Cape Liberty tightens power strip rules

Mythbuster

Last week when going through security at Cape Liberty my 3 plug adapter was confiscated by security. They told me ALL adapters and extension plugs regardless of whether they have surge protection or not are no longer allowed. This was in my carry-on so I don't know if you can get them in checked bags. Mine was a simple 1 to 3 plug adapter with no cord or on/off switch.

Once on the ship I asked my butler for a power strip which was provided last year. I was told by the Suite Manager they are no longer allowed to provide multi-plug strips. They can only provide a single plug extension cord for those having a CPAP machine.

At the end of the cruise, I went to claim my plug and saw a table filled with similar plugs to mine and extension cords which had been allowed in the past.

That stinks! We were on the Summit last week too. We had 2 cabins and were able to bring 3 separate small power strips all without issue. Each one was checked in a different bag.

Maybe this type is okay?

https://amzn.to/2NBZtSk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly the same one I brought aboard in my carry on...

bon voyage

That stinks! We were on the Summit last week too. We had 2 cabins and were able to bring 3 separate small power strips all without issue. Each one was checked in a different bag.

Maybe this type is okay?

8cc36834a0bdac80c8abad6c9d9e7952.png

I took this one on the repo from NJ to San Juan last year. No problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe this type is okay?

It shouldn't be OK!. The description of the device clearly states that it has surge protection, which is a big nono on ships.

Paging PCHENG for clarification.

Here is the one they confiscated. I had another that was buried deeper in my bag he did not find. He would have taken anything that looked like a plug. I asked what types are acceptable and he quickly said none any more.

41D6D3QW4HL.jpg

If you got one through it was luck. Like I said he found one of mine and didn't find another.

My concern is less the plug but charging my phone, tablet, camera batteries etc. As long has they still allow that we can make due.

There were 3 outlets in the cabin so we were able to alternate charging our devices without much of an issue. I did try a USB hub charger but could never get it to charge properly. It was new so I don't know if it was the charger or the ship's current.

We have been on 26 Celebrity cruises and 4 RCCL and have never brought a power strip, etc. Two cell phones, 2 tablets, 2 electric toothbrushes and 1 camera battery. We just alternate charging.

Congratulations to you...we have been on quite a few also (elite plus...have no idea exactly how many cruises we have been on), but we need a multiple 3-1 plug.

Here is the one they confiscated. I had another that was buried deeper in my bag he did not find. He would have taken anything that looked like a plug. I asked what types are acceptable and he quickly said none any more.

41D6D3QW4HL.jpg

If you got one through it was luck. Like I said he found one of mine and didn't find another.

This is the same one we used in February on The Reflection no problems.

That Belkin in the above thread has a surge protector and that is eligible.

This is the same one we used in February on The Reflection no problems.

That Belkin in the above thread has a surge protector and that is eligible.

I really think it is port specific. The security is not handled by Celebrity, it's local port employees interpreting Celebrities policies. My point of this thread is to alert those leaving from Cape Liberty that they are tightening their carry-on searches. If they don't see it, your home free, if they find it, it will be taken. It's luck of the draw.

Edited by Mythbuster

There were 3 outlets in the cabin so we were able to alternate charging our devices without much of an issue. I did try a USB hub charger but could never get it to charge properly. It was new so I don't know if it was the charger or the ship's current.

It was most probably the charger. I've used a 5 port USB hub charger on my last 4 X cruises on 4 different ships without issue to charge our 2 phones, tablets and Kindles without issue. Its a single plug non surge protected hub purchased on Amazon made by Lumsing.

HI

this is from the port site:

Security

All items, vehicles and persons will be subject to security screening.

The following items are prohibited by the terminal: firearms, ammunition, imitation or replica weapons, explosives or explosive component parts such as detonators, fireworks or pyrotechnics, knives , taser (electronic stun guns), pepper or mace sprays, telescopic or regular batons, handcuffs, flammable or explosive liquids, undocumented service animals, aerial drones, hover boards, clothing irons, extension cords and Samsung Galaxy Note7.

For all other prohibited items, please check with your cruise line. Terminal security will confiscate any prohibited items as deemed by the cruise line.

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/passenger_info.html#security

Interesting that there is no non-surge protected multi-plug device like the orange one pictured above listed as being prohibited. It is not an extension cord. I would protest loudly!

So protesting loudly got this response: "Sir you have a choice, you may get on the ship without the plug or leave the port with the plug, your choice!" He was employed by the port not Celebrity Cruise lines and told me if Celebrity had told me it was approved then I should contact them but the port was NOT going to allow it on the ship. When I claimed it after the cruise there were many more of them on the table just like mine along with the ones other posters here have described or pictured as being ok.

Maybe this type is okay?

This one clearly has surge protection. I would be concerned if they *didn't* confiscate it.

Maybe this type is okay?

Security at Cape Liberty confiscated just that one from me in July. I was on Anthem of the Seas, not Celebrity, but I would assume the same thing would hold for Celebrity.