LIVE BLOG! From the EQUINOX - AUG 25th Sailing - CHICAGOPAUL

chicagopaul

We had a wonderful evening and I’ll discuss all the details in the morning. But right now I need to mention a thought. We met a wonderful couple from Holland. The wife spoke great English, the husband was limited. The wife’s mother passed away today. She was only 72. When we arrive in Aruba she is flying back.

As we chatted with her she was in great spirits. She is a wonderful person. We ordered a last drink and cheers her mother. I could tell it meant a great deal to her. She was so wonderful and I am sure her mother was the same.

As we travel it’s moments like this that remind me how much of a gift life is. Every morning is a new day that for some did not even start. We are all so lucky.

So with this I hope you all have a great evening / early morning. As I watch the lighting strike off the ship at 1:30am I’ll check in with you all in about he morning for a full recap of tonight and tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Safe travels and prayers to your new friend. I think we all need to be reminded how precious life is.

Norma

We had a wonderful evening and I’ll discuss all the details in the morning. But right now I need to mention a thought. We met a wonderful couple from Holland. The wife spoke great English, the husband was limited. The wife’s mother passed away today. She was only 72. When we arrive in Aruba she is flying back.

As we chatted with her she was in great spirits. She is a wonderful person. We ordered a last drink and cheers her mother. I could tell it meant a great deal to her. She was so wonderful and I am sure her mother was the same.

As we travel it’s moments like this that remind me how much of a gift life is. Every morning is a new day that for some did not even start. We are all so lucky.

So with this I hope you all have a great evening / early morning. As I watch the lighting strike off the ship at 1:30am I’ll check in with you all in about he morning for a full recap of tonight and tomorrow morning.

Good morning and thanks for taking us along. I can't believe I'm already seven pages behind! As always, I'm looking forward to a great review. I'm especially anxious to hear about your adventure with Captain Kate...and BugNaked!

Susan

You were onboard the President's cruise on Equinox about a year ago when my kids were the high cruisers !!!

Sent from my LGUS997 using Forums mobile app

Ah yes that’s right! We didn’t make it to the meet and greet because we forgot to sign up! We’re at the sunset each morning (here right now) so swing on up here if you have time!

Last night we started at the Martini Bar of course, and then had dinner in Murano. It was less crowded than the previous night.

We had the same waiter and he remembered we liked the cheese plate to start. I think our cheese plate came out in less than a minute. Maybe he had it already prepared??

I then had the Risotto and Edward had the goat cheese soufflé. I had the duck and Edward had the veal. My duck was very good but personally it wasn’t my favorite. Just a personal preference on the preparation but the execution of it was spot on.

For dessert we shared a chocolate soufflé which was phenomenal. Truly cooked perfectly.

f1ba2ce00ea4e97d12a05ec3223e4678.jpg

75f63e62b4f4ee6bce64a9a6b8187a3e.jpg

96511f2647ece9e442fc9fdc24c7e8dd.jpg

e8d0c77343f139dd996dbe33ecfeb5b7.jpg

Just before dinner we stopped in Ensemble for a glass of champagne and to listen to the solo guitarist. Sean Roach I believe is his name? He is fantastic. Great song selection and you can tell he really enjoys what he’s doing. I think we will make it a regular stop before dinner to listen to him.

After dinner we decided against cigars and just martini bar. It was a choice we’d regret in the morning. Lots of drinking! We met some new friends and had great conversation. Exactly what we enjoy about late nights on the ship.

I was also put to work. Boon at the martini bar needed help fixing his tie so I was happy to help.

55e017c0b731078e8cfa25d06f789c90.jpeg

18edd3e358fd6047b807357dcec9214c.jpeg

Suggestion: The barber currently on Equinox is a terrific guy from Turkey. He's something like 3rd generation of barbers and gives the best straight razor shave I've ever experienced. Seriously an awesome experience. He takes pride in his work. It's a really nice way to spend 45 minutes and your face will feel great.

happy travels!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of Aruba. My son and family lived there in 2001/2002, when he worked at the Oil Refinery. I spent 3 weeks there, visiting.

We went back on a cruise in 2013 ( Eclipse) and were sad to see that the refinery had shut. The refining was transferred to Curaçao, but we didn’t make it in there, due to high winds.

Good Morning Paul. Thank you for being a compassionate, caring person and offering a toast to their loved one. My husband John is a Stage IV cancer survivor. There were days when I didn't know if he would survive let alone be able to cruise again together. We never take a minute of this wonderful life we have been given together for granted. We take many moments when we are cruising and stop to reflect how fortunate we are and know that tomorrow is promised to no one.

If you could - can you let me know what the port day specials are for the spa? We have some on board credit that I would like to use. Have a great day! Wanda

Hello again Paul

You mentioned the Maitre D’ for Specialities I think he was in charge of Luminae last Oct/Nov on Eclipse T/A. We had cruised on Connie with a waiter called Tony and went to say Hi —discovered we knew the Maitre D’ from about 4 years ago. I am sure it’s the guy who is looking after you in Murano. Hope he is also on for our B2B in

Oct/Nov

Liz

I am very excited to read your LIVE review! I find your writing style and unique perspective very enjoyable. We will be sailing on Equinox for the first time in October so that makes your review even more satisfying to read, knowing what we have to look forward to. Thank you for taking the substantial time and effort required to share your trip. Enjoy your vacation!

Great review so far. Following along. Can't wait to hear about your experience on this one, but I am waiting anxiously for the Reflection review in November. We are on the same ship in January for 14 nights.

All your reviews are fantastic and I enjoy them very much.

Have a great rest of the cruise!

Even though we have been on the Equinox and will be again in a couple of weeks, I still love reading your reviews! What other bartenders besides Boon are at the martini bar? Will he still be there for awhile? It’s a bummer that the ones I know from that past aren’t there, but looking forward to meeting the new guys! We also spend a lot of time there ;)

Safe travels to you! Hope you love Aruba! We go there every year for our land vacation so looking forward to getting there and just relaxing at our place.

One item to note is that Caymus is now available by the glass for $25. So only $10 extra (plus grat). We will definitely be ordering a great deal of it. The Napa Chardonnay I had in Murano by the glass was also excellent. Here is a photo of the wine list by the glass.

3a286e18e24f15cabfa16c239a233239.jpg

Almost the same list as in Luminae on Summit two weeks ago. The Caymus is well worth the $10 upcharge. Try the Freemark Abbey; also quite good, and the Grgich Chardonnay is very good. Our Sommelier had us try the NED Suav Blanc, nice

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your fantastic live blogs! Last year we were a few weeks behind you on the Eclipse and now we’re a few months behind you on the Equinox ( first time ).

My husband has finally committed to Celebrity cruises as our primary vacations. JOY! After the Eclipse last December, the premium beverage package, free WiFi and the Sunset Bar’s beautiful area to smoke cigars ( as you know ) won him over.

Last time, you also answered my questions about the bars and socializing and I was more comfortable enjoying time talking with my fellow passengers.

Enjoy your trip ! And thanks for sharing . You have many people who are now enjoying it through you !

Margaret