LIVE BLOG! From the EQUINOX - AUG 25th Sailing - CHICAGOPAUL

chicagopaul

Hi Paul!

I happened upon your review/blog/streamofconsciousness and have been enjoying it immensely!

I completely appreciate the huge amount of work that it takes to produce this for everyone (remember to have a good time....) and it is immensely entertaining and informative.

After about 250 days on board Celebrity ships, I said a not so fond "buh-bye" five years ago and said "never again" .... and then booked two for next year. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Looking forward to revisiting Equinox.

Please say "hello" to Nick, Jack and the Duck (Nicholas Feuillette, Jack Daniels and Decoy)

Thank you all for the continued kind comments! I’ll see what I can find out about the beverage director. We will be going to the senior officers party so perhaps I’ll see him there.

Our muster drill time today was 2:45. It started around 3 per the usual and over all moved relatively quickly. Captain Kate had a couple fun jokes and I am definitely looking forward to meeting her.

The rain let up for sail away but we enjoyed it from our balcony. We’re just now finishing pulling away now.

When we returned to our room after muster drill we had our last piece of luggage so we were able to unpack and get organized and settled into the room. Now it’s time for a quick nap and then we will get ready for the martini bar before dinner.

Regarding the hairdryer I did find it when I was putting away clothes. It was in the top drawer under the TV.

Here are some photos of us sailing away!

e01bf862813092d6306678e576c45b02.jpg

0621c5ea3d3ee7c4978a39632249f247.jpg

da66e2092ac3ae59f3757ec27af4d83d.jpg

416108167e29e3896d4d5a330784e06c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

And many thanks for your posts from your cruise.

We are relative "newbies" to Celebrity with only one Silhouette cruise in the past and one Eclipse cruise in the future (Nov 2018) and are looking forward to all of your posts from the ship.

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your days on board to do this.

Yea! Following along, definitely! I've read your past live posts and enjoyed all of them. Thanks for sharing your journeys with us.

One questions re: insurance - so you never buy separate travel insurance b/c your credit cards cover pretty well (except medical)? I may have to check my card then. We don't have the Amex Platinum, but do have the AA Executive World Elite, so maybe that ridiculous annual fee may mean something? :)

Have a great trip, and just followed you on Insta as well!

Linda

Hi Linda - Yes, that card should have some good protection. I did a very quick google search (you made me curious so I had to find out) and the points guy had a nice review stating the benefits. You should look it up. Looks like coverage for cancellation for a covered reason is up to $5k per traveler. There is also trip delay and lost baggage protection. Hope this helps!

Always look forward to reading your reviews. We have sailed the Equinox twice which we loved. We are doing the ABC's in 2020 on the Reflection, so following this Live Blog with interest.

Have a great time

Hi Linda - Yes, that card should have some good protection. I did a very quick google search (you made me curious so I had to find out) and the points guy had a nice review stating the benefits. You should look it up. Looks like coverage for cancellation for a covered reason is up to $5k per traveler. There is also trip delay and lost baggage protection. Hope this helps!

Some credit cards have very good travel coverage, but most don't cover pre-existing conditions. To be covered for pre-existing conditions, (most) insurance companies have a look back period. This can be waived by purchasing the trip insurance within two to three weeks from the first payment for the trip. But most insurance companies ALSO require you to insure the total prepaid nonrefundable amount of your trip or they will NOT cover any medical problem from a pre-existing condition. So be careful and make sure you have the proper coverage. Just FYI.

Some credit cards have very good travel coverage, but most don't cover pre-existing conditions. To be covered for pre-existing conditions, (most) insurance companies have a look back period. This can be waived by purchasing the trip insurance within two to three weeks from the first payment for the trip. But most insurance companies ALSO require you to insure the total prepaid nonrefundable amount of your trip or they will NOT cover any medical problem from a pre-existing condition. So be careful and make sure you have the proper coverage. Just FYI.

The Chase Sapphire Reserve Paul is using does exclude pre-existing conditions in the 60 days prior to booking for some problems, but does not exclude pre-existing conditions during that period which are currently being treated and under control. Most chronic problems such as diabetes or hypertension for example would be covered by the CC as long as they were being treated. It's a great CC for travel.

The Chase Sapphire Reserve Paul is using does exclude pre-existing conditions in the 60 days prior to booking for some problems, but does not exclude pre-existing conditions during that period which are currently being treated and under control. Most chronic problems such as diabetes or hypertension for example would be covered by the CC as long as they were being treated. It's a great CC for travel.

I agree that the Sapphire Reserve is a great card. But Paul mentioned that he purchased extra medical with AIG besides the coverage with the credit card. The extra medical coverage is where you must cover the total cost of the trip or a claim will most likely be denied. Just wanted to warn fellow cruises.

