Notice of Beverage Pkg Discount?

sailing sue

I am new to HAL with a Nieuw Statendam cruise booked for April 2019. Will HAL email me when there is a discount on the Beverage Package and Shore Excursions? I receive these periodically from RCI and Celebrity. So far, no emails from HAL.

Like you said, we get the discount emails from RCL almost on a weekly basis on our upcoming cruise. The percentage almost never changes. HAL doesn't do this, as other have remarked. But, if your cruise now offers, or will offer the Explorer 4 package as you get closer to sailing, you can ask your TA to inquire what the upcharge would be. We did that for last May's Alaska cruise and were pleasantly surprised that the add on price was way less than if we had just purchased the SBP.

As far as shore excursions are concerned we've never seen HAL offer any. But they have lowered their prices somewhat. I guess the local tour operators continue to cut into HALs customer base and they are responding.

Dan

I have a cruise booked. There is a $5 per day discount if I pre-book the SBP -

"Prices are per day at $44.95 if pre-booked online compared to $49.95 if purchased on board. A 15% service charge will be automatically applied to your purchase."

The Signature Beverage Package is $5/pp/day less of booked in advance, but I think you're referring to a % discount. We've gotten those discount codes in the past. They were for 10% or 15% off excursions. I didn't get one for our 2018 cruise.

But I did save 15% off a clamshell rental at Half Moon Cay in 2014. That saved me a whopping $2.25!

I have a cruise booked. There is a $5 per day discount if I pre-book the SBP -

"Prices are per day at $44.95 if pre-booked online compared to $49.95 if purchased on board. A 15% service charge will be automatically applied to your purchase."

You actually save $5.75/day when you factor in the service charge differential. If you're on a week-long cruise, we're talking big bag of Peanut M&Ms money! :D

Thanks for pointing this out -- This makes SBP suddenly break even for DH and I (at least for days on the ship).

The original (and current) price for the SBP is $44.95 a day, plus the 15% service charge, totaling $51.70 per day. In January 2017, HAL started charging a $5 per day PENALTY for buying the SBP onboard. Prior to Jan 2017, the $51.70 per day price was the same, purchased online, ahead of the cruise or purchased onboard. The reason for the $5 per day penalty is that HAL found out that many people were purchasing the SBP with their HAL provided free cabin credits. Compared to other onboard purchases like the SPA, shore excursions, art, and photos, beverages have a much smaller markup. HAL would rather have you use your onboard credit to buy high markup items, and spend your own cash to buy the SBP in advance of the cruise. It is NOT a discount, it is a penalty. Very strange, the Elite Beverage Package costs the same ($54.95 per day plus 15%), if you buy it online or onboard.