead so the suitcases will have been packed 14 months. Good news is it's for same destination so packed items don't change 🙂

8 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Mking, you must have a medical background, right?

Yes, I do ... and early retired from admin work, licensed in mental health.  Still with NYC Medical Reserves Corp.  A decade in ambulatory care, once steps away from the frontline so our "Go Bag" is always ready for all hazards CBRN disasters.  Previous deployment was 2012 for Superstorm Sandy to support shelter operations, this time, it is far ... far worst, a nightmare.  

There has been a pandemic handbook with plenty of templates and guides on how-to, when & what for decades.  Sadly, we as a nation should've never be caught unprepared with PPE.  I keep and still have a dozen of "old" N95 masks in the personal stock, usable and not really "expired" & functional, each in a sealed pouch (OSHA certified).  

Hopes and dreams ... DW and I would much rather spend our time, days & weeks of looking forward to and planning our next vacation, including cruising.  Alaska is a long way but not going to mind a day on GSC.  Be well, think positive, stay healthy and use common sense.  

Thanks Mking. Sounds like you have certainly been there and done that!

I'm an RN and still have not packed up my stuff. It's at home but protecting myself, husband, two dogs and four cats 😞

I live in a tsunami zone in Oregon and have even been certified by a tsunami protection agency and still am not prepared when I leave the house 😞

We live right on the ocean with only a cliff protecting us between our home and the fault, that sits 100 miles out in the ocean. Figure we'll say goodbye to each other if we feel an earthquake, but with liquefaction think we'll be gone long before then.

Edited by Petoonya

As many have already stated, you are my people..I’m constantly trying to find ways to be better prepared and more efficient.  When found what works for me, I stick with it.

i start with a spreadsheet of travel. 1 sheet that I give to family members not traveling with us, so they know where we are.  I include our confirmation numbers, time differences, seat numbers, cabin, hotels...they get the version with our passport numbers, TSA numbers, and any other sensitive, confidential information.  I travel (in a plastic pocket folder with a view front) with the version without sensitive information in front cover and 1st pocket. this folder stays in carry on luggage/ personal item so,it is always handy. I give a third version to my supervisors at work. And a fourth version that is a simple where am I at today on my desk at work.  They came in handy when we were on the Alaskan cruise last year and Ketchikan had that awful plane crash.  That happened 3 days before we arrived in Ketchikan and was a relief to my work family, knowing where I was and that I was safe.  Though I did still call the owner and reassured him I was fine.

next pockets are organized in order that I will need to access them ...pre cruise airfare confirmations. Next pocket is pre cruise hotel. Then cruise docs, cruise luggage tags and finally post cruise airfare.  Extra pockets are for any other additional info I may need.

I printed the adult beverage spreadsheet, both DH and I picked the what we like and what we would like to try. Then I made another list of just those drinks.  Printed 2 copies, stacked them back to back, laminated them and it goes into my cruise crossbody, so I always have it, and doesn’t matter how I pull it out.

shore excursions...I print out all shore excursions that are offered at the ports we are visiting, 2 copies...DH get a copy and selects what he likes, then I go through select what I like, then once excursions are released for “our” cruise, we do it again, based on what is actually offered.

pre cruise hotel is carefully selected based on cost, distance from airport and to port.  Walking proximity to food and anything else we may like to do. We like to stay nice, inexpensive but not cheap. We usually are just a single day before cruise, so we need feasibility.

we are always checking in first.  Neither of us mind waiting at the port, while they are still turning the ship over and disembarking returning passengers, so we tend to skip any shuttles that might be offered/available, and just Uber when we are ready.  We are early risers, so we are at port by 8:30.  That is when we feel the trip really starts...arrival at port.

i make lists.then remake them, then dig out the packing list tablets, and make the lists again. I have my toiletry bag always ready, but I still list everything in it, so I can cross a lot off my list at once, and check my stock.  Husband packs 2 weeks before...I pack 2 days before.  I used to be a morning of packer...like still packing while ride is waiting for me, packing...stressed DH out too much (this was before we met, and I was telling him about it), so I am better about it now.

research my confirmed flights, obsess about my seats, what gate is it flying into, is it usually on time, I track “our” flights for about 3 weeks before.  Study the arrival gates, compare connecting gates, what food is around. Where is baggage claim, ground transportation.

i bring my tea lights, usb charger, my M&G stuff, if I can make it happen, I will fedex it to hotel first so no packing,...

