Which Cruise???

JordanAllison

Hello friends!

My husband and I are between two Alaska cruises - Princess in late June or Carnival in early July. Itineraries and pricing are very comparable but we just can't decide! It's the Star Princess vs. the Carnival Legend. We have cruised on Carnival before but never Princess. We like to eat and drink and take advantage of on-board activities but aren't "night club" people. Please help us decide!

Princess ..... Better cruiseline, better food, better service. The question is why wouldn't you choose the better line since you haven't tried Princess yet. No brainer to me .........

Once on Princess was once too much. The ship was littered with recent arrivals to the middle class with delusions of grandeur. This was by far the most pretentious group of phonies it has been my displeasure to be around on any cruise line including Cunard's QE2.

OP, I think Carnival's Spirit Class ships, of which the Legend is one, are a perfect size for passenger comfort and ease of getting about. The interior space ratio per passenger is the greatest on this class of ship.

Whatever you decide have fun and enjoy the majestic beauty that is our 49th state.

I prefer Carnival over Princess for the food, better quality and variety. Carnival has more fun atmosphere, but I expect would be toned down on an Alaskan. I do enjoy Princess for the elegant atmosphere and decor. They also have better drink prices than Carnival. I’ve been on more Princess than Carnival, but lately am booking Carnival since I was very disappointed with Princess dining on my last. Princess has a large variety of fish options every night in MDR. I am not a fish person so that didn’t leave many options.

The OP states the itineraries are comparable, but if Princess goes into Glacier Bay and Carnival doesn't, that could be the decider. We picked Princess for our land/cruise tour, simply because Princess (and Holland) have mastered those logistics seamlessly. We felt a 7 night one way was better than a RT as well.

It really depends on your preferences. Most people would tend to tell you Princess because it is a "higher class product". Based off of the info you shared, I might tend to agree that it might be best for you as non-nightclub people. Also, why not give it a try? Perhaps you will like it better.

There are still many instances where people would prefer Carnival over Princess though.

Princess is known as the leader in Alaska. It is a more classic cruise experience with true formal nights. Because of the beauty and serenity of Alaska, I think the feel of Princess is better suited for this type of cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

i have two friends (from two very different groups of friends) who cruise Princess-for the cabins! They say that the food is not as good as Carnival.

We cruised Alaska on Carnival two years ago September-we choose the last cruise of the season, because it went to Glacier Bay. I noticed no night life, everyone is on that cruise to see the state. I saw no drunks, no wild revelers, in fact to tell you the truth, all I wanted to see was Alaska, and all the critters. And that is what I saw. I think you should choose what you can afford, and with that I mean excursions too-go hog wild, because you may never get the opportunity to do it again, and if you can, choose the ship that offers Glacier Bay if it is an option.

When we went to Alaska we went with Princess. On the 1st sea day they had a Naturalist who was very informative about what we would see and what sites to see. As we entered Glacier Bay the ship pick up a State Ranger who gave us info about the glacier. Don't worry about formal night just dress neatly as if going to church. The food was very good but entertainment was notall that good in the bars and lounges. The main shows were good.