But...what about Nicaragua!

JimnKaren

I'm likely the odd man out but I would enjoy a cruise that went nowhere. If I could sail for 10 days or more and never had a port stop except for the last one back where I started it would be a good cruise for me. I just love cruising. :D

Agreed ! I love days at sea, and I like cruises with lots of sea days and few port stops. But, I'm concerned about my family members who really like port stops and might get bored with days at sea. For myself, I'm happy just sitting on the balcony, watching the ever-changing ocean. - EBC

The warnings for the Mexican ports are about criminal gang activity which really has not affected the 100s of snow birds from the USA and Canada who spend the winter in those cities. It has not affected day time visits from cruisers either. IF you read the warnings carefully the specify which areas of those cities are a problem and most of the tourist areas where cruisers go during the day are just fine!

I have just read on the Nicaragua forum of Trip Advisor, that things are getting back to normal there with barricades down on the roads and the coastal areas being quite safe.

I will keep reading to see how things progress but hoping that by December when I am there it will be OK.

Edited by riffatsea

Pacific Princess in May cancelled Nicaragua and we stopped at Puerto Chiapas instead. I have been to Corinto, San Juan del Sur and Puerto Chiapas so nothing big in the way of surprises.

I am looking forward to my 22-day itinerary. I am not grousing about anything other than the fact that Princess is not committing to anything within 30 days of sailing. What are they waiting for? Why won't they just make a decision and go with it?

Jim

Pacific Princess in May cancelled Nicaragua and we stopped at Puerto Chiapas instead. I have been to Corinto, San Juan del Sur and Puerto Chiapas so nothing big in the way of surprises.

I am looking forward to my 22-day itinerary. I am not grousing about anything other than the fact that Princess is not committing to anything within 30 days of sailing. What are they waiting for? Why won't they just make a decision and go with it?

Jim

Have you not read the previous posts about why Princess is possibly waiting till the last minute?

This happened to me after the attempted coup in Turkey. Suddenly it was replaced by a stop in Montenegro. It was even before the State Department warning but no more stops there since. I had been to Turkey before but it was the main reason for that particular cruise. I would definitely say cross Nicaragua off the list. Turkey to my knowledge is no longer a stop for any US cruise line and this is several years later. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will be on Island Princess in mid-September, going to Ft. Lauderdale. We are 'scheduled' to be in Nicaragua on October 2. I was on Pacific Princess in May and our stop in Nicaragua became a stop in Mexico instead. My emails to customer service at Princess have resulted in one response. A phone call from a rep who indicated that they will not commit to not stopping in Nicaragua until our cruise is underway! What? Why?

The rep indicated that he would be 'surprised' if we actually stopped there. BUT, Princess Cruises is taking the high road. They don't want to offend the people of Nicaragua by letting them know that their cruise ships will not stop there due to the civil unrest. What? Why?

So, it appears that I will be stuck with whatever Princess Cruises decides to do. If we stop in Mexico, I cannot plan ahead. If we stop nowhere on that date, I can only sit on the ship and mope (I am good at that), or they can actually stop in San Juan del Sur and hope that none of their paying passengers get caught up in the horrors that have been a part of the country since April of this year. What? Why?

Jim

What? Why? Because...... Life happens.....travel is an adventure....go with the flow...surprised your expectations are so high after all your travels.

What? Why? Because...... Life happens.....travel is an adventure....go with the flow...surprised your expectations are so high after all your travels.
well written,,,, as someone who obviously knows there are some things (actually many) that we don't have control over.

My friends who are from Nicaragua had plans to return since relatives promised them a plot of land if they would build a house on it. They were planning on returning to live there next year. They have now decided that Miami is a safer place to live. Their relatives that are staying in Nicaragua have acquired 'personal protection' and guard dogs for their land. Jus' sayin'.