I follow currency exchange rates, temperature /whether of ports for the day I’m there,  local customs, if I’m not familiar.

We currently have Nov 2020, July 2021 and July 2022 booked...I’m working on trying to pick with hotels I want for the 2 July cruises.  The November one is my home port, so none of that is needed.

DH task is to arrange our transportation from home to airport or home port, since I make all the other decisions because he doesn’t care...he just wants to go...I usually end up doing that too.

this what happens for all vacations. Including the non cruise ones...

the anticipation is almost as much fun as the vacation itself

I love to plan, but my husband likes to wing it, so I plan time to wing it.  

I have a packing list, but I get distracted when I pack it (kids and dogs), so I have packed and forgotten essentials several times. When my twins were 2, I forgot socks once (had four in the diaper bag and washed a pair every day, I could not find socks for kids anywhere) and the last trip, I forgot bathing suits for the kids (now 8), but we were in Dubai so a trip to the mall solved that problem.  

I research so much, but we do 1/2 of what I have looked into.  A lot of the time, I know what we are doing, (choice of one or two activites), but we don't officially decide until the morning, depending on whether the kids will be grumpy and what we feel like doing that day, except for the must do items that can only be done on a tours, but we tend to stay away from those with kids (who don't do well on a time schedule.)

I have planned several imaginary vacations in quarantine and have done so even before house arrest, so once we are able I can go at the drop of a hat. We tend to book most vacations last minute.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bearette said:

I love to plan, but my husband likes to wing it, so I plan time to wing it.  

I research so much, but we do 1/2 of what I have looked into.  A lot of the time, I know what we are doing, (choice of one or two activites), but we don't officially decide until the morning, depending on whether the kids will be grumpy and what we feel like doing that day, except for the must do items that can only be done on a tours, but we tend to stay away from those with kids (who don't do well on a time schedule.)

I have planned several imaginary vacations in quarantine and have done so even before house arrest, so once we are able I can go at the drop of a hat. We tend to book most vacations last minute.

Same. I also plan "wing it" time, and only do half or less of what I find. I have researched the area thoroughly and probably have a list of food, things to see, and such in my back pocket.  I always look like I have been there a hundred times.  We get back from an excursion to port and I can steer us to a great place for a snack and drink.  Or right where the best shops are. And the Starbucks.  Always the Starbucks.

Shhhh don't admit we plan imaginary vacation.  They will think we are weirder than we are. I mean, than they think we are.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 6:50 AM, PelicanBill said:

. And the Starbucks.  Always the Starbucks.

This is my husband, he needs a coffee and mug everywhere we go.

Shhhh don't admit we plan imaginary vacation.  They will think we are weirder than we are. I mean, than they think we are.

They are only imaginary temporary... And I fully embrace my weird.

My husband loves to take credit for last minute things, but leaving the pamphlets on the table for him to find is planned...

On 5/15/2020 at 9:58 PM, MrsTocko said:

As many have already stated, you are my people..I’m constantly trying to find ways to be better prepared and more efficient.  When found what works for me, I stick with it.

i start with a spreadsheet of travel. 1 sheet that I give to family members not traveling with us, so they know where we are.  I include our confirmation numbers, time differences, seat numbers, cabin, hotels...they get the version with our passport numbers, TSA numbers, and any other sensitive, confidential information.  I travel (in a plastic pocket folder with a view front) with the version without sensitive information in front cover and 1st pocket. this folder stays in carry on luggage/ personal item so,it is always handy. I give a third version to my supervisors at work. And a fourth version that is a simple where am I at today on my desk at work.  They came in handy when we were on the Alaskan cruise last year and Ketchikan had that awful plane crash.  That happened 3 days before we arrived in Ketchikan and was a relief to my work family, knowing where I was and that I was safe.  Though I did still call the owner and reassured him I was fine.

next pockets are organized in order that I will need to access them ...pre cruise airfare confirmations. Next pocket is pre cruise hotel. Then cruise docs, cruise luggage tags and finally post cruise airfare.  Extra pockets are for any other additional info I may need.

