Buying Spices and Chocolate

RoyalFan2011

We have a stop in Grenada the week of Thanksgiving. Are people able to buy the local spices and chocolate and bring them back on the ship? I thought those might be some great Christmas presents. I have seen posts about buying rum, but can’t find information on buying spices and chocolate. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Absolutely! You can buy both of those things. If you buy a spice necklace ( great gifts) be sure to bring large ziplock bags to seal them in. They are very fragrant!!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

But don't leave them in the plastic too long they will mold. Put them into paper bags as soon as you can. A lot of the ladies will give you paper when you buy them, as opposed to the plastic.

Leave the little marketplace outside the terminal and walk towards town (through the tunnel) for better prices.

• Like 1

Agree with the previous poster - don't use plastic bags as they will go mouldy which would be a shame.

Things to buy in Grenada that are unique are our spices, our chocolate and some of our hot sauces :-) We have a fabulous chocolate museum in town that serves coffee and all things chocolate - very yummy:*

• Like 1

Agree with the previous poster - don't use plastic bags as they will go mouldy which would be a shame.

Things to buy in Grenada that are unique are our spices, our chocolate and some of our hot sauces :-) We have a fabulous chocolate museum in town that serves coffee and all things chocolate - very yummy:*

How far is the walk from where ship docks? Would like to visit the museum. And of course get some chocolate.;) . Directions??

5 minutes stroll I would say. Come out of cruise ship terminal and turn right, walk through the Sendall Tunnel (if has traffic so hug the right hand side). When you come out follow the road but keep left going past the museum. Take a left and just up on the left is the Chocolate Museum. Go in, Say hello, grab a chair, put feet up and relax with all things chocolatey!! :cool:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/6/2018 at 1:11 PM, IslandStar said:

5 minutes stroll I would say. Come out of cruise ship terminal and turn right, walk through the Sendall Tunnel (if has traffic so hug the right hand side). When you come out follow the road but keep left going past the museum. Take a left and just up on the left is the Chocolate Museum. Go in, Say hello, grab a chair, put feet up and relax with all things chocolatey!! 🆒

Hi IslandStar,

If we don't want to deal with walking thru the tunnel with traffic, could we get a cab, do you think?

Thanks

Liz

On 8/28/2018 at 9:20 AM, EatonDoolittle said:

But don't leave them in the plastic too long they will mold. Put them into paper bags as soon as you can. A lot of the ladies will give you paper when you buy them, as opposed to the plastic.

Leave the little marketplace outside the terminal and walk towards town (through the tunnel) for better prices.

Absoluely!  Get your spice necklaces into paper bags ASAP!  

10 hours ago, Ellizabeth said:

Hi IslandStar,

If we don't want to deal with walking thru the tunnel with traffic, could we get a cab, do you think?

Thanks

Liz

you could but definitely not worth it as will take you longer in traffic in our one way system to bring you to the museum. The tunnel is only 350ft long - you'll be fine🙂

43 minutes ago, Ellizabeth said:

Thank you.

You are most welcome. I actually thought about a nice little walking tour. through the tunnel and right for a view of our Carenage. Then back up road to the choc museum and well earned coffee 🙂 afterwards walk up hill 50 feet and on your right is Lilo's Batik shop (lovely stuff in there), another 50 feet up and on your right is Maria's glass jewellery store and coffee house. Then its an easy hill to the fort for a wander about and some great views and then back down the stairs to your ship

• 4 months later...

Sorry to hijack this thread, but IslandStar, it seems you live in Grenada? We are coming for our first time in January 2020. Any other must do’s there? The Chocolate factory and coffee sound perfect to me.... and I definitely want to pick up some nutmegs and a spice necklace. We like snorkeling, adventure, tours, walking, whatever....

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest that you get Tom’s Port Guide. It can be downloaded from the internet. It’s a great guide on how to get around the port. He has several ports that he offers the guide and the best part is it’s free.

We got lots of spices and chocolate on our visit to Grenada in December.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 5/22/2019 at 4:21 PM, Airrace said:

I would suggest that you get Tom’s Port Guide. It can be downloaded from the internet. It’s a great guide on how to get around the port. He has several ports that he offers the guide and the best part is it’s free.

We got lots of spices and chocolate on our visit to Grenada in December.

Wow Tom's Guide is very informative! Thanks for the tip!!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 7/21/2021 at 6:31 PM, ClevelandCruisin said:

In the port mall, you can purchase spices. Not sure they were money friendly,  but we got some to take home.

Is the port mall before you reach the tunnel, or do you have to go through the tunnel to get there?

You go through the port mall as soon as you exit the ship. Unless you pick up a cab or tour right there, it's the only way to get outside. 

Once outside, you will see the ladies in their kiosks.

From there, follow the road to the right, and you'll see the the tunnel. 

The Carenage  and "downtown" are on the other side of the tunnel. 

It's a wonderful town to explore. 

2 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

You go through the port mall as soon as you exit the ship. Unless you pick up a cab or tour right there, it's the only way to get outside. 

Once outside, you will see the ladies in their kiosks.

From there, follow the road to the right, and you'll see the the tunnel. 

The Carenage  and "downtown" are on the other side of the tunnel. 

It's a wonderful town to explore. 

Thank you.   On our Southern cruise, this really is the only port where we plan on just walking around instead of doing an excursion.    It was added to our itinerary last month in place of Bonaire.   

Just to add, as one exits the tunnel, downtown market stalls are on the other side of sea inlet (bay) and turn right about halfway up, you’ll not miss it.   Wander and enjoy.

Additional 

If of interest, as one exits the tunnel and turns right, about 50 yards down on the right, is a white building with a small door.  This is a Supermarket, worth a look just out of interest and one might find what one wishes pre-packed.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Additional
  • Like 1