Best place for lunch in Georgetown?

Boiler Cruiser

I have not ever been to the Caymans before. I assume that all cruise lines (we are on the Royal Princess) dock, or tender, in Georgetown.

So, here's my question. What is the best place in Georgetown to have lunch. My DW and I like to sample local cuisine, and would prefer to do so at a place or places that are not too expensive. Any suggestions?

EVERYTHING is expensive in GC....it's probably the most expensive island out there....a simple burger will run around $10 or so!

Thanks for the "heads up"! I would still like to know what everyone thinks is the best place to have lunch in Georgetown!

(BTW, burgers at Red Robin are about that price! - $10+)

If you want down-home Caribbean food, you could try Welly's Cool Spot (you will need to take a cab). It's no frills, with no view, but the food is really good - it's one of those places the locals will eat. You can get a full lunch for $15 US.

Here is a photo of their menu, to give you an idea: https://igx.4sqi.net/img/general/600x600/57353276_ectNtVyFoGqnxUATVWFrfeXScWqYkK4Jw8fnWujlHlE.jpg

Most of George Town is geared up for a combination of business folk and cruise visitors, so tends to be more upscale and/or touristy. You may not find what you want right there.

If you are willing to go a little further, take either the public bus or a taxi to Macabuca. They have several local dishes, and it's waterfront.

EVERYTHING is expensive in GC....it's probably the most expensive island out there....a simple burger will run around $10 or so!

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but a burger at most any decent sit-down restaurant will cost you $10 and especially in a resort/ tourist area. This is true of almost ALL the Caribbean islands not just Grand Cayman. Oh, FYI, St. Croix and St. Bart's (and I'm sure others) are Waaay more expensive than Grand Cayman.

BEST is very subjective ... what's your metric? What do you want to eat? Burger? Turtle?

I like Guy Harvey's place https://guyharveys.ky/ if staying in town

but usually head down to Sunset House and My Bar for some snork' or diving and then lunch there <as do many locals trying to avoid the cruise crowd down town> https://www.sunsethouse.com/island-info-my-bar-a-local-favorite

WARNING: if you look at a menu from these links the prices are in CAYMAN DOLLAR. In short, the US dollar is .80 in Cayman .... a $20 US is $16 Cayman. And the tip is also expected and if you pay with plastic may be automatic.

SO ... if you see a burger for $8CI ... just add in a 40% tip ... tip plus conversion. IOW that burger is $11.20 US with tip

Paradise is right downtown too: http://paradiserestaurant.ky/

###############

editorial comment:

there is a Marig'ville near the main tender landing. PLEASE don't eat here!!!!!!

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

BEST is very subjective ... what's your metric? What do you want to eat? Burger? Turtle?

I like Guy Harvey's place https://guyharveys.ky/ if staying in town

but usually head down to Sunset House and My Bar for some snork' or diving and then lunch there <as do many locals trying to avoid the cruise crowd down town> https://www.sunsethouse.com/island-info-my-bar-a-local-favorite

WARNING: if you look at a menu from these links the prices are in CAYMAN DOLLAR. In short, the US dollar is .80 in Cayman .... a $20 US is $16 Cayman. And the tip is also expected and if you pay with plastic may be automatic.

SO ... if you see a burger for $8CI ... just add in a 40% tip ... tip plus conversion. IOW that burger is $11.20 US with tip

Paradise is right downtown too: http://paradiserestaurant.ky/

###############

editorial comment:

there is a Marig'ville near the main tender landing. PLEASE don't eat here!!!!!!

You can't be serious about an expectation of a 40% tip!!?? I give 20% for good service. I can count on one hand the number of times service has justified my leaving more than that.

You can't be serious about an expectation of a 40% tip!!?? I give 20% for good service. I can count on one hand the number of times service has justified my leaving more than that.

He wasn’t saying to give the server a 40% tip. The “add 40% to the CI price” is a simple way to calculate tip plus the exchange rate when items on the menu are priced in CI dollars but you want to pay in US.

Most restaurants in the tourist areas will do this exchange calculation for you, and the bill will show a CI$ total and a US$ total. Many will also add in a 15% tip automatically, so read your bill carefully before paying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
We liked Breezes By The Bay (we have been twice) and it is right near the tender area, so it's very convenient.

Breezes By The Bay (Closed)

Average customer rating: 4.5

As of the end of 2017, Breezes By the Bay is closed. Sharkeez Bar and Grill now occupies the space.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...

Also don't assume you will tender in Georgetown. Depending on weather and ships anchoring that day you may get off at an alternate location around the side of the island. It's basically a fenced parking lot with a dock. Buses and taxis will be available but things are not within walking distance. 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 12:15 PM, KCMiller said:

We always stop for lunch at Casanova when we port in Grand Cayman - best Italian food we've had anywhere!  If salmon piccata (or any fresh fish piccata) is on the menu, you can't go wrong!

KC

I couldn't agree more! Wasn't sure if Casanova's was open for lunch, but it is great! You can sit outside and watch the beautiful water while you dine!

We also enjoyed Cayman Cabana when we were there over the summer.  There's some decent snorkeling right out front if you like to snorkel, and the food was quite good.  We bought some fresh fish at the fish market next door, then brought it & had them cook it at CC.  They charge on a per pound basis & include side dishes.  Prices were probably about the same (by the time we paid for the fish & cleaning, then paid to have it cooked), but it was an enjoyable experience & we knew that what we were eating was as fresh as it gets.

On 9/6/2018 at 10:42 PM, TravellingBritNY said:

If you want down-home Caribbean food, you could try Welly's Cool Spot (you will need to take a cab). It's no frills, with no view, but the food is really good - it's one of those places the locals will eat. You can get a full lunch for $15 US.

Here is a photo of their menu, to give you an idea: https://igx.4sqi.net/img/general/600x600/57353276_ectNtVyFoGqnxUATVWFrfeXScWqYkK4Jw8fnWujlHlE.jpg

Most of George Town is geared up for a combination of business folk and cruise visitors, so tends to be more upscale and/or touristy. You may not find what you want right there.

If you are willing to go a little further, take either the public bus or a taxi to Macabuca. They have several local dishes, and it's waterfront.

Love Macabuca!!!!  Away from the cruise crowds, outdoor seating right on the water, just love the ambience.