I printed the adult beverage spreadsheet, both DH and I picked the what we like and what we would like to try. Then I made another list of just those drinks.  Printed 2 copies, stacked them back to back, laminated them and it goes into my cruise crossbody, so I always have it, and doesn’t matter how I pull it out.

shore excursions...I print out all shore excursions that are offered at the ports we are visiting, 2 copies...DH get a copy and selects what he likes, then I go through select what I like, then once excursions are released for “our” cruise, we do it again, based on what is actually offered.

pre cruise hotel is carefully selected based on cost, distance from airport and to port.  Walking proximity to food and anything else we may like to do. We like to stay nice, inexpensive but not cheap. We usually are just a single day before cruise, so we need feasibility.

we are always checking in first.  Neither of us mind waiting at the port, while they are still turning the ship over and disembarking returning passengers, so we tend to skip any shuttles that might be offered/available, and just Uber when we are ready.  We are early risers, so we are at port by 8:30.  That is when we feel the trip really starts...arrival at port.

i make lists.then remake them, then dig out the packing list tablets, and make the lists again. I have my toiletry bag always ready, but I still list everything in it, so I can cross a lot off my list at once, and check my stock.  Husband packs 2 weeks before...I pack 2 days before.  I used to be a morning of packer...like still packing while ride is waiting for me, packing...stressed DH out too much (this was before we met, and I was telling him about it), so I am better about it now.

research my confirmed flights, obsess about my seats, what gate is it flying into, is it usually on time, I track “our” flights for about 3 weeks before.  Study the arrival gates, compare connecting gates, what food is around. Where is baggage claim, ground transportation.

i bring my tea lights, usb charger, my M&G stuff, if I can make it happen, I will fedex it to hotel first so no packing,...

I follow currency exchange rates, temperature /whether of ports for the day I’m there,  local customs, if I’m not familiar.

We currently have Nov 2020, July 2021 and July 2022 booked...I’m working on trying to pick with hotels I want for the 2 July cruises.  The November one is my home port, so none of that is needed.

DH task is to arrange our transportation from home to airport or home port, since I make all the other decisions because he doesn’t care...he just wants to go...I usually end up doing that too.

You gave me a headache, lol.

On 5/16/2020 at 5:58 AM, MrsTocko said:

Love it and well done you. For me I am a wing it sort of person 54  cruises later and yes it worked. In fact I have left the UK without the cruise even booked at times and the family think I am mad. I say otherwise but now its just two of us I will book it the day before. Hotel I book on arrival - stunning deals Last yr spent a week in Vegas in Venetian for less than $500 and no resort fee. 

I read you planning but oh for a vacation - I want to be free to just do, but really enjoyed your detail.

You are amazing but my work life is all about attention to detail and therefore for me it is purely vacation not having detail anything.

Hotels in 2022 who know who will still be around!!! 

2 hours ago, bmwman said:

Love it and well done you. For me I am a wing it sort of person 54  cruises later and yes it worked. In fact I have left the UK without the cruise even booked at times and the family think I am mad. I say otherwise but now its just two of us I will book it the day before. Hotel I book on arrival - stunning deals Last yr spent a week in Vegas in Venetian for less than $500 and no resort fee. 

I read you planning but oh for a vacation - I want to be free to just do, but really enjoyed your detail.

You are amazing but my work life is all about attention to detail and therefore for me it is purely vacation not having detail anything.

Hotels in 2022 who know who will still be around!!! 

As far as Hotels...I look at the port, and the hotels that are there, read the reviews, what is round in terms of sightseeing, food...KNOWING that when it comes down to it, it may change, but I make my decisions/choose 2 or 3 options, so I am ready.

