Quebec city Hotel

Kyard1

We are flying into Quebec city on Oct. 18th, a day before our cruise. Can anyone suggest a hotel for the night. And should we stay close to the airport and take a taxi to the cruise port the next day? Or get a hotel closer to the port when we arrive? Our flight arrives at 10 PM.

Downtown hotel definitely - traffic late at night will be no bother so much quicker getting there. Unless you booked a walkable hotel at the airport, but the time you call a shuttle to come get you you will probably end up not getting to your room any quicker than heading downtown right away.

Which hotel... I've only stayed in relatively fancy ones in recent years, courtesy of conferences and the like, so depending what your budget is my info may be of no use to you. If your budget stretches you cannot do better than the Fairmont for location - the only downside is that from inside it you can't see it, and it's one of the most iconic parts of the city skyline! To be fair not many Quebec hotels can see it well either - a ferry ride over to the Levis side is needed to get the photo that you'll see on all the postcards. If memory serves, it was the Best Western City Centre that was our last budget hotel in QC - at least a decade ago, but it still seems to have pretty solid reviews. It was a mile extra to most of the sights, but plenty restos nearby and a heckuvalot cheaper than the Fairmont!

We are flying into Quebec city on Oct. 18th, a day before our cruise. Can anyone suggest a hotel for the night. And should we stay close to the airport and take a taxi to the cruise port the next day? Or get a hotel closer to the port when we arrive? Our flight arrives at 10 PM.

You’re arriving in Quebec at 10 pm. By the time you clear customs, pick up your luggage and start moving it’s going to be darn near 11 pm. Why bother going downtown at that time of night? Just stay at the Comfort Inn near the airport and make your way to the cruise terminal in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree

stay near the airport then go in the morning to the port

You could drop your bags & take a walk around the old town before checking in at the ship

By going to town at night you are not going to see much in the dark anyway

JMO

Why go to a hotel near the port at 11 pm?

-Old Québec will still be hopping at that time of night;

-there's something magical about seeing the city at night, all lit up;

-the next morning, you can have a leisurely stroll around before checking out and going to the port.

I posted a while back a list of small boutique hotels walking distance from the port - can't repost now because I'm on my phone, but will try to later.

We didn't get to the hotel until almost 11 pm in the lower old town and there was nothing open and

no place to eat.

I’m sorry to hear that you couldn’t find a place to eat after 11PM. Many restaurants do close before then, but there are dozens in Old Québec that do stay open late, some to 3AM. I’m surprised that your hotel didn’t suggest where you might find one.

Certainly someone looking for a late meal would have a much better chance in town than at an airport hotel, many of which don’t have restaurants or even snack bars open that late, if at all.

My recommendation would be to stay in town for the reasons Twickenham has noted.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 6 months later...
On 8/28/2018 at 11:54 AM, Twickenham said:

Why go to a hotel near the port at 11 pm?

-Old Québec will still be hopping at that time of night;

-there's something magical about seeing the city at night, all lit up;

-the next morning, you can have a leisurely stroll around before checking out and going to the port.

I posted a while back a list of small boutique hotels walking distance from the port - can't repost now because I'm on my phone, but will try to later.

I would be very interested in this list of small boutique hotels within walking distance of pier, if you could share it or point me to the thread that has it. 

Thank you!  Looking forward to visiting Quebec in October, 2019!!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

5 hours ago, sunsetbeachgal said:

I would be very interested in this list of small boutique hotels within walking distance of pier, if you could share it or point me to the thread that has it. 

Thank you!  Looking forward to visiting Quebec in October, 2019!!

Here you go! In order of distance from the main terminal (which serves Wharves 22 & 21):

Le Port-Royal

Le Germain Hotel

Hotel 71

Auberge Saint-Antoine

Hotel Le Priori

Auberge Saint-Pierre

If your ship departs from Wharf 30, you can add Hotel Le Saint-Paul into the mix - it faces Wharf 30, although it's a bit of a hike if you want to walk it, so you might want to get a taxi.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2019 at 5:20 PM, Twickenham said:

Here you go! In order of distance from the main terminal (which serves Wharves 22 & 21):

Le Port-Royal

Le Germain Hotel

Hotel 71

Auberge Saint-Antoine

Hotel Le Priori

Auberge Saint-Pierre

If your ship departs from Wharf 30, you can add Hotel Le Saint-Paul into the mix - it faces Wharf 30, although it's a bit of a hike if you want to walk it, so you might want to get a taxi.

Thank you!  We booked the Hotel Le Priori.  Looks like a lovely hotel and in a very good location. 

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to decide if we will fly in to Quebec City day before or day of. Flight can get in as early as 10am so was wondering if anyone knows if we can get a taxi from airport, take us on a little sightseeing tour and drop us off at the cruise terminal. I've been to YQB but hubby hasn't. Thanks.

Unless you both speak good French, it'll be very random how good a tour any given cabbie can provide (we've experienced few Quebec City cabbies with more than very basic English for payment/simple directions). Plus, there's no way any cabbie is going to drive anything other than the most direct/fastest route since inbound fare is fixed from YQB to Downtown - so you'd need to negotiate for a different rate to cover the extra distance/time/tour-guiding.

If hubby has never visited, I'd say go in a day early (or even two days early) - you can re-experience the sights through his eyes!

• 2 weeks later...

We will be going in two days early, so will have one full day in QC plus the cruise day. I am a Hilton Honors member, is that hotel terrible? I know it's not a boutique hotel but it wasn't a bad price for a larger junior suite. Location wise, is it close to what you might want to walk to the next day? It's the regular Hilton, looks like a regular Hilton. 

On 8/27/2018 at 12:14 PM, Kyard1 said:

try le priori. wonderful hotel and staff

On 4/26/2019 at 7:33 PM, amypete said:

We will be going in two days early, so will have one full day in QC plus the cruise day. I am a Hilton Honors member, is that hotel terrible? I know it's not a boutique hotel but it wasn't a bad price for a larger junior suite. Location wise, is it close to what you might want to walk to the next day? It's the regular Hilton, looks like a regular Hilton. 

The Hilton is considered to be one of the top hotels in the city.

I believe there's a restaurant on one of the top floors, from which you should be able to see your ship in dock.

9 hours ago, Twickenham said:

The Hilton is considered to be one of the top hotels in the city.

I believe there's a restaurant on one of the top floors, from which you should be able to see your ship in dock.

Happy to  hear that! It may not be a grand historic hotel but it's a known brand. And I'll get points, always about the points. We are staying at a more historic hotel in NYC when the cruise is over so can get character points then. LOL