I submitted claim from Chase Sapphire Reserve card before.The Max is 5K per person for travels cost.For medical you need to purchase separately.

I use Geo Blue annually for medical and evaculations.I also submitted claim once before while was hospitalized oversea with no problem.Just give your Insurance information to Hospital and they do the rest. with Zero problem on either side.

Wonderful! We’ll be on Equinox the cruise after you!! So I’ll be avidly following!! Is Captain Kate onboard for your cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Captain Kate is onboard. We just got off Equinox this morning and enjoyed sailing with her. She just recently came back on.

I’ll follow up with a full review if these nights activities in the morning. But I just wanted to quickly touch base and say how great the crew has been. Martini bar is off to a great start and dinner tonight was in Murano and despite the fact that it was packed (literally full) the food was awesome and we were very pleased.

I’ll update you in the morning from the bar. Until then, cheers!

Regarding the trio insurance issue I didn’t mean to start a debate! What I want to do is bring awareness to some of the great benefits of cards that are available. But as previous posters have said you need to read the fine print and understand the details. I’m a huge fan of “The Points Guy” his reviews and explanations are spot on. But when in doubt call the credit card company. Long story short if your annual fee is $100, your benefits are limited. If you’re paying close to $500 then you should be good but research! Ask questions. We have two cards with big fees but we get them back several times over in hr first quarter. However, others we wouldn’t for the same fees so make sure you find one that is right for you.

I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card and it is well worth the $450 a year and less than the AmEx Platinum which I think is up to $550. You get $300 annual travel credit; Global Entry or TSA Pre reimbursement (I believe GE is $100 and good for 5 years); and 3x points for travel and dining. With just the travel credit it brings the cost of the card down to $150 so considering you would pay around $95 a year for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card, and many others, the card would only cost an extra $55 per year. Add to that the Reserve's trip cancellation benefit which is $10,000 per person up to $20,000 per trip but not sure what the yearly cap might be. It doesn't cover pre-existing conditions but only has a 60 day look back period.

As a word of caution if you have a trip cancellation claim, I can relate my recent experience with Chase which was frustrating but was ultimately paid. We had to cancel a cruise in May due to health issues I was having. This was not a pre-existing condition so I was covered. The claim was handled by Chase Benefits and Allianz Insurance was also involved but never could get a straight answer as to what part they had although they did issue the check even though Chubb is the Underwriter. My claim was not denied but it took three months of constant phone calls and over 30 pages of documentation to settle. The claim was slightly over $10,000 and they kept telling me because it was over that amount it required further reviews by management. What was also frustrating is they initially paid a small amount for reinstating points for airfare and never let me know they needed further documentation even after I sent them at that point over 20 pages. I really had to persist to even find out what they wanted/needed. Finally, after three months of blowing me off I threatened to file a complaint with the CA Superintendent of Insurance since there are regulations they must adhere to. That threat got me and my claim to the right person and within one hour I got a call back and an e-mail confirmation that my claim was being paid. They even sent the check next day delivery. My only consolation through all of this was the fact that we didn't have to buy travel insurance which would have cost around $1,000 so the Chase Reserve card has more than paid for itself at least for a few more years.

Carole

Edited by caroak

My husband and I are on the Equinox in a Sky Suite in October to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. I’m so enjoying your blog! Thanks for heightening our excitement! Enjoy, and we will enjoy vicariously through you!

Here is our cabin tour video

Have a fab cruise thank :cool:you for showing us your cabin we are on Equinox on the 5th October we are going to Key west the last day

We got to the port at roughly 10:30. It took less than 15 minutes for us to make it through security and check in. We stood around for 15 minutes until about 11 and then they started letting Suite passengers on followed by us. I’d say we were on board by 11:05 or 11:10. We always like showing up early and wandering the ship to see if we know any of the staff before it gets too crowded.

We had roughly the same experience this past January boarding Equinox. We had planned on arriving at port just before 11, taxi got us there sooner than we expected. Very little in the way of lines inside terminal, longest was security and initial passport and ticket review. Dropped off bags about 10:30-40, sparkling drink in hand by 11:05.

I submitted claim from Chase Sapphire Reserve card before.The Max is 5K per person for travels cost.For medical you need to purchase separately.

I use Geo Blue annually for medical and evaculations.I also submitted claim once before while was hospitalized oversea with no problem.Just give your Insurance information to Hospital and they do the rest. with Zero problem on either side.

The max is $10,000 per person. We used it twice in the past two years when we had to cancel because of a health issue. They were so easy to deal with. We also get an annual medical policy that covers evacuation.

The Chase Sapphire is an excellent credit card. Especially when you can transfer points 1:1 to your hotel loyalty program such as Hyatt.

Sent from my iPad using Forums