Once I get on the plane, my decision making is almost done...definitely when I get on the ship, biggest decision to make is what I am going to eat and where. I have never really cared for buffets,  I didn't pay all this flipping $$$ to go and muscle my way inline to get a plate of food, and then the great search for a place to sit. I would much rather go and sit in a restaurant and have the service.  THAT is worth paying for.  DH likes the "quickness" of the buffet, and the variety, then eats the same thing everyday. and he likes eating together, so the i eat in restaurant and he in buffet doesnt work.  We did split for lunch one day - dessert only, they looked at me "oh the poor lady - eating alone" in the restaurant, but that cheesecake was worth it....We do dinner in a restaurant, and then "wing it" for lunch.

Same. I also plan "wing it" time, and only do half or less of what I find. I have researched the area thoroughly and probably have a list of food, things to see, and such in my back pocket.  I always look like I have been there a hundred times.  We get back from an excursion to port and I can steer us to a great place for a snack and drink.  Or right where the best shops are. And the Starbucks.  Always the Starbucks.

DH learned on our Ireland trip, to provide me with coffee, and food on a regular basis.  "hangry" doesn't begin to cover my mood/attitude at 2pm when I have been denied both....He now asks me, do I need to go get you a coffee?  Not that he doctors it and bring it to me, he is asking, do we need to make time for you to get caffeine...he knows coffee will get me through, and that I will tell him, when food needs to be acquired.

1 hour ago, MrsTocko said:

DH learned on our Ireland trip, to provide me with coffee, and food on a regular basis.  "hangry" doesn't begin to cover my mood/attitude at 2pm when I have been denied both....He now asks me, do I need to go get you a coffee?  Not that he doctors it and bring it to me, he is asking, do we need to make time for you to get caffeine...he knows coffee will get me through, and that I will tell him, when food needs to be acquired.

My budget includes a line item for daily premium coffee.

My research on cities and ports always includes

- where to get coffee

- where to get drinks and snacks

- where is a bank we can use

- where is a drugstore

26 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

My budget includes a line item for daily premium coffee.

My research on cities and ports always includes

- where to get coffee

- where to get drinks and snacks

- where is a bank we can use

- where is a drugstore

I look for drugstores - as an allergy sufferer, i stock up before we leave, but if there is something last minute i need.  I feel covered with that, and as they will carry snacks and drinks. We often will get a couple sodas, and a bag of chips for the hotel.

I look for Starbucks (I know that we are not going out of our way to get), but I make sure that I can get SOMETHING at the hotel/in the room.

we have 2 savings methods for vacation cash.

1. change/recycling.  throughout the year I roll the accumulated change, and then will take it to the bank and exchange it for bills.  that and the recycling funds go to the strong box.

2. we do the 52 week money challenge.  Each week of the year we put that away in cash.  so week 1 - we do $1, week 35 is $35...

at the end of the year it is almost $1400.  and we both do it, so that is around $2800.  I have it in excel, and it totals.  I do an envelope for each of us and we initial it as we go.  and we check each other "did you do your envelope?"  it is hard.  Very Hard, and we haven't always be able to continue through out the year, but we try.

these are designated for spending cash or extreme emergencies or if we need a couple dollars and haven't made it to the bank/atm.  It is replaced right away.  Then we have all the spending cash we need.  we don't think about what we are spending or budgeting.  we have it covered. we are not lavish on vacation nor are we "cheap". we are frugal/thrifty.  We always come home with some, then it goes back into the box for next time.  this way we don't need to find an atm, and yes, we secure it on our person, or leave it locked in a safe, only taking what we think we need at the time.

On 5/15/2020 at 11:58 PM, MrsTocko said:

This is me!  I also have a spreadsheet that I laminate and put up in the cabin with a magnet with each day, port, plans and dinner reservation times.  Sort of a reminder for my DH on where we will be and what we are doing - He used to ask everyday so now he can have an idea.  I tend to obsess and he just wings it.

I had a 3" binder for our Med Cruise with far too many papers.  Even instructions on airport transfers.

