Water???

cruisin'sz

There's been some concerning stories in the news about water in Brevard County...the port NCL Sun and Epic call home.

Is it "technically" safe? Sure. But anyone who lives around here and has been following news on the cancer epidemic aren't convinced.

Drink at your own risk. I'll stick with bottled water. ;)

Just like the cancer water in Palm Beach (Loxahatchee). I'm still waiting for the equivalent to Flint in the bottled water space... Dasani is high in lead and killing everyone! OMG!!!

This is why I prefer scotch in my water. Kills the bacteria...

Do you agree with NCL policy that charging $53 for a case of water is a fair practice?

50X cost. Seems reasonable. :D

I think I paid 18 bucks or six for 6 liter sized bottles...not half liter...

That said, if bottled water is your sticking point, why not just cruise a line that gives it to you for a price you like, then we are all happy.

And I do believe that's why people like my poor husband who is required to drink 6-8 bottles a day minimum is being denied. Oh well, we used their credit card to earn rewards so our cases of water will be on their dime LOL

Funny thing is, they are allowing us to bring the juice boxes onboard that he needs to carry when out and about. Go figure.

No one is required to drink any BOTTLES of water.

Do you agree with NCL policy that charging $53 for a case of water is a fair practice?
I agree that it is their company and they can charge whatever price they want. The way I get around not paying the price is that I just drink the free water that comes out of the tap.

I don't think the water alone is to blame - we all eat too much salt on cruises, plus inhaling more salt from the ocean. The cruiseline tries to desalinate water and then adds back in minerals which you also find in standard tap or bottled water... we may also be less 'active' on those seadays.

Remember that that is true every time you board. If you take water off in the morning remember to empty the bottle before you try to board or you will lose the bottle.

So I assume I can bring my metal water bottle on board? Empty of course

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think I paid 18 bucks or six for 6 liter sized bottles...not half liter...

That said, if bottled water is your sticking point, why not just cruise a line that gives it to you for a price you like, then we are all happy.

Like I said previously, we use their card, earn our reward dollars and use it onboard to buy the water (and other things), so nothing comes out of our pocket. It's just a "sticking point" that NCL is gouging for so many things in the past couple of years. We've sailed on 5 cruise lines and NCL seems to be the highest for most of the items I would be interested in. If they go where we want, we'll go -- and use their dime for our onboard needs. ;)

Pay their outrageous water prices or drink their sodium laced water and watch yourself swell up like a balloon.
Never had swollen ankles, hands, etc., because I watch the salt content in my food when I cruise, I get plenty of exercise and I drink plenty of water.

Never had swollen ankles, hands, etc., because I watch the salt content in my food when I cruise, I get plenty of exercise and I drink plenty of water.

You're very lucky you have had no reaction. Everyone reacts differently to sodium intake. I learned my lesson after trying it on our first two cruises. I thought it was because I ate too much, until I realized on the third cruise that by not drinking ship water I wasn't having a reaction and hence, bottled water. Getting swollen ankles, hands and legs because of it while cruising does not mean one is lazy or eating the wrong food. Medical conditions may contribute to it, but everybody's body reacts in its own way :D.

If they can't keep up, they either don't have enough staff, or they are inefficient.

Other cruise lines use reusable cups both indoors and outdoors and the process works just fine.

Some other cruise lines. Not all other cruise lines.

Having seen this thread, and checked the NCL website (but also searched for squash), I'm concerned about being able to bring squash (concentrated fruit syrup which you mix with water) on board. NCL say "guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage"

Not sure if squash meets that definition. Know it sounds stupid but I really don't like plain water...

Can anyone answer if it will be or not?

We don’t have squash herein the US but we do have little bottles of water enhancer/flavoring that I always bring with me.

Stick your squash bottle in your purse. You will be fine.

Just bring an empty refillable water bottle, or buy one on board and fill up with ice and water anywhere on the ship. That water is perfectly fine. you could just imagine the issues if unsanitary water was fed to 3600 (pax and crew) people and wasn't as pure and clean as possible. You can bet that it's cleaner than what you drink at home.

So am I correct in reading that you are not allowed to bring bottled water on board anymore? I was recently on Royal and they didn't seem to have any issue with it. I can understand alcohol but water?

To many people switching water out for Vodka to sneak onboard. Buy the UBP package and skip the water.

Edited by FranMar16

Pay their outrageous water prices or drink their sodium laced water and watch yourself swell up like a balloon.

Have you got proof that the water is "sodium laced"? There are other agents involved in water retention than sodium, mainly the chlorine, and also the lack of magnesium and potassium from water produced in evaporators, which is distilled water.

Water produced in evaporators (majority of water produced onboard) has less than 10ppm of sodium (the unit rejects water with a higher level and diverts it to sea), water produced by reverse osmosis has less than 20ppm of sodium (again the unit will divert to sea at this level), while municipal water from ports where water may be bunkered have water quality reports that say: Miami (30-50ppm) and NYC (40-70ppm), and even Honolulu water has reported 44ppm sodium.

Mandy, as you seem health conscious, some info you might or might not already know. You are aware of the contaminants in your city water because the law requires your water to meet certain standards and the system to report to you what their testing shows.There are absolutely NO standards on bottled water or reporting requirements. So that water may be better, worse or the same, but you can't know unless you test it. This article describes an incident with Perrier quite a while ago. It was only discovered accidentally by a lab using it as a standard as well as some researchers who used it to grow cultures due to the mineral content. https://www.nytimes.com/1990/02/10/us/perrier-recalls-its-water-in-us-after-benzene-is-found-in-bottles.html

Yeah, I'm sure the people in Flint Michigan are happy that these laws are protecting them so well.