Edge Online Check-In Available for Dec 1 Cruise, Including Facial Recognition Photo

vtcruising

My December 1st cruise is 90 days out today so I went to the website to see if I could check in. Lo and behold, I could, and it went pretty smoothly!

The X-Press passes and luggage tags weren't ready to print - a notice said that they were being processed.

The photo for the facial recognition was easy to do. You need to upload a picture of yourself. Here are a couple of screen shots of what you see when you get to the photo part.

enhance

enhance

I easily uploaded a picture of myself and everything went through. I purposefully did not enter one for my DH to see what would happen (since there was no explanation about what to do if you didn't want to add a picture). His went through just fine as well so likely his would be done on the ship the usual way. I will add his later and I can edit mine, if I get a better one.

All in all, easy peasy and I am even more excited now that I am all checked in for an Edge cruise!! :D:D

Glad this worked out for you

I am still dreading this..we are lo tech. Pls excuse these dumbo questions...

Where did you get a photo ? .our computer does not take photos...and that's where the Cruise manager website is located for us...

Do first take a photo with our phone or tablet, then send it to our computer desktop or photo gallery, and then access the Cruise Manager page, and then upload it from there..???

Buttons look nice but the actually process is not really explained...

We will possibly try it but otherwise will wait on line with the masses...not sure how this speeds up check in anyhow...

Glad this worked out for you

I am still dreading this..we are lo tech. Pls excuse these dumbo questions...

Where did you get a photo ? .our computer does not take photos...and that's where the Cruise manager website is located for us...

Do first take a photo with our phone or tablet, then send it to our computer desktop or photo gallery, and then access the Cruise Manager page, and then upload it from there..???

Buttons look nice but the actually process is not really explained...

We will possibly try it but otherwise will wait on line with the masses...not sure how this speeds up check in anyhow...

I actually took some selfies against a white wall that came out okay (at least as good as what they usually take in the port :D). I use my laptop, so I just emailed myself the selfies and saved them in my photo files. When you click on "add photo" on the X website, it takes you to your computer files. I chose the picture I wanted and it uploaded it into the circle. You can do it in less steps, such as just do the whole process on your tablet or smartphone, but I prefer to work on the X website in the full-sized mode so sent myself the pictures.

Thanks , that's what I thought and I'm sure my husband will laugh at me..

We do the Cruise Planner on our big screen Computer but will use the phone for the photos.

We are thinking about not even taking the lap top on the cruise. Our phones stay in the safe turned off unless we decide to get off the ship in San Juan and need to call home. We can get by with my tablet and computer center for short e mails.....only a 7 day cruise.

I may have a real problem with this......usually when asked for a photo on line or some such thing, I send them a photo of John ‘The Duke’ Wayne. We look a great deal alike: he was 6’ 5”, I’m 5’ 6”; he weighed 180lbs of pure muscle - I do too, but the ‘muscle’ is located around my stomach; he had steely blue eyes and called everybody ‘pilgrim’; I have watery red eyes and call my daughters by the wrong name.

My wife says I should be more realistic and send a photo of Groucho Marx! I don’t think either will work for this.What do you think???

Den

We are going on the Sep 29 Royal Caribbean President's cruise..... when doing online check in they also asked for a photo.... straight on shot against a light back ground... Worked great... the other change was that the set sail pass was a piece of paper with boarding info... but no place for signature for charges... apparently that is not necessary on Royal anymore.... looks like the two divisions are coordinating some of the online check in stuff. as a side note... it is going to be fun to compare all the great stuff royal is doing on this special cruise to the neat stuff planned for the two maiden voyages.... looking forward to it

I may have a real problem with this......usually when asked for a photo on line or some such thing, I send them a photo of John ‘The Duke’ Wayne. We look a great deal alike: he was 6’ 5”, I’m 5’ 6”; he weighed 180lbs of pure muscle - I do too, but the ‘muscle’ is located around my stomach; he had steely blue eyes and called everybody ‘pilgrim’; I have watery red eyes and call my daughters by the wrong name.

My wife says I should be more realistic and send a photo of Groucho Marx! I don’t think either will work for this.What do you think???

Den

I would go with John Wayne. They took my picture of Marilyn Monroe without any problem.... ;)

Guess they'll be expecting all sorts of Celebrities onboard!

Still not sure what we'll do with this , but to avoid a long photo line, I may be able to talk dh into it...We are both quite distrustful of X website, and as a retired programmer he thinks it s...ks.....But this could be a harmless timesaver!

• 3 weeks later...

I completed our on line check in today for the Dec. 9th sailing and printed our Express Pass. It's getting real now!!! 😁

I took pictures of myself and DH but never got an option to upload our photos during the check in process. Has anyone else had this problem?

Called X's Captains Club and the agent didn’t know anything about this new option. She put me on hold then came back to say don’t worry about it, they will take your picture at the port...?!

It's too bad X has spent time and money investing in this new technology but apparently didn’t put more effort into training their front line people.

I completed our on line check in today for the Dec. 9th sailing and printed our Express Pass. It's getting real now!!!

I took pictures of myself and DH but never got an option to upload our photos during the check in process. Has anyone else had this problem?

Called X's Captains Club and the agent didn’t know anything about this new option. She put me on hold then came back to say don’t worry about it, they will take your picture at the port...?!

It's too bad X has spent time and money investing in this new technology but apparently didn’t put more effort into training their front line people.

Someone else mentioned that they didn't get asked for a photo. I wonder if they are only doing the facial recognition for a certain percentage of passengers for these early cruises in order to work out the bugs? Mine did ask for a photo from us - likely the people without a photo will get in first. ;)

Called X back and got everything sorted thanks to a wonderful CC agent who was very well informed.

It appears you have to log onto X using your password to check in, not just press the “Check in” button on the their webpage. If you don’t log in the photo option will not be available.

Called X back and got everything sorted thanks to a wonderful CC agent who was very well informed.

It appears you have to log onto X using your password to check in, not just press the “Check in” button on the their webpage. If you don’t log in the photo option will not be available.

Of course, the website strikes again! Glad that mystery is solved. :D

Someone else mentioned that they didn't get asked for a photo. I wonder if they are only doing the facial recognition for a certain percentage of passengers for these early cruises in order to work out the bugs? Mine did ask for a photo from us - likely the people without a photo will get in first. ;)

The second X agent did check to see if facial recognition was available for our sailing and it was. Anyone not seeing the photo option needs to log on using their password. You can add your photo even if you have already checked in and printed your boarding pass.