Also all of my family members get all of our travel info and itinerary and I leave one on the counter at home.

Edited by TSUmom

4 hours ago, TSUmom said:

This is me!  I also have a spreadsheet that I laminate and put up in the cabin with a magnet with each day, port, plans and dinner reservation times.  Sort of a reminder for my DH on where we will be and what we are doing - He used to ask everyday so now he can have an idea.  I tend to obsess and he just wings it.

I had a 3" binder for our Med Cruise with far too many papers.  Even instructions on airport transfers.

Also all of my family members get all of our travel info and itinerary and I leave one on the counter at home.

we dont typically do the specialty restaurants, but we put the daily and any port/excursion tickets up on the walls with bulldog clip magnets.  That's how we keep track of the days...the dailies..we also buy magnets in ports for souvenirs...so we have plenty. anything that we need, goes on the wall with the magnet.

• Like 1

These are all great sharings!  

Here's a new topic.  How do you plan to pack?  I keep an ongoing list, updating a copy for each new cruise.  I gray out things that don't apply for a trip so I have them for next time.  For example, It's a big decision to take snorkel gear or not. It takes a lot of space. If there are two or more definite places to use it, I may take it, if not, I won't. My list helps me make sure I restock all the items in my medicine and first aid kit.  And the  big thing is clothes planning.  I lay out each day with clothing needed, considering if we need

- bathing suit/coverup

- touring (shorts, etc) / casual dinner

- dressy dinner (slacks, dress)

I can add up how many of each outfit is needed.   Then I judge if we should do laundry, and make sure there is overlap for 2 day turnaround on that. This way I can reach agreement with my wife over how much to pack! I would take too little without this plan and my wife would take too much (I know, how typical).  But this method works great.  I even consider the likelihood we will buy a few new shirts on the trip.

Hopefully, we will be able to take our November cruise. It's 13 days with 2 days in New York before and 5 days in New Orleans after.  Quite a challenge! I am thinking we will need to do laundry twice... or I will need to hire a Sherpa for our luggage.

16 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

These are all great sharings!  

Here's a new topic.  How do you plan to pack?  I keep an ongoing list, updating a copy for each new cruise.  I gray out things that don't apply for a trip so I have them for next time.  For example, It's a big decision to take snorkel gear or not. It takes a lot of space. If there are two or more definite places to use it, I may take it, if not, I won't. My list helps me make sure I restock all the items in my medicine and first aid kit.  And the  big thing is clothes planning.  I lay out each day with clothing needed, considering if we need

- bathing suit/coverup

- touring (shorts, etc) / casual dinner

- dressy dinner (slacks, dress)

I can add up how many of each outfit is needed.   Then I judge if we should do laundry, and make sure there is overlap for 2 day turnaround on that. This way I can reach agreement with my wife over how much to pack! I would take too little without this plan and my wife would take too much (I know, how typical).  But this method works great.  I even consider the likelihood we will buy a few new shirts on the trip.

Hopefully, we will be able to take our November cruise. It's 13 days with 2 days in New York before and 5 days in New Orleans after.  Quite a challenge! I am thinking we will need to do laundry twice... or I will need to hire a Sherpa for our luggage.

I have a packing list too that has everything I could possibly need and edit as needed.  Just like you my staging room has what we will need each day and it goes into packing cubes according to the day with the day attached to it along with the port and plans for that day.  I also have a "spare clothes" cube incase something is spilled.  We use the laundry service and re-wear some things.  

So far I have not forgotten a thing either and even with my list I tend to over pack!  Go figure.  

I always have the same dream a few days before leaving.....I don't have my documents or passports!  I check, double check and triple check before leaving the house.  

PelicanBill - go for the Sherpa!

for all my Trip planning and multiple lists, I don’t have a packing list. My DH, no planning, does have a list. Go figure. 

I start laying out clothes and needed items on the extra bedroom bed about 3;weeks before, as I check the weather of our destination.   It’s amazing how much stuff can fit in a rolling carryon! Of course, a large personal item helps immensely 😂