Water???

cruisin'sz

Drink from the tap or from the bottle is a personal choice. For those that say drinking bottled water is the same as drinking filtered or out of the tap, I question the accuracy there. Especially considering the County I live in is known to have an "Autism cluster" and "Cancer cluster" which has been linked back to drinking the water straight out of the tap or filtered that was contaminated in various towns without the public's knowledge or awareness. As well I just received a notice in the mail this week stating that the water quality that was tested recently indicated too high levels of radium. So for people who live in areas with water quality such as this, drinking filtered water or spring water in a bottle is definitely not the same and a step up from the tap and I would definitely not refer to those people as stupid.

My issue is the cost of the water. Water is not included in UBP, can't be brought on board, and has quite the cost. Seems like a bit of a monopoly to me.

Only if you CHOOSE to pay for it and not use the FREE alternative

Having seen this thread, and checked the NCL website (but also searched for squash), I'm concerned about being able to bring squash (concentrated fruit syrup which you mix with water) on board. NCL say "guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage"

Not sure if squash meets that definition. Know it sounds stupid but I really don't like plain water...

Can anyone answer if it will be or not?

I’ve taken the mini squirty ones on before and not been challenged:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/282138037

I doubt the big bottles will be allowed.

There are flavoured waters at the buffet, lemonade and iced tea as alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having seen this thread, and checked the NCL website (but also searched for squash), I'm concerned about being able to bring squash (concentrated fruit syrup which you mix with water) on board. NCL say "guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage"

Not sure if squash meets that definition. Know it sounds stupid but I really don't like plain water...

Can anyone answer if it will be or not?

I had to look this one up. Being from the USA, I had never heard of it. It looks like a bottle of grenadine to me. I would say, no, it's not allowed. Can you buy the powered packets?

I’ve taken the mini squirty ones on before and not been challenged:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/282138037

I doubt the big bottles will be allowed.

There are flavoured waters at the buffet, lemonade and iced tea as alternatives.

Thanks very much for your response. Was planning on taking one of the big bottles but will follow your advice and buy the ones you suggested. They take up so much less room too :)

Thanks very much for your response. Was planning on taking one of the big bottles but will follow your advice and buy the ones you suggested. They take up so much less room too :)

If you are from the UK and have a quality save or home bargains store near you they only cost about 80p each too for non branded ones. [emoji846]

I had to look this one up. Being from the USA, I had never heard of it. It looks like a bottle of grenadine to me. I would say, no, it's not allowed. Can you buy the powered packets?

We don’t have as many powdered ones in UK. [emoji846] it’s like cordial..I don’t know the USA equivalent.

Yeah, I realised this was predominantly an American forum so tried to explain. It's far more refreshing than water (they sponsor Wimbledon tennis tournament - https://www.compelo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Wimbledon-Robinsons-1024x680.jpg so you may have seen it on that if you watch tennis)

Like Kirsty_r said, they do super concentrated ones which come in little squirty bottles so I'll go with them, far more discreet.

If you are from the UK and have a quality save or home bargains store near you they only cost about 80p each too for non branded ones. [emoji846]

Yeah, I am from the UK. Will check out home bargains(y)

I wish this would become the norm! recyclable and no plastic parts.

boxed_water_new_lede.jpg

My goodness, Tetra Paks are terrible for the environment and and hard to recycle, most areas where I live will not even recycle them.

They are paper coated in plastic and much harder than raw plastic to recycle.

Tap is best... no single use packaging.

I can't understand why a company would use a product that is worse than plastic for the environment and tout it as a green alternative.

Check here:

https://treadingmyownpath.com/2014/09/11/why-tetra-paks-arent-green-even-though-theyre-recyclable/

Drink from the tap or from the bottle is a personal choice. For those that say drinking bottled water is the same as drinking filtered or out of the tap, I question the accuracy there. Especially considering the County I live in is known to have an "Autism cluster" and "Cancer cluster" which has been linked back to drinking the water straight out of the tap or filtered that was contaminated in various towns without the public's knowledge or awareness. As well I just received a notice in the mail this week stating that the water quality that was tested recently indicated too high levels of radium. So for people who live in areas with water quality such as this, drinking filtered water or spring water in a bottle is definitely not the same and a step up from the tap and I would definitely not refer to those people as stupid.

My issue is the cost of the water. Water is not included in UBP, can't be brought on board, and has quite the cost. Seems like a bit of a monopoly to me.

