Just Off Caribbean Princess Aug 4 - 11 Brief Review

sherman931

Thanks for an upbeat report. There have been so many negative comments about the CB lately I was beginning to get concerned that the ship has gone downhill beyond saving. ;)

How did they keep people from entering their cabins before 1 PM?

Were the doors closed to each room & not allowed to open?

Hi Sherman

Did you ever use the buffet? We use it for breakfast and lunch and after reading some reviews, we're worried.

Is there fresh whole or cut up fruit available (one review said no) and is there a decent salad bar?

Thanks for any help

ML

PS: I'd love to live close to PE!!

they do have a choice of a fruit cocktail type thing or wedges of pineapple and melons. My wife liked the salad bar

Thanks for you solid CB Review

Personally though, I try and avoid the CB now since experiencing the Marketplace fiasco last year in Europe. IMO you can add the Marketplace to the list of Princess blunders along with Share

Srpilo

Not sure of the specific European fiasco you speak of but I was on the same cruise as OP and would not call the Marketplace a blunder at all. With small kids we ate at the buffet at almost every meal and was always able to find something good to eat.

Thanks for this thread. I get on 8/25; have a friend on now who boarded yesterday. I understand you had free unlimited internet (Elite). True?

BTW, I live in your neighborhood. I'd like to know how you got off the ship at 8:10, got your car and was home by 9:00. I don't think my lead foot could have done that. :D

No free unlimited internet, had to use my free elite minutes.

Off the ship - into the garage - on to I-95 and up to Atlantic exit at 80mph :D

Thanks for an upbeat report. There have been so many negative comments about the CB lately I was beginning to get concerned that the ship has gone downhill beyond saving. ;)

How did they keep people from entering their cabins before 1 PM?

Were the doors closed to each room & not allowed to open?

When you exit the elevators the doors to the passageways are closed and have signs saying no entry until 1 pm

Hi Sherman

Did you ever use the buffet? We use it for breakfast and lunch and after reading some reviews, we're worried.

Is there fresh whole or cut up fruit available (one review said no) and is there a decent salad bar?

Thanks for any help

ML

Lots of fresh fruit and salad items. We eat everywhere on the ship, including the buffet. We avoid peak times so we generally miss the crowds and hassle.

I go on cruises to enjoy myself. I am sure if I looked for things to complain about I could find them. But that’s not my style.

Also, I served 4 years on US Navy destroyer so that’s why it will take a lot for me to complain about a cruise ;p

closed doors?

a sign?

meh

that won't stop me...:evilsmile:

signed,

FloridaLoverXXXX

Bet it stops you when the alarm goes off and the nearest steward approaches you asking if you saw the sign! Just ask my DH :D

closed doors?

a sign?

meh

that won't stop me...:evilsmile:

signed,

FloridaLoverXXXX

It didn't on the Royal last cruise as a matter of fact there were no signs that I saw at all although many people were lugging their bags around at the buffet.

I though it was a little strange.

If we can't get to the cabin we'll just hang at the buffet till 1 PM people watching and taking up space.

I am a platinum member. I have an offer to purchase unlimited for 59.99 for the week. But now I am afraid to buy it if they are offering it for free. I wonder if they would refund it?

Are you talking about this ship or your Regal booking in October? Apples to apples. What happens on one ship is not happening on all of them. And if you buy in advance, I doubt you can get a refund.

Hi Sherman

Thanks for any help

ML

We were on CB in March for the 14 day Circle Caribbean cruise. Enjoyed the cruise very much....most of the time had lunch and dinner at Market Place. Salad bar "ho-hum" IMO. Always lots of fish dishes (the salmon choices were delicious) and the fresh cut-up honeydew melon and cantaloupe were wonderful, as well as the other fresh fruit. . DH and I are both on Weight Watchers, and he managed to lose 2 pounds after 2 weeks on board (even though he had plenty of chocolate cake!). I "only" gained 2 pounds, which I guess is pretty darn good after 2 weeks on a cruise. :D:D:D:D:)

Hi. No. We are on the CB 9/1. I need to update my signature....

Are you talking about this ship or your Regal booking in October? Apples to apples. What happens on one ship is not happening on all of them. And if you buy in advance, I doubt you can get a refund.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was on the same cruise as this review. Just to add a couple more points:

they do have a choice of a fruit cocktail type thing or wedges of pineapple and melons. My wife liked the salad bar

Agreed. Never had cut up fruit, but there were always wedges of pineapple and melons in the buffet. Overall the buffet was fine. I liked the food. There was not a lot of variety from day-to-day though. Kind of the same buffet every day. Ate at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. MDR for dinner (which was excellent).

When you exit the elevators the doors to the passageways are closed and have signs saying no entry until 1 pm

Doors to passage ways were closed for me as well. There is an alarm. I saw one passenger try to open the doors and the alarm went off. Cabins were ready at 1pm. I got to my room at 1:05 and my luggage was already there!

There is already a couple threads on this cruise, so I will just add a couple comments to this one instead of starting a new one, hope that is OK.

Princess Cayes: Short port day. Took a while for the tenders each way. They do a good job given the number of people. I wish we had gone as early as possible Took about 1-hour between wait and getting to shore. Took about 45 minutes to get back. Taking 2 hours out of a short port day for travel is a lot. BBQ Buffet on the island was poor. Food was not very good and very bland. How do you mess up hot dogs and hamburgers?

Pictures: A little disappointed in the quality of the photos (formal nights). Way too many pictures with shadows on faces, poor posing, quality of image. Took WAY to long to finalize photo purchases at end of cruise. Only 3 people at cashiers and 6 people helping you find pictures that were not knowledgeable about picture packages. Rule of business, make it easy for me to give you my money. They could revamp this whole process.

Entertainment was excellent. Went to every show and all the game shows. Fantastic. Comedian was excellent and appropriate for all ages.

Thanks for you solid CB Review

Personally though, I try and avoid the CB now since experiencing the Marketplace fiasco last year in Europe. IMO you can add the Marketplace to the list of Princess blunders along with Share

Srpilo

We were on the Caribbean Princess for two back to back British Isles cruises in the summer of 2017 and found the Market Place buffet a great improvement to all the other buffets in the Princess fleet except for the Royal class ships. We also loved the Planks BBQ specialty restaurant---but then we are from Texas and BBQ is considered a vital part of life.

I have the same offer for my 1/13/19 Regal sailing. I know they are still doing the unlimited at the moment, guess we will have to find out if that’s the way it still is prior to that.