Water???

cruisin'sz

... forces you to buy a bottled water package!!

That is totally and absolutely incorrect.

I have NEVER been FORCED to buy bottled water on any cruise I have been on. I have NEVER even bought water on any cruise I am on. I take empty bottles on board with me, fill them on board, chill overnight in the, now, empty fridge and take them with me. Then I empty the bottles before re-boarding and start the whole process again.

... forces you to buy a bottled water package!!

That is totally and absolutely incorrect.

I have NEVER been FORCED to buy bottled water on any cruise I have been on. I have NEVER even bought water on any cruise I am on. I take empty bottles on board with me, fill them on board, chill overnight in the, now, empty fridge and take them with me. Then I empty the bottles before re-boarding and start the whole process again.

Ummm... if you WANT BOTTLED WATER then you are FORCED to buy their bottled water... Goodness was that difficult to understand?

Bottled water is just repackaged tap water. Why is it any different if it's treated on the ship or in a factory?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I agree. I'm not arguing that. My point was pretty simple and clear, however. If someone wants bottled water, pay up on NCL. All the excuses for why you can't bring it on or it's not free is ridiculous. It's because they want to sell you water.

I like the convenience of grabbing a bottle of water at a bar anywhere on the ship when I'm thirsty, that's for sure. But yes, the quality is probably no better than what the ship produces. In fact, my understanding is that the ship tap water is a VERY high quality water.

I agree. I'm not arguing that. My point was pretty simple and clear, however. If someone wants bottled water, pay up on NCL. All the excuses for why you can't bring it on or it's not free is ridiculous. It's because they want to sell you water.

I like the convenience of grabbing a bottle of water at a bar anywhere on the ship when I'm thirsty, that's for sure. But yes, the quality is probably no better than what the ship produces. In fact, my understanding is that the ship tap water is a VERY high quality water.

The process on a ship is pretty cool to see... I do a basic version of it with my students during lab.

I wish this would become the norm! recyclable and no plastic parts.

boxed_water_new_lede.jpg

I wish getting it out of the tap would become the norm. Then no trees or plastics need to die in the first place!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The process on a ship is pretty cool to see... I do a basic version of it with my students during lab.

Yup. Hook those blue hose pipes up to the hydrants at the port and bunker as much water as possible.

https://www.princess.com/aboutus/environmental-responsibility/

http://www.rclcorporate.com/what-it-takes-to-keep-water-clean-and-usage-lean-on-cruise-ships/

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1197/~/onboard-water

https://www.portseattle.org/blog/eco-bliss-environmental-sustainability-norwegian-cruise-line

Every bottle of water that is brought on board generates plastic wast that has to be disposed of, and NCL has to pay to get rid of the waste. Don't ever buy are bring water in plastic bottles. Drink tap water out of a reusable bottle, and if necessary buy a filter. The tap water on every cruise ship is filtered much more than any bottled water, anyway.

If NCL cared about reducing waste, they would stop serving every damn drink outdoors in a disposable plastic cup. But straws...yeah those are bad.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the reason... Lol.

I bet it has nothing to do with the fact that NCL is the only company that doesn't give you bottled water in their drink package and forces you to buy a bottled water package!!

NCL doesn't force you to buy bottled water. The water out of the taps and dispensers taste better than any bottled water. They just allow people the option to waste money if that is what they want. Reasonable people bring reusable sports bottles for their water.

Ummm... if you WANT BOTTLED WATER then you are FORCED to buy their bottled water... Goodness was that difficult to understand?

I can't understand why anyone would want bottled city water, which is what is sold on the ship.

So am I correct in reading that you are not allowed to bring bottled water on board anymore? I was recently on Royal and they didn't seem to have any issue with it. I can understand alcohol but water?

I’ve always wondered why anybody would want to haul bottles of water on board! I mean except for maybe substituting a little vodka for some of that water! The tap water on ships is already filtered! Where do you think they get that water? It’s at least as pure as what you’re getting out of those water bottles! They just like to make money so they sell those plastic bottles of water to stupid Americans willing to pay for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Then I would venture to guess, unless NCL has contract with a recyle company other than China, they will be banned soon. I'd also guess that many US cities will start to ban them just like they are straws. I think a city in Massachussetts has already banned single serve plastic bottles and in San Fracisco they are not sold at city events.

How funny SF would ban plastic water bottles at city events but plastic syringes and contaminated needles are everywhere in public spaces.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No it means you WANT the same bottle that comes out of a tap pre-bottled for you. Its the SAME WATER! Oh my how did you ever manage to survive before someone convinced you that you NEED pre-packaged water? Let me guess, next you will be NEEDING bagged air right?

Drink from the tap or from the bottle is a personal choice. For those that say drinking bottled water is the same as drinking filtered or out of the tap, I question the accuracy there. Especially considering the County I live in is known to have an "Autism cluster" and "Cancer cluster" which has been linked back to drinking the water straight out of the tap or filtered that was contaminated in various towns without the public's knowledge or awareness. As well I just received a notice in the mail this week stating that the water quality that was tested recently indicated too high levels of radium. So for people who live in areas with water quality such as this, drinking filtered water or spring water in a bottle is definitely not the same and a step up from the tap and I would definitely not refer to those people as stupid.

My issue is the cost of the water. Water is not included in UBP, can't be brought on board, and has quite the cost. Seems like a bit of a monopoly to me.

My issue is the cost of the water. Water is not included in UBP, can't be brought on board, and has quite the cost. Seems like a bit of a monopoly to me.

A 1L bottle of water can be had for $2.25 each after service charge by buying the 24 pack (not counting POA sailings). Yes, that is "high" but it isn't so high compared to buying water at a sporting event, amusement park, etc.

Anyone old enough to remember when Evian first came out and people who drank it were made fun of? I tell my eco students that bottled water is the biggest scam the American public has fallen for. Whatever happened to drinking from the hose on a hot day? [emoji6]

Exactly. But people have grown use to convenience. I don’t recall ever once getting sick from tap water in the 70’s and 80’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A 1L bottle of water can be had for $2.25 each after service charge by buying the 24 pack (not counting POA sailings). Yes, that is "high" but it isn't so high compared to buying water at a sporting event, amusement park, etc.

A bottle that size retails for $1.89 here at home. If I add the 20% to that it comes out to $2.29, so it would be slightly cheaper on the ship.

Exactly. But people have grown use to convenience. I don’t recall ever once getting sick from tap water in the 70’s and 80’s.

Or the 50's, 60's , 90's or any other time unless there have been massive chemical spills in very specific areas.

Anyone old enough to remember when Evian first came out and people who drank it were made fun of? I tell my eco students that bottled water is the biggest scam the American public has fallen for. Whatever happened to drinking from the hose on a hot day? [emoji6]

I couldn't agree more.

Having seen this thread, and checked the NCL website (but also searched for squash), I'm concerned about being able to bring squash (concentrated fruit syrup which you mix with water) on board. NCL say "guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage"

Not sure if squash meets that definition. Know it sounds stupid but I really don't like plain water...

Can anyone answer if it will be or not?

anyone old enough to remember when evian first came out and people who drank it were made fun of? I tell my eco students that bottled water is the biggest scam the american public has fallen for. Whatever happened to drinking from the hose on a hot day? [emoji6]

sent from my sm-g930v using forums mobile app

naive