Mandy, as you seem health conscious, some info you might or might not already know. You are aware of the contaminants in your city water because the law requires your water to meet certain standards and the system to report to you what their testing shows.There are absolutely NO standards on bottled water or reporting requirements. So that water may be better, worse or the same, but you can't know unless you test it. This article describes an incident with Perrier quite a while ago. It was only discovered accidentally by a lab using it as a standard as well as some researchers who used it to grow cultures due to the mineral content. https://www.nytimes.com/1990/02/10/us/perrier-recalls-its-water-in-us-after-benzene-is-found-in-bottles.html

Edited by KarlChilders
typo

Mandy, as you seem health conscious, some info you might or might not already know. You are aware of the contaminants in your city water because the law requires your water to meet certain standards and the system to report to you what their testing shows.There are absolutely NO standards on bottled water or reporting requirements. So that water may be better, worse or the same, but you can't know unless you test it. This article describes an incident with Perrier quite a while ago. It was only discovered accidentally by a lab using it as a standard as well as some researchers who used it to grow cultures due to the mineral content. https://www.nytimes.com/1990/02/10/us/perrier-recalls-its-water-in-us-after-benzene-is-found-in-bottles.html

Lol, do you just make these things up as you go along? The FDA has all sorts or requirements on bottled water.

https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm046894.htm

And it's also as if you don't realize that water travels through oftentimes hundreds of miles of underground piping, connections, etc, before it comes out of your tap. Many points of possible contamination including in your own house. Bottled water is filtered and bottled in the same facility. Could bottled water have impurities? Sure. But there is no question that bottled water is more likely to be pure than tap. I rarely drink bottled water, and just for convenience basically, but the holier than thou attitude of some posters here is astonishing. Yes, there is a difference. No, you aren't as smart and clever as you think you are.

Edited by BNBR

No it means you WANT the same bottle that comes out of a tap pre-bottled for you. Its the SAME WATER! Oh my how did you ever manage to survive before someone convinced you that you NEED pre-packaged water? Let me guess, next you will be NEEDING bagged air right?

Wow, if you are going to be so snarky, at least have a clue what you are talking about. Bottled water is generally not simply bottled municipal water. Let me guess, you have never heard of "Google"....

I think the point of the thread has been lost. To summarise, each of us has a choice bottled or tap and each of us chooses our type of water depending on our own choice. You can buy bottled on ship or choose to drink tap water for free. You cannot carry on your own bottles. Maybe we should just respect each other’s views...

Lol, do you just make these things up as you go along? The FDA has all sorts or requirements on bottled water.

https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm046894.htm

And it's also as if you don't realize that water travels through oftentimes hundreds of miles of underground piping, connections, etc, before it comes out of your tap. Many points of possible contamination including in your own house. Bottled water is filtered and bottled in the same facility. Could bottled water have impurities? Sure. But there is no question that bottled water is more likely to be pure than tap. I rarely drink bottled water, and just for convenience basically, but the holier than thou attitude of some posters here is astonishing. Yes, there is a difference. No, you aren't as smart and clever as you think you are.

Maybe you are not as smart as you think either

Bottom line: The Food and Drug Administration oversees bottled water, and U.S. EPA is in charge of tap water. FDA lacks the regulatory authority of EPA, John Stephenson of the Government Accountability Office told a House panel.

The Safe Drinking Water Act empowers EPA to require water testing by certified laboratories and that violations be reported within a specified time frame. Public water systems must also provide reports to customers about their water, noting its source, evidence of contaminants and compliance with regulations.

By comparison, GAO said, FDA regulates bottled water as a food and cannot require certified lab testing or violation reporting. Furthermore, FDA does not require bottled water companies to disclose to consumers where the water came from, how it has been treated or what contaminants it contains. In a survey of 188 brands of bottled water released yesterday, the nonprofit Environmental Working Group found only two providing such information about its product to consumers.

From NY Times via google

Maybe you are not as smart as you think either

Bottom line: The Food and Drug Administration oversees bottled water, and U.S. EPA is in charge of tap water. FDA lacks the regulatory authority of EPA, John Stephenson of the Government Accountability Office told a House panel.

The Safe Drinking Water Act empowers EPA to require water testing by certified laboratories and that violations be reported within a specified time frame. Public water systems must also provide reports to customers about their water, noting its source, evidence of contaminants and compliance with regulations.

By comparison, GAO said, FDA regulates bottled water as a food and cannot require certified lab testing or violation reporting. Furthermore, FDA does not require bottled water companies to disclose to consumers where the water came from, how it has been treated or what contaminants it contains. In a survey of 188 brands of bottled water released yesterday, the nonprofit Environmental Working Group found only two providing such information about its product to consumers.

From NY Times via google

You mean the FDA has similar safety requirements with water as they do with all the other food we put in to our bodies... Thank goodness for all that extra EPA testing in Flint, which didn't even occur until people started getting sick and complaining.

Of course, your original comment was "there are no standards on bottled water for testing or reporting" - which is completely false. Bottled water is very much regulated and tested.

The reality is that bottled water from a reliable source goes through intense filtration and is bottled at the source. It doesn't travel through miles of pipes and risk contamination. Nothing is perfect, but bottled water is absolutely more likely to be safer. Of course, articles point out it's no safer because they use a good, quality tap source. But when traveling, on a ship, etc... I don't think it's unreasonable for people to feel more comfortable with bottled water.

A good example would be at ports of call. You get off and have to buy water or buy water on the ship to take with you. It was the point of my original comment, that NCL is all about the dollars with their bottled water policy. It has nothing to do with environment reasons or any of that nonsense. Just like Royal didn't start requiring all in a room to have the same beverage package because of sharing. Are people that gullible?

NCL uses plastic cups in the nightclubs on many occasions as well because they could never keep up with washing all of the glasses. I guarantee you will never see only reusable cups on the pool deck.

If they can't keep up, they either don't have enough staff, or they are inefficient.

Other cruise lines use reusable cups both indoors and outdoors and the process works just fine.

There's been some concerning stories in the news about water in Brevard County...the port NCL Sun and Epic call home.

Is it "technically" safe? Sure. But anyone who lives around here and has been following news on the cancer epidemic aren't convinced.

Drink at your own risk. I'll stick with bottled water. ;)

There's been some concerning stories in the news about water in Brevard County...the port NCL Sun and Epic call home.

Is it "technically" safe? Sure. But anyone who lives around here and has been following news on the cancer epidemic aren't convinced.

Drink at your own risk. I'll stick with bottled water. ;)

The cruise ship filters it themselves before it gets to passengers....

Since bottled water is not even included in the UBP I just order a 12 pack to be in my cabin the first day. I think it was $34.00. I think NCL is the only cruise line that doesn't include bottled water in their packages and they are the most expensive. Celebrity included fresh juices, bottled water, specialty coffees. I have had it with NCL policies. :(

They are ridiculous with their policies. They even charge a corkage fee for a screw top bottle of wine you bring onboard to drink in your room! Every other line only charges the corkage fee if you bring the bottle to the dining room for consumption.

We had doctors' notes for permission to bring on a case of water for my husband's medical needs -- and they said NO! I have had trouble drinking the "free" water on some ships as they add sodium and it causes other problems I don't need. Oh, and they have the MOST ridiculous fee for a case of water -- $34 or so for a 12-pack as opposed to the $4.99 Carnival charges for a 12-pack! UGH. That's why we only cruise NCL to Bermuda -- we take anyone else to other ports ;)

We had doctors' notes for permission to bring on a case of water for my husband's medical needs -- and they said NO! ;)

Unfortunately too many people are having doctors make up silly reasons why they have to drink bottled water that some legit reasons might be overlooked.

Unfortunately too many people are having doctors make up silly reasons why they have to drink bottled water that some legit reasons might be overlooked.

And I do believe that's why people like my poor husband who is required to drink 6-8 bottles a day minimum is being denied. Oh well, we used their credit card to earn rewards so our cases of water will be on their dime LOL

Funny thing is, they are allowing us to bring the juice boxes onboard that he needs to carry when out and about. Go figure.

And I do believe that's why people like my poor husband who is required to drink 6-8 bottles a day minimum is being denied.
Sorry I would have to agree with NCL on this one, as I don't think the amount of water that someone needs to drink in a day is a medical reason that should be approved. NCL's free water is good to drink and one could fill up a few resuable bottles and store them in the mini-bar or purchase water.

Sorry I would have to agree with NCL on this one, as I don't think the amount of water that someone needs to drink in a day is a medical reason that should be approved. NCL's free water is good to drink and one could fill up a few resuable bottles and store them in the mini-bar or purchase water.

It's greedy -- whether they agree to let people bring water onboard or not, they certainly do not have to charge $53 for a 24-case of water. Other cruise lines don't gouge that way (at least Disney and Carnival and Princess don't)

It's greedy -- whether they agree to let people bring water onboard or not, they certainly do not have to charge $53 for a 24-case of water. Other cruise lines don't gouge that way (at least Disney and Carnival and Princess don't)
I think it was more about not wanting to pay for bottle water, then it was a medical reason and that is probably why you were turned down.

I show them by drinking the free water on the ships, then there is no need to pay their price for bottled water.

There are so many different cruise lines to sail on; some will have policies we agree with and someone won't and we can choose to spend our money with a cruise line we feel is more suited to us.

Edited by NLH Arizona