Alcohol cut off?

DCLCrazy

Story time> We went on the Pirate ship adventure in St. Lucia.

We brought eye patches swords scarfs etc. for the crew. fun time!

Free 4 ounce cups of Rum Punch and Rum and cokes.

One guy lost his pants totally (naykid) and a Grandma had to be carried off

when we got back. Someone said she had 3 dozen punches. Watching all

the drunks come running as the ship pulls away is always a fun thing to do as you leave port in Cozumel> check it out on youtube> drunks missing ships, etc. While the Captain sits on the Horn... :D

Happens everyday. I am sure staff would refund your dinner or re-schedule

another dining experience for you if you let them know what happened.

Let's see> Unlimited drinking? What could happen? :cool:

It's always 5 O'clock on the ship.

We're the Moore's

Tampa Bay

Yet to see any vomit on board NCL to date. We did have three girls from a RCCL ship wasted at Balmoral beach when we were there. One started puking in the sand in the lounger row in front of us. We moved. We met people at dinner who were also at Balmoral at the same time and took the same ferry those girls did back to port. They said the girl puked the whole time. The ferry was packed with no where to move to, so they had to lift their feet up the whole time. Blech!

The worst bunch of drunks we ever saw was on a Holland America ship years before there was a drink package ....Pacific Coastal 3 day cruise ...One guy we named pool boy ( he would drink at the pool and sing loudly ) was always drunk and buying drinks for everyone ...the day we disembarked we saw him on the dock ....he was so hung over and probably saw his bar bill ...he was not a happy guy anymore lol ...

Most recent drunk incident for me on a cruise was in Cozumel. I was sitting on a bench relaxing while dw shopped when two huge guys, 6 foot plus and at least 400 pounds, shirtless and drunk as a skunk came stumbling by. The least drunk of the two helped hold up the other who appeared to be nearly passed out. With the help of a female companion they managed to drag him aboard their Carnival ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Doug R.

Wow, I have been on 67 NCL cruises in 10 years and have never seen a single incidence of vomit. Stupid, loud, irrational and rude behavior, yes.

We thought it was going to be a trend for a while there. One "spill" was behind the trash can outside the elevators and was fresh and undiscovered, so we alerted a crew member. The other two times were in near cabins; one at the foot of the stairs being guarded by a crew member who was waiting for the clean up crew and the other one was in the middle of the hallway. Three cruises in a row and one was on a ship I swear was full of octogenarians (late fall New England cruise on the Gem out of NYC). But the last cruise on the Jewel saw no barf anywhere, so we think we broke the string of puke-i-tude.

We are currently on the Sun and there’s an open bar. For the most part, everyone has been behaving themselves. But, tonight at Teppenyaki, we had someone in their 20s pretty damn close to alcohol poisoning. He almost puked on the common table. Luckily he got up and went to the bathroom. It really made me lose my appetite. At what point does NCL cut people off?? This guy was clearly drunk. Slurred words, eyes almost shut, had trouble focusing, etc. If NCL isn’t careful, they’re bound to have a death on their hands. Public service announcement: if that drunk was you, it’s not a good look and you should be rethinking your priorities. And don’t give me the “he’s on vacation, let him enjoy himself” lecture, because his enjoyment ruined our $70 dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No one is going to lecture you ,but it is a thin line as to when someone is cut off if the program is unlimited booze. It is up to the individual and those traveling with him to cut him off. Unless he actually is falling down drunk, I don't know what can be done. I do understand what you are saying, but I understand the other side of this as well.

Our 2 grand daughters were cruising with us many years ago: one was celebrating her 21st birthday and they choose to take the booze cruise rum excursion. Both came back totally blasted. Both, went straight to their cabin and both felt terrible the next day, plus were embarrassed. No, this didn't happen on the ship, but it did happen. BTW, one is a tea tottler now. Kids will do pretty stupid things. I know I did when I was a kid.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Its probably a very rare event for a cruise ship to cut someone off. Unlike land bars or nightclubs, its much harder to keep track of someone's drinking when there are over 20 bars scattered all over the ship. Since no one is driving that risk is removed.

Some people can drink 6 martinis and walk a straight line. Others have 2 drinks and slur their words. Drunks are annoying creatures when they bother other people. Happy drunks are ok if they can keep quiet. Once I saw a drunk staggering and falling towards the Cagney's hostess. He kept saying that the meal he ate there the night before was not really that good and he wanted his money back. LMAO. He ate the entire meal and then complains 24 hours later. I felt bad because he was not angry but relentless with engaging with her. She was the ultimate professional but he was interrupting her job because she could not seat people with his nonsense. He was slurring and almost falling over. And he was a BIG guy.

My husband and I just did the Sun itinerary to Havana. Aside from a few loud (i.e. happy-drunk) groups we noticed on the first day, it didn't really negatively impact our experience. What did surprise us, however, was the tolerance of many of the older (appearing) cruisers! I can't tell you the number of 70+ year old guests who were double fisting bloody marys at 9am... I guess some people use their retirement to work on their tolerance!

We're in our early 30s and aren't heavy drinkers, but it was really nice to not have to worry about paying for drinks. When we did our first cruise for our honeymoon we somehow racked up at least $500 in bar bills on a 7 night cruise. We didn't even drink that much... it just added up so quickly! It's hard to imagine going back to paying per drink.

So, yeah, this happens everywhere, sorry. To avoid such situations, I'd say sticking with Holland America or Disney will have the best odds.

I also note the thread starter's name. On my last Disney cruise (might have been the one before that), there was vomit EVERYWHERE one night. Due to turbulent waters. During the show, people were puking in the aisles constantly and up at the entrances cuz they couldn't make the restrooms.

Vomit can happen anywhere on a cruise ship and it's not always related to alcohol (ie Norovirus). Disney and any other line isn't exempt.

My wife and I were on the Sky last year sitting in the Plantation Club, waiting for the bar and sushi to open. As the bartender was going through a clipboard of paperwork, he pulled out a Wanted style poster with photos of two women on it. The poster advised that the two were not to be served any alcohol at any bar on the ship. We both wondered how bad you had to have been to be cut off on an open bar ship.