Recommended Italian restaurant near midtown Manhattan?

Odonpeg

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I highly recommend it . I have been there several times and the food and service has always been great. There is a museum there as well.

Hi Lenny, let me ask another question.....(will I ever stop asking LOL)…….I was looking at a map and it seems like it would be  quick walk from my hotel to the Tavern. Do you think I could just go without a reservation and have time to eat and then catch a cab to the show?

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Lenny, let me ask another question.....(will I ever stop asking LOL)…….I was looking at a map and it seems like it would be  quick walk from my hotel to the Tavern. Do you think I could just go without a reservation and have time to eat and then catch a cab to the show?

It can be very crowded. It would be best to have a reservation.You might want to eat early and have a relaxing dinner without worryin about getting to the show on   time.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

It can be very crowded. It would be best to have a reservation.You might want to eat early and have a relaxing dinner without worryin about getting to the show on   time.

That is part of the problem...…...my flight gets in at 2:15...….it will probably take at least an hour to get my luggage, a cab and get to the hotel...…..so say 3:30---3:45..…(it is now almost 4:00).  Get to the hotel, take a shower, change clothes....go to dinner.....I didn't think this was going to be so tight (time frame wise). I may just stay at the hotel and won't have to rush to go anywhere...…...the Concierge at the hotel can call me a cab to see the show.  The hotel has multiple places to eat on site. 

Even to get to the Tavern for an early dinner will be sort of a rush.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

That is part of the problem...…...my flight gets in at 2:15...….it will probably take at least an hour to get my luggage, a cab and get to the hotel...…..so say 3:30---3:45..…(it is now almost 4:00).  Get to the hotel, take a shower, change clothes....go to dinner.....I didn't think this was going to be so tight (time frame wise). I may just stay at the hotel and won't have to rush to go anywhere...…...the Concierge at the hotel can call me a cab to see the show.  The hotel has multiple places to eat on site. 

Even to get to the Tavern for an early dinner will be sort of a rush.

Just as another thought...

You're in "the city that never sleeps". Many restaurants are open for post-theater dining.  Maybe grab late lunch/heavy snack before the show, and do a late dinner? That's far more common than you might think in Manhattan (my next reservation is for I think 10:45...). Shoot for a half hour or so beyond the running time of the play, unless you plan to head back downtown and eat there.

8 hours ago, markeb said:

Just as another thought...

You're in "the city that never sleeps". Many restaurants are open for post-theater dining.  Maybe grab late lunch/heavy snack before the show, and do a late dinner? That's far more common than you might think in Manhattan (my next reservation is for I think 10:45...). Shoot for a half hour or so beyond the running time of the play, unless you plan to head back downtown and eat there.

Good morning, thank you for the suggestion but eating that late won't do it for me....I am sure there are plenty of folks who eat in those very late hours but I am not one of them.

I will figure something out and as mentioned, If I need to eat at the hotel to give myself some "relaxing time" it will be worth it to me.:classic_smile:   The show starts at 7. I don't know how long it lasts but I have a feeling after traveling all day all I will want to do after it is go back to the hotel. 

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The city may never sleep but I do not know anyone who will go for a dinner meal after a show that ends close to 11 PM . 

Hi Lenny, not me.  Too late for me.

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The city may never sleep but I do not know anyone who will go for a dinner meal after a show that ends close to 11 PM . 

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, thank you for the suggestion but eating that late won't do it for me....I am sure there are plenty of folks who eat in those very late hours but I am not one of them.

I will figure something out and as mentioned, If I need to eat at the hotel to give myself some "relaxing time" it will be worth it to me.:classic_smile:   The show starts at 7. I don't know how long it lasts but I have a feeling after traveling all day all I will want to do after it is go back to the hotel. 

Definitely not for everyone, but I've been amazed how busy top end restaurants can be in Manhattan for 10:30-11:00 reservations. And you're not leaving until 1 in the morning...

And I've done it when that was the time I could get for someplace I really wanted to go!

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:10 AM, lenquixote66 said:

I have lived in NYC most of my life and cannot recall ever going to dinner after a play.

(my best friends wife is also Lois R)

Hi Lenny, funny...…….Lois R up there too.:classic_biggrin:....I bet we don't have the same last name though.

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Lenny, funny...…….Lois R up there too.:classic_biggrin:....I bet we don't have the same last name though.

Probably not because prior to meeting this couple I never met anyone with their last name.I am not going to post it but the name has 8 letters.

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Probably not because prior to meeting this couple I never met anyone with their last name.I am not going to post it but the name has 8 letters.

Good morning, mine is longer than 8 letters:classic_smile:

Hi Lenny, will do...…..and I would love to do that too.  Oh, If I had planned this whole thing a bit better, I would have flown up 2 days early, rather than just one. But it is what it is...…..I am sure I will end up having a good visit and a good cruise too.:classic_smile:

12 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Lenny, will do...…..and I would love to do that too.  Oh, If I had planned this whole thing a bit better, I would have flown up 2 days early, rather than just one. But it is what it is...…..I am sure I will end up having a good visit and a good cruise too.:classic_smile:

Hi Lois just want to make a suggestion. You never know what the traffic will be going from your hotel to the theater. For a 7;00 pm performance the doors open at 6:30. Then there’s the ladies restroom situation in NYC theaters 😱 always a very long line. We find it less stressful to get to the immediate vicinity of the theater and eat there. Nothing worse than worrying you’re going to miss the show. Plenty of places to grab a quick bite. Enjoy!

47 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Hi Lois just want to make a suggestion. You never know what the traffic will be going from your hotel to the theater. For a 7;00 pm performance the doors open at 6:30. Then there’s the ladies restroom situation in NYC theaters 😱 always a very long line. We find it less stressful to get to the immediate vicinity of the theater and eat there. Nothing worse than worrying you’re going to miss the show. Plenty of places to grab a quick bite. Enjoy!

Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it.  So either way, I am going to be in a more rushed state than not...……..oh well. Maybe not "rushed to the max" but I will have to get to the hotel, shower, change and leave in a much quicker state of mind than I was thinking to begin with.

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it.  So either way, I am going to be in a more rushed state than not...……..oh well. Maybe not "rushed to the max" but I will have to get to the hotel, shower, change and leave in a much quicker state of mind than I was thinking to begin with.

Yes. You’ll most likely have plenty of time and if you do take plenty of pictures. We always walk into a nearby hotel and sit in the lobby and nobody bothers you if you behave like you’re staying there. 

I am not a picture taker...…..I was years ago but lately (say the last 3/4 cruises) I just never took any and so I don't want to promise something I cannot deliver.    I am hoping my arrival goes smoothly and maybe I will have time to eat and see the show without any major issues:classic_smile:

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Got 2 cruise may be referring to the Marriot Hotel.If you take the elevator to the  8th floor you can sit in the lounge and nobody will bother you.

Hi Lenny, I am totally confused...…….where is this Marriott? Not sure I even understand the premise......you mean go from my hotel to the Marriott and then to the show?:classic_ohmy:...…..my whole thing was to eat dinner and go to the show.

One restaurant I haven't seen mentioned here (and it's my go-to in the Theater District, and a block from my office!) is Osteria al Doge on 44th. Great food, pleasant ambience. 

I've been to Frankie and Johnnie's -- it's pretty good but very traditional. But honestly, there's so much great food in Midtown that you'll be able to find something: just prebook on OpenTable well ahead of time for pre